Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 07:18 PM

16 posts, read 90,996 times

Advertisements

My wife works in Arlington and will be moving my job to Tysons Corner also and we were looking at Haymarket Va. I know 66 can be rough traffic wise, does anyoen know average commute times, or anythign about the general area?

Thanks
Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 05:58 PM

566 posts, read 2,984,335 times
I live in the area and you can estimate that your commute will be 50 - 70 minutes and your wife's will be 70-90. Both of those are probably slightly on the high side, but I think it's better to look at it that way.

I love living here. Downtown Haymarket still has the small, hometown feel and they are very much trying to keep it that way. The traffic situation is also getting better. They just started another project to widen 66 to 8 lanes all the way to Gainesville. That project will be done in three years. Heathcote blvd will also be open soon and that will make traffic better as well and give commuters to/from Haymarket a direct path into/out of town without either having to drive to route 15 or going through the middle of Gainesville. In terms of shopping, there are already several grocery stores to choose from and a new Harris Teeter and Wegmen's will be coming soon. At least two or three town centers are being built, and two more are in the works. One of them is being built by the same people that did Fairfax Town Center - so if you have been there, you know what it will look like. There is also a Lowe's and Target here as well as everything else you would need for your house.

Good luck with your search.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the info. We put a contract on a house right off of 15 from 66. Driving up in rush hour traffic today, we got our first taste of the 66 nightmare. 5 car accident with a 18 wheeler. Only one lane got by on rt 66 at exit 60. It took us 1 hour and a half to get to Haymarket today from Arlington. But all things considered, it is not bad, as with our commute right now, it would have taken longer if an accident of the same scale happened. So worst case scenerio seems to be what happened to us today

Glad to hear about all of the future plans. I bet the locals hate the development though.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 15,490 times
Hi 2MCHPSI,

We're also moving to Haymarket (new Townhomes off of 15 from 66). So, what do you think of the traffic now that you've been living there for some time? I'll be commuting to Fairfax and my wife works in Vienna.

Hope it isn't as bad as its made out to be, esp with the I-66 widening project.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:23 PM

17 posts, read 57,329 times
Default Suggested route?

Hello there...

We are looking to buy in Haymarket too. I had posted about a month back asking about commute times and got a similar time frame (I think from the same respondent...thanks!).

Can anyone suggest a route from Haymarket (we are looking at Piedmont) to Gallows Rd (just outside the beltway)?

Thanks (future) neighbors!

Old 09-19-2007, 01:12 PM

566 posts, read 2,984,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimboat View Post
Hello there...

We are looking to buy in Haymarket too. I had posted about a month back asking about commute times and got a similar time frame (I think from the same respondent...thanks!).

Can anyone suggest a route from Haymarket (we are looking at Piedmont) to Gallows Rd (just outside the beltway)?

Thanks (future) neighbors!
There are a bunch of different ways, but I think this one might be the fastest.

Take Heathcote to 29N. Go about 3 miles and turn right on Groveton. Turn left on Balls Ford, then left again on Sudley. Get on 66E and take that to 50E and merge onto Gallows.

Coming home you can just stay on 66 til you hit the new exit for 29N and then just stay straight to get onto Heathcote.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:06 AM

17 posts, read 57,329 times
That sounds like a great place to start! Thanks! Once we get more accustomed to the area, we can always experiment!

Best wishes, Aimee

Old 10-21-2007, 06:57 AM

Well we settled and moved in. The wife and I are carpooling and it has taken between 45 minutes to 1:15 to get to Arlington. Mondays and fridays seem to be the easiest for Govt leave days. Going home is easier for some reason.

People seem overall much nicer here and laid back than what I am used to. We are loving it.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,958 times
Hello! I'm looking at moving to Haymarket (Intersection: Rt 701 Logmill rd & Rt 15 James Madison Hwy.) What would the commute be in the middle of rush hour traffic to Rosslyn,VA? And if you tried to avoid rush hour, how early or late would you have to leave Haymarket and how long would that take in comparison?

Thanks future neighbors!
Allison

Old 01-05-2013, 06:23 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,262,599 times
WOW, that is going to be a really long haul. At the height of rush, I would say 2 hrs. You would have to leave by 5:00 am or after 10:00 am to improve that timeframe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia