Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,461 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm new to this site and cannot figure out how to post a new message, so I have to reply. Sorry about that!
We are relocating to the Reston area from Overland Park, KS. Our plan is to be out there for about 2 years and then move back to this area. Obviously the cost of living in NOVA is pretty high compared to where we live now. We are thinking of renting since we will only be out there for 2 years, but we're a little worried about space. We have 1 child and one on the way. Renting a house could also be an option. My husband will be working in Reston and we would like to live close to cut down on his commute time. Any suggestions?? I'm going to look in Vienna, I haven't heard much about that area yet. Thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 01:45 PM

6 posts, read 22,818 times

Old 09-13-2007, 12:42 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
you should be able to find a nice rental house in Reston and or Vienna. The rental market is very good right now because of the soft market. People who need to move (relo's etc) and bought in the last few years are putting thier homes up for rental to wait out the soft market.

Look on craigs list and military by owner. Since you husband is working in Reston I'd look thier first and if you can't find anything you like or in your price range move out...just try and stay with in 10-15 miles of his work place to make the commute alot less hassle!

Old 09-13-2007, 02:33 PM

790 posts, read 1,880,267 times
I second the idea about looking in Reston. I really like that area. Some people think it is a bit pricey, but you might be able to find a good deal. The commute will be super-easy for your husband and I think Reston is very family friendly. Best of luck!

Old 09-13-2007, 06:13 PM

76 posts, read 345,328 times
If your husband is working in Reston and you do not have a commute, and price is an issue, I would consider looking at Loudoun County. You will get more for your money in terms of a house and the neighborhoods like Ashburn, Potomac Falls, Broadlands, Brambleton, are all within a 30 min or less commute to Reston and are teeming with young families. Schools are great, and there are many conveniences. The communities are planned and the community swimming pools/teams comes with your HOA dues. (Reston is the same actually). In Vienna you need to join the swim clubs and the homes are much older. Trust me if I had $1M to spend I'd live in Oakton or Vienna mainly b/c the lots are much bigger, but on my budget of $500-700K you can get a great lifestyle and relatively new home in eastern loudoun.

What is your price range?

Old 09-16-2007, 10:18 AM

71 posts, read 316,278 times
Rent. Good single family home rentals can be had for about $2500-$3000 a month. 4 bdr/ 3+ bths, yard, finished basement, etc. Townhomes can be had for less - $2200 on down. Size, quality, age, cleanliness come into play but the sooner you decide the better as rents are going up as the ability to purchase diminishes.

The transaction costs of buying and selling in 2 years are probably not worth the effort. Were this 2003, sure, but not today.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:41 PM

6 posts, read 27,858 times
I have lived in Vienna (rented) and Reston (currently own my home there). I really like both areas, and they are close so I enjoy going to Vienna on occasion, but I love living in Reston! It's so convenient to so many things in the area and the family amenities are wonderful. There are plenty of homes/townhomes for sale and/or rent, but I think I would rent in this market if you plan to move in two years. Good luck!

Old 09-20-2007, 08:56 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
If you're relocating within Sprint Nextel from Overland, KS, you're probably working somewhere along Sunrise Valley Drive between Reston Parkway and Monroe Street. You'll probably find it more convenient to live in Greater Herndon/Reston south of the Toll Road in the SFR subsidivisions along Fairfax Co Parkway and Monroe Street as they would be a straight shot over to the Sunrise Valley office parks.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:46 PM

14 posts, read 94,042 times
Hi Ichoro,

I agree with all the above. However, let me inform you that this is an investment market and a first-time homebuyers market. For anyone who wants to own a home now can get in with Zero down, 100% financing, and a low interest rate with a good credit score. We are accepting Earnest Money Deposits as low as $2500. Mortgage payments are ranging from $2000 to $4000 depending on the price of your home. This type of market has been around many times before and always bounce back. We are getting clients in homes that already have $50,000 to $100,000 equity in it. Therefore if you have to leave in 2 yrs, you can rent or sale. How could you go wrong if you have instant money already there. This is just something to think about. Why pay my mortgage off when you can pay your own and get a big tax write off.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:13 PM

76 posts, read 345,328 times
True - but isn't it unclear how far the market will continue to fall? Another year could eat up all that "equity".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia