Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 05:41 PM

74 posts, read 136,148 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have good resources for finding these services for the northern va area? Angies List? Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 06:34 PM

531 posts, read 1,433,977 times
I found Angie's List to be helpful. The site has ratings, reviews, and coupons.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:08 PM

9,902 posts, read 14,247,329 times
I am a member of Angie's List and feel it has provided me some good recommendations on contractors. That being said, they have a (IMO) shady practice of renewal. Unless you call and make them change your preferences, they have an "automatic renewal policy" and will charge your credit card. While that might not be so bad, it is important to note that their "renewal rate" is $80 per year, which is significantly higher than the rate quoted on the website. By having automatic renewal, many people might not notice the increase.

I did, and immediately complained. If you call, they will give you the old rate, but it is not automatic.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:07 PM

531 posts, read 1,433,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I am a member of Angie's List and feel it has provided me some good recommendations on contractors. That being said, they have a (IMO) shady practice of renewal. Unless you call and make them change your preferences, they have an "automatic renewal policy" and will charge your credit card. While that might not be so bad, it is important to note that their "renewal rate" is $80 per year, which is significantly higher than the rate quoted on the website. By having automatic renewal, many people might not notice the increase.

I did, and immediately complained. If you call, they will give you the old rate, but it is not automatic.
Thank you for the reminder. I paid $18 for the first year through Groupon. I will look out for the renewal rate.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:18 PM

13 posts, read 45,709 times
we've hired some great people via servicemagic; you put in your info for the job you want and get calls from people looking for that work. we've liked that all the responses (maybe the focus for servicemagic?) have been from small, independent businesses.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:20 AM

301 posts, read 694,034 times
Angie's List and Washington Checkbook have worked well for me.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:30 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,767,636 times
We have Angie's List and Checkbook. So far I like Checkbook a lot better. Angie's doesn't feature all contractors--just ones that pay to be included. So I've found a couple of good contractors on CC that were not listed on Angie's at all. Also, a couple of contractors with very high reviews on A.L. did not even return my calls!

One major flaw of Angie's List is that you can't exclude companies that have a certain number of low grades from your search--just those with an average grade of whatever you pick. There's no way I'd hire a company with three bad reviews, because that's a pattern. And yet a company with three bad reviews could easily have an average grade of B or even A.

And I think people are more candid in their reviews on Checkbook, because with Angie's, contractors get notified the minute a review is written and can call you up to beg you to retract a bad grade.

I don't think we'll renew with Angie's. (It's true that renewal is automatic, but they tell you that up front in a big obvious screen message you have to click.)

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 05-30-2012 at 06:50 AM..

Old 05-30-2012, 06:38 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,189,265 times
Don't waste your time on people you meet at the Home Show. We're remodeling a bathroom this year, and every single contractor we met through the home show was a disaster. Lots of people who were not very competent and lots of people who will try to bully you into work you don't need done. Lots of people who will come to your house, take measurements, and then you never hear from them again. We're never, ever going the route of looking for contractors through the Home Show again.

We've had good luck with Angie's List, although we probably also will not be renewing our subscription after we finish this project. Also, local tile shops have lists of contractors they work with. For us, the list from The Tile Shop turned out to be the best way to get recommendations.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:43 AM

271 posts, read 448,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Don't waste your time on people you meet at the Home Show. We're remodeling a bathroom this year, and every single contractor we met through the home show was a disaster. Lots of people who were not very competent and lots of people who will try to bully you into work you don't need done. Lots of people who will come to your house, take measurements, and then you never hear from them again. We're never, ever going the route of looking for contractors through the Home Show again.

We've had good luck with Angie's List, although we probably also will not be renewing our subscription after we finish this project. Also, local tile shops have lists of contractors they work with. For us, the list from The Tile Shop turned out to be the best way to get recommendations.
Hey Caladium,
Which Tile shop? I have only been to the one in Manassas, but just to look around with the wife for different ideas on a backsplash for the kitchen.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:47 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,189,265 times
It's called The Tile Shop, and it's in a strip mall on Rt. 7 near Cascades Parkway (the one with Target, Total Wine and Costco). It's a fun shop to visit, BTW. Lots of great displays, and they cater to the DIY market so the contractors tend to be reasonably priced and not "designers" who want to bully you into a $75,000 redesign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia