Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:37 PM

29 posts, read 43,022 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a townhouse in the "whisperhill" area of north Reston located behind home depot and the Reston North Park. I am a 28 year old single guy working in downtown DC.

Can you comment on the area if you are familiar with it?

1. Is it considered a "nice" neighborhood? (Is it considered the part of "north point"?)
2. I will need to commute to Metro Center. What kind of commute time am I looking at?
3. How strict are the HOA rules?
4. How is the traffic in the area? I will usually need to drive to the park and ride, the RTC, bikram studio, sport & health etc.
5. How easy/difficult will it be to rent a spare bedroom with bath? What kind of rent can be expected?

I am interested in finding more about how people and their attitudes are? Is it as "plastic" and rushed as tysons corner / dc? Or are people more friendly and easy going?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 06:36 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,079,075 times
1. Is it considered a "nice" neighborhood? (Is it considered the part of "north point"?)

Yes, it's a nice area although it's the lower priced part of north Reston with a lot of apartments in a fairly small neighborhood, so you might have some minor problems like noise issues. You're walking distance to Reston Town Center, Trader Joes, and lots of restaurants which is a plus. Also, many nice trails there. FWIW I would move there if I was your age and looking for a fun neighborhood.

2. I will need to commute to Metro Center. What kind of commute time am I looking at?

Are you taking the bus, the train or driving? It's a fairly long commute no matter which you choose. Personally, as much as I love Reston this is a deal breaker. I would choose a town much closer to your work.

3. How strict are the HOA rules?

Strict. Reston has one of the stricter HOAs in northern VA. Fantastic place to live as long as this is ok with you, but take a look at the rules and don't move there if you don't feel comfortable with them.

4. How is the traffic in the area? I will usually need to drive to the park and ride, the RTC, bikram studio, sport & health etc.

At rush hour, Reston Parkway can get congested. I personally don't find the traffic in Reston bothersome, but others have said they do.

5. How easy/difficult will it be to rent a spare bedroom with bath? What kind of rent can be expected?

No idea, maybe others can help you with this one.

I am interested in finding more about how people and their attitudes are? Is it as "plastic" and rushed as tysons corner / dc? Or are people more friendly and easy going?

The people I've met strike me as very friendly. However, please note that people in the DC metro area tend to have full lives, so if you see someone you know while out walking, it's not like he's likely to stop to chat for a long time. He'll smile and say "hello-what's-new", but then keep walking. To me that is friendly, but YMMV.

Reston has a large number of meetup groups, clubs, artistic programs, and sports groups for socializing--so, IMO, Reston is an easy place to meet people. At the same time some people seem to find it easy to make solid friendships, others say they meet a lot of people but don't make permanent friends. Again, YMMV.

Who lives there? Well, there are a lot of artsy people who live in Reston, as well as more young professionals than in the other nearby communities. Also quite a few families with young kids and retirees who have lived in the community for 40+ years. Whether or not these people seem "plastic and rushed" is up to your interpretation. They're more or less the same type of people you meet anywhere in the DC metro area--college educated, "white collar" jobs, career oriented (but also quite family oriented), upwardly mobile. Reston is a fairly wealthy community and attracts people who like being around wealthy people. Not everyone is wealthy--there's some section 8 housing, as well as plenty of people at a variety of economic levels. In the apartments near Whisperhill you're likely to meet a lot of young people who are just starting out and not yet making much money. Still, the general aura of Reston is "upper middle class."

IMO they seem pleasant and natural, but then again I'm comfortable with that demographic. We've also had people in this forum who disliked Reston because they were more comfortable with blue collar neighborhoods where people hang out in the corner pub--if that's what you want, Reston won't be a good fit at all. So, bottom line: It really depends on what you're comfortable with. Come visit to see if it's a good fit for you.

Last edited by Caladium; 04-05-2012 at 07:17 AM..

Old 04-05-2012, 07:37 AM

92 posts, read 201,597 times
"Walking distance" to Reston Town Center? A mile and a half and crossing busy Baron Cameron Road. Few people are going to do that.

If I were 28 and single I'm not sure I'd want to live in Reston (especially if I worked in DC). I'd be looking at Ballston / Clarendon. North Reston is family-friendly, not so much a hotbed of singles activity.

As for the commute, I'd say you are looking at 90 minutes each way. There is a park and ride near Target that takes you to West Falls Church, and then you take the Orange Line all the way in. My commute from that P&R to Rosslyn was routinely 60 mins each way.

Traffic in Reston isn't bad -- at any rate, that shouldn't be the showstopper for you relative to the long commute and relative lack of night life.

"How easy/difficult will it be to rent a spare bedroom with bath? What kind of rent can be expected?" -- you mean, renting your place to other people? I dunno what the market is like, except on CL there are quite a lot of ads for rooms in the $600-700 range, which suggests there is plenty of supply.

Caladium is about right on the types of people you'll meet in Reston. Not sure they are greatly different from anywhere else in the DC area. Reston townhouse complexes tend to have lots of families with young kids.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:18 AM

182 posts, read 612,493 times
A commute from Reston to Metro Center sounds awful.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,992 times
As much as I loved North Reston (lived there for almost 8 years), It wouldn't be a top choice if I had been commuting downtown. It routinely took me an hour to get to my office in Ballston using the park and ride, bus and metro.

The metro might make it somewhat shorter, but it's still a long commute.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehuster View Post
"Walking distance" to Reston Town Center? A mile and a half and crossing busy Baron Cameron Road. Few people are going to do that.
Sorry to hear that. I walk farther than that every day, since I walk to work, so that doesn't strike me as a bad walk at all. I also have friends who live on Autumnwood Drive and we've walked from their house to hear the concerts at RTC on Saturday nights. But, what can I say, I also recommend newcomers join the hiking groups to make new friends. Obviously, we like to walk.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Sorry to hear that. I walk farther than that every day, since I walk to work, so that doesn't strike me as a bad walk at all. I also have friends who live on Autumnwood Drive and we've walked from their house to hear the concerts at RTC on Saturday nights. But, what can I say, I also recommend newcomers join the hiking groups to make new friends. Obviously, we like to walk.
we've done this walk, too. We didn't do it on a daily basis, and yes, Baron Cameron is busy. But it can be done, especially since there are traffic signals and walk signs at the busiest intersections.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:32 AM

92 posts, read 201,597 times
We live less than 1.5 miles from RTC, and we hardly ever walked there even before we had kids. It is not a matter of being "too far" - we walk farther than that around the neighborhood - but other factors like crossing the busy road and not wanting to walk back late at night.

But don't let me stop you from basking in your feeling of superior virtue.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehuster View Post

But don't let me stop you from basking in your feeling of superior virtue.
Sorry, didn't mean for my post to sound that way. It just makes me sad that people don't seem to like walking as much as they once did. Life has gotten too busy, I suppose.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:55 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,558,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post

at about 3 MPH thats a 30 minute walk. I'd call that a lovely distance for a complete commute. absolutely. If someone is commuting home from DC first, then looking to head out in the (weekday) evening, do some stuff, and then come back I can see where it might be a bit more of a deterrent.

Clearly, walkability is not a binary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia