Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 09:04 PM

3 posts, read 17,546 times

Advertisements

Hi All - I'm a new college grad considering a job offer in Reston and I was wondering if I could get some more info on the area. I'm in my early 20s and want to know if there are any other young professionals in the area and where the best places to live would be. Hopefully there is an area that is somewhat affordable (my salary will not be all that much to start) where I can meet other people my age that is also not too far of a commute to Reston. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I just don't want to be the only young single person stuck in suburbia surrounded by kids and minivans. I'm coming from upstate NY where the cost of living is pretty low so if anyone else who has had a similar experience could offer any suggestions that would also be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 10:53 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,355,083 times
I remembered that I had responded to a somewhat similar question about Reston awhile back, so I copied and pasted and then added and deleted some things to this older post...

Reston has your average mix of people. It's not overrun by twentsomethings, or childless thirtysomething yuppies or young families or older people. There's a bit of everything and I would imagine that you would be able to meet others in your age group here although Reston certainly isn't a magnet for young people as it's sort of "dull suburbia". One thing you should realize seeing as how you are from New York is the fact that the layout of our suburbs is different in Northern Virginia. They tend to be very sprawly and not pedestrian-friendly. This isn't the sort of place like they have up there (I used to live in the Northeast) where there's a nice walkable downtown full of restaurants and small businesses. Nope. This is the land of massive strip malls and Applebees and Best Buys and the like. While a planned community, Reston isn't really an exception to this rule. Reston has the Reston Town Center which is a faux-downtown it constructed from scratch some 15 years ago or so which is very nice and yuppie and crowded with people who crave a more authentic downtown urban atmosphere, but that's pretty much it; and of course, you have to drive TO the Reston Town Center unless you live in one of the luxury condos that are on it's periphery. All of those areas though, are a bad commute to Reston.

Northern Virginia as a whole is expensive. I'm not exactly sure of the comparative cost of living in upstate New York but I'm sure it will be a bit of a shock although the difference is most pronounced in housing prices rather than food, clothes, etc. Reston has a certain amount of housing set aside as Section 8 and was created with the intention of being a diverse community with a commitment of tolerance and integration of people of all backgrounds and income levels but truth be told, that was a long time ago and it seems that the modern day market economy has won out and Reston is with exception of the aforementioned Section 8 housing, somewhat pricy. If you were to choose to live in the Section 8 housing, well, truthfully, it isn't bad at all. There really aren't any bad dangerous areas of Reston. My favorite area is the area around Lake Anne with a nice shopping area set aside a picturesque lake with trails and greenery all around and a nice little shopping area abutting a portion of the lake.

If you are coming to the DC area on an entry-level salary (not sure how much exactly that would be) and coming by yourself, it would probably be best to rent out a room in someone's home first just because that is the cheapest thing to do. A one-bedroom apartment in the area will run at least $1000/month. Two bedrooms are cheaper (if you have a roommate of course), but renting out a room in someone's home is the cheapest and those go from anywhere from $400-800. Maybe rent a room in a home in Reston, one that's offering month-by-month renting, and then that will enable you to get a better feel for the area to determine whether or not you like Reston, or whether you'd like to live elsewhere, and also, to maybe save up some money and look for your own (or a shared) apartment. Apartment complexes are usually teeming with young twentysomethings, even in the suburbs. Generally though, anywhere outside of the Beltway is not thought to be a "hip" place and the areas with high concentrations of young people in the DC area are Northwest DC, Arlington, Alexandria and Bethesda for the most part.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:59 PM

5 posts, read 36,453 times
Default job offer in reston, virginia

hi,
I have been offered a job in reston, virginia and i am totally clueless as to what is the cost of living and average salary of an entry level candidate in this area. The pay i have been offered is in the range of $60,000 - $65,000/annum. I just want to know if this is the average salary for a software developer in this area? I am not too particular about my place for living, I would mostly go for renting an apartment in the area. As I am single, even my expenses like groceries and electricity etc would be comparatively low. Based upon the taxes in the area and the average income of a software developers, can any one please give me a rough estimate if I would be able to live and work in Reston with salary range $60,000 - $65,000/annum

Old 04-24-2007, 06:19 PM

267 posts, read 1,670,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newemployee View Post
hi,
I have been offered a job in reston, virginia and i am totally clueless as to what is the cost of living and average salary of an entry level candidate in this area. The pay i have been offered is in the range of $60,000 - $65,000/annum. I just want to know if this is the average salary for a software developer in this area? I am not too particular about my place for living, I would mostly go for renting an apartment in the area. As I am single, even my expenses like groceries and electricity etc would be comparatively low. Based upon the taxes in the area and the average income of a software developers, can any one please give me a rough estimate if I would be able to live and work in Reston with salary range $60,000 - $65,000/annum
You can easily afford an apartment in Reston. The salary isn't bad, but it's hard to judge if it's average because we don't know if you're working for a large or small company, a government contractor, etc, or if you have a 4 year or advanced degree.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:01 PM

5 posts, read 36,453 times
Default thanks for replying ... i have furnished the details u needed in this post

actually its a startup company in reston and I am just concerned about the cost of living and general expenses.. i have planned the following

- a single bedroom/ single bathroom apartment in an apartment complex.
- just basic furnitures to make up a small home for a single guy.
- driving distance (at the max 1/2 hr drive from home to work, work is in reston)
- rest all a li'l bit of groceries and appliances for home and food.
- hanging out with friends over the weekend at pubs, movies.. (would like to know how much the city caters to that)

i hold an advanced degree and this is my first job.

it would be great if someone could tell me with that kind of pay, the above needs would be satisfied and also a li'l bit of savings can be done.??? if i live and work in reston, VA.... thanks in advance.

newemployee

Old 10-12-2009, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 9,922 times
Hi, my husband is working in sanjuan PR, and im planning to join him from india. he earns around 55k/month and will that be enough to support both of us ?? the basic stuff required to setup a home is already done, and we are yet to finalise on an apartment. I might not have a job for the first 1-2 months, so had a little bit of confusion about the cost of living at reston.is it manageable with this salary?

Old 10-12-2009, 09:55 AM

257 posts, read 563,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Reston has the Reston Town Center which is a faux-downtown it constructed from scratch some 15 years ago or so which is very nice and yuppie and crowded with people who crave a more authentic downtown urban atmosphere, but that's pretty much it; and of course, you have to drive TO the Reston Town Center unless you live in one of the luxury condos that are on it's periphery.
I want to clarify your last thought -- there are plenty of non-luxury condos that are within walking distance of the RTC -- specifically on the east side of Reston Parkway. ScranBarre has named several -- Charter Oak, Parc Reston, The Sycamores...

Old 10-12-2009, 10:06 AM

8,967 posts, read 21,048,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archanaarun View Post
Hi, my husband is working in sanjuan PR, and im planning to join him from india. he earns around 55k/month and will that be enough to support both of us ?? the basic stuff required to setup a home is already done, and we are yet to finalise on an apartment. I might not have a job for the first 1-2 months, so had a little bit of confusion about the cost of living at reston.is it manageable with this salary?
Assuming you have no debts, you will be able to live okay but not extravagantly. $1200-1300 might be typical to rent a 1 bedroom.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:25 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,618,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archanaarun View Post

55k/month? That's 660k annually...not too shabby.

Yeah, a couple can live pretty well on that around here....if they clip coupons!

Old 10-12-2009, 03:39 PM

32,602 posts, read 77,235,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
55k/month? That's 660k annually...not too shabby.

Yeah, a couple can live pretty well on that around here....if they clip coupons!
Sadly I know some people in NoVA who wouldn't be able to "survive" on $660,000/year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia