U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 11:56 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,035,792 times

Advertisements

"The winning bidder, according to documents available on the KLNB website, would build a 58,000 to 65,000 square foot Safeway with two to three floors of residences above, depending on which zoning the project receives. The developer would also buy the development rights to the space above the store.
Current zoning allows the building to rise to 35 feet “by right,” meaning the developer can build whatever building it wishes so long it follows basic rules and regulations of construction. That height usually accommodates three floors."

as of right, they can build 35 FEET. about 3 floors.

"If the developer asks for the next level of zoning, the building could rise to 45 feet plus penthouses atop. At that point, the zoning requires the building be located adjacent to the sidewalk--that is, no parking in front. The parking would move to the sides of, behind or below the building."

IF they get the rezoning (article not clear on if they are asking for that, or the likelihood of getting it) They could build to 45 FEET. not 45 stories.

They can ask for the rezoning, but they may not get it, or the county may ask for concessions in exchange. And no, 45 feet is NOT what gets built in the middle of balston.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 12:02 PM

5,754 posts, read 10,199,551 times
Yes, I misread "feet" for "stories" at first--but still, nobody wants a 45-foot building (with penthouse--so add say 10-12 feet to that) right behind their yard, with windows looking down on them.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Yes, I misread "feet" for "stories" at first--but still, nobody wants a 45-foot building (with penthouse--so add say 10-12 feet to that) right behind their yard, with windows looking down on them.

penthouses means recessed I guess, so not windows looking over them.

and yeah, lots of people will pay a premium for privacy - including 20 acres of woods. The point is whether a 35 ft building makes that much differnce to make the SFH use on the parcel across the street unviable. The way say a 6 lane speedway through the heart of a neighborhood does.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Having lived next door to a McMansion, I think the a two story house thats too close is a bigger deal than a 4 story building across the street.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
penthouses means recessed I guess, so not windows looking over them.

and yeah, lots of people will pay a premium for privacy - including 20 acres of woods. The point is whether a 35 ft building makes that much differnce to make the SFH use on the parcel across the street unviable. The way say a 6 lane speedway through the heart of a neighborhood does.
Unviable? No. But will it reduce their value to the point that the overall cost of getting the land under them is palatable to a developer who wants to build an apartment complex? Very possibly. (A lot depends on how large the houses are, whether they've been renovated, and the size of the lots they sit on.)

Old 05-16-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Unviable? No. But will it reduce their value to the point that the overall cost of getting the land under them is palatable to a developer who wants to build an apartment complex? Very possibly. (A lot depends on how large the houses are, whether they've been renovated, and the size of the lots they sit on.)

No, the question is whether the value get so low the land owner can claim that maintaining the existing zoning is a hardship. That, IIUC is a great deal lower than what would justify an apartment complex.

Again, I just don't see that what you are talking about actually happens much - as in the case of Silver Spring, hirises are usually built on lots that have been parking lots, or commercial properties, since well before neourbanism appeared in the region - and most places where residential has shifted to commercial, are small older houses adjacent to roads that were widened to 4 or 6 lane arterials to accommodate autocentric development and which made SFH zoning a hardship on the property owners - and which, after being rezoned, were used as low density commercial properties for years before some developer got their eye on them.

If you can find me a cheap SFH within easy walking distance of one of the RBC metro stations I would LOVE to hear about it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/23874437-post5.html

think the SFHs in the last picture in the post above are cheap? I don't.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:26 PM

checking the colored fish part, there don't seem to be any SFHs close to RBC for under 500k (and damned few for under 600k)

The only nearby place with SFHs listing for under 500k is right on Arlington Blvd. I would suggest if you fear SFH's dropping in value to the level where keeping them as SFHs would be a hardship, you might be more concerned about the impact of traffic on Rte 50, and ways to lessen that impact, rather than on creep from RBC.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:37 PM

The landowner doesn't need to claim a hardship in order for a developer to offer to buy the property.

I recall from looking at historic aerial photos that there used to be SFHs in Lyon Park just east of Washington Blvd. where there are now apartments, just north of where Tallulah is (south of 10th St.). There are also some old farmhouses in Rosslyn (I believe on Wilson) that have probably been torn down by now, to make way for apartments.

And then there's that entire area north of the Ballston Metro, allong Stuart and Taylor streets--townhouses (fairly nice ones, actually) surrounding a few small houses that look to be rentals now and that I'm sure will not be long for this world. I'm 99% sure those townhouses replaced similar SFHs.

I didn't say the houses behind the Safeway would drop so much in value as to be considered cheap (certainly not under $500K); I said that the addition of multiple people's windows overlooking a backyard will lower that home's market value. (Surely you would not debate that point.) If the owners don't like living with the new development behind them, they will try to sell.

At any rate, let's see what happens in the next year as far as home sales in that area.

As I said before, I would not mind something going in there. (A nice, large Starbucks with lots of parking would be fantastic.)

Re. kosher Thai: If kosher Chinese is close enough, I'm assuming you already know about the place next to Kosher Mart in Rockville. (In fact, they might actually try making pad Thai for you if you call and suggest it. They wouldn't be the first restaurateurs to offer another ethnic group's cuisine due to market demand.)

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 05-16-2012 at 01:48 PM..

Old 05-16-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
The landowner doesn't need to claim a hardship in order for a developer to offer to buy the property.
and if the property zoned is for SFHs, then the developer has bought themselves a SFH. And AFAIK Arlington (like other jurisdictions) does not rezone individual SFHs (or even pairs) for high density developments (Fairfax allowed rezoning at metro west, but the developer had bought out an entire subdivision of over a hundred homes, AND that was right next to a metro station)

The pattern is SFH to commercial to high density. The intermediate step usually being some crappy semi decayed looking commercial use of the old house. Which requires rezoning, usually only granted for hardship, AFAICT.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:

I recall from looking at historic aerial photos that there used to be SFHs in Lyon Park just east of Washington Blvd. where there are now apartments, just north of where Tallulah is (south of 10th St.). There are also some old farmhouses in Rosslyn (I believe on Wilson) that have probably been torn down by now, to make way for apartments.

And then there's that entire area north of the Ballston Metro, allong Stuart and Taylor streets--townhouses (fairly nice ones, actually) surrounding a few small houses that look to be rentals now and that I'm sure will not be long for this world. I'm 99% sure those townhouses replaced similar SFHs.
Unless I see some specific documentation that there were actually upzonings of what had been SFH residential only to high density, my working assumption will be that the SFHs were rezoned commercial, if not torn down for parking, earlier. Since thats what happened in all the cases (other than MetroWest) that I do know about. Note, Im thinking in terms of recent decades - during WW2 when the govt was panicing to create housing for war workers, and folks in DC were hot sheeting, anything is possible I suppose.

And actually Im not quite that strictly observant yet - the kosher thai reference was to illuminate that economies of scale sometimes mean what cannot get what one wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia