U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:14 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,051,146 times

Advertisements

Is Dominon Electric Supply a good place to shop for ceiling fans, pendant lights and such? Its prices seem much higher than similar fare from Lowe's and Home Depot. Are people paying more for better service or are its products actually higher quality than those found at the big box stores?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 10:26 PM

2,633 posts, read 3,370,522 times
I was in there and it seemed OK. To be honest, most of the lighting fixtures seemed like stuff left over from the 60's and 70's. Bad acrylics, lots of plastics, overdone chandeliers. My grandparents would probably appreciate the style, I didn't. Probably worth the drive to IKEA instead.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:56 PM

IKEA???!!! That's not exactly "quality" now, is it?

Old 04-05-2012, 03:21 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,645,366 times
I don't know if anything is 'quality' anymore since in the end it all comes from China or Mexico. I can show you a $150 shirt made in El Salvador and a $15 shirt made in El Salvador. Pick the one you like.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:55 AM

924 posts, read 1,787,860 times
I shopped at Dominion Electric Supply, but ended up getting our fans and lights from Lamp Factory in Fair Lakes due to quality and selection (if I remember correctly, it was a few years ago). The ceiling fans at Lamp Factory are definitely of a better quality than the big box stores, but also cost a good deal more. They also had some nicer lights than the big box stores, but the standard outdoor garage lights, over the vanity lights, etc, seemed like the same cheap quality stuff.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:19 AM

92 posts, read 191,639 times
It is worth going to Dominion Electric to look at what they have, since they have a wider selection than Lowes or HD. However, if you find something you like, you can usually get it cheaper from Lamps Plus.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
I don't know if anything is 'quality' anymore since in the end it all comes from China or Mexico. I can show you a $150 shirt made in El Salvador and a $15 shirt made in El Salvador. Pick the one you like.
Not everything from "China or Mexico" are of the same quality. It's not so much the end price, but what kind of quality control multinationals implement at the factories. Some brands have managed not only to maintain their quality levels but actually improve them after outsourcing to China (Tumi comes to mind).
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
I shopped at Dominion Electric Supply, but ended up getting our fans and lights from Lamp Factory in Fair Lakes due to quality and selection (if I remember correctly, it was a few years ago). The ceiling fans at Lamp Factory are definitely of a better quality than the big box stores, but also cost a good deal more. They also had some nicer lights than the big box stores, but the standard outdoor garage lights, over the vanity lights, etc, seemed like the same cheap quality stuff.
Thanks for the tip! I'll check out Lamp Factory. I am not looking to put in the cheapest fans. While I don't want to go crazy, I'd like to put quality into the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehuster View Post
It is worth going to Dominion Electric to look at what they have, since they have a wider selection than Lowes or HD. However, if you find something you like, you can usually get it cheaper from Lamps Plus.
Where is Lamps Plus and is it different from Lamp Factory?

Old 04-06-2012, 09:42 PM

361 posts, read 700,182 times
A relative works there, their business is not primarily retail. He would recommend you go to HD or Lowe's as he does. The reason being HD & Lowe's sell so many of these items they can sell at lower prices. I bought my new bathroom light thru Amazon.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:52 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,569,312 times
I believe Lamps Plus is an online retailer.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:53 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,050,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLou View Post
A relative works there, their business is not primarily retail. He would recommend you go to HD or Lowe's as he does. The reason being HD & Lowe's sell so many of these items they can sell at lower prices. I bought my new bathroom light thru Amazon.

That was my impression....that their clientele are mostly trades people. I go there occasionally for hard-to-find components like breakers for older or obsolete panels and other stuff that the big boxes don't fool with.

They're fairly cordial...but I know the proper terminology, they don't have to waste time trying to figure out what thingamajig I'm talkng about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia