Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 06:40 AM

617 posts, read 1,356,319 times

Advertisements

Initially I would have thought they were doing a tire rotation if it was part of the inspection, mostly because of what someone else said, the tires on a 4 year old Toyota aren't particularly valuable, assuming they're originals or were replaced awhile ago.

You said they looked worn, but do you visually inspect your tires on a regular basis, or did you only do that after you got a flat. I know I'm lazy about that sort of thing, I just get in my car and drive and don't really pay the tires any mind unless my tire gauge light comes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 07:12 AM

7 posts, read 12,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
Initially I would have thought they were doing a tire rotation if it was part of the inspection, mostly because of what someone else said, the tires on a 4 year old Toyota aren't particularly valuable, assuming they're originals or were replaced awhile ago.

You said they looked worn, but do you visually inspect your tires on a regular basis, or did you only do that after you got a flat. I know I'm lazy about that sort of thing, I just get in my car and drive and don't really pay the tires any mind unless my tire gauge light comes on.
It just happens that I have to check my tires often enough, because this "computer" car keeps giving me an orange light on tires. Too much air? not enough air? I search online and many people had the same false alarm with the same model. But I know my tires.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:21 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greensleelves2 View Post
It just happens that I have to check my tires often enough, because this "computer" car keeps giving me an orange light on tires. Too much air? not enough air? I search online and many people had the same false alarm with the same model. But I know my tires.
So what condition did your tires appear in last time you looked? They couldn't have looked very new if they're 4 years old. If you're sure they switched your tires then do what others suggested, confront the manager as calmly as possible and if that doesn't resolve it call the police.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:35 AM

419 posts, read 902,479 times
Find the info on your tires, they have aDOT number and check the ones on your car. See if they match. If you do not have the info the dealer you bought the car from will or the tire company you bought them from.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:16 AM

487 posts, read 1,358,081 times
Are you saying your newer tires were removed from the rims and replaced with old tires?. If so that takes quite a bit of time.
Or perhaps the entire wheel was replaced. rims and tires. that could be done in the time frame you describe, but the older wheels would have to match the lug nut pattern. Its not universal.
Is it possible that you just did not recognize the worn condition of your tires until you had the flat?
The idea of switching out all 4 tires just seams a bit far fetched.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:26 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
Are you saying your newer tires were removed from the rims and replaced with old tires?. If so that takes quite a bit of time.
Or perhaps the entire wheel was replaced. rims and tires. that could be done in the time frame you describe, but the older wheels would have to match the lug nut pattern. Its not universal.
Is it possible that you just did not recognize the worn condition of your tires until you had the flat?
The idea of switching out all 4 tires just seams a bit far fetched.
That's true. To mount and balance four wore out tires just to capture 4 old tires isn't worth it. In that area of town there are a few "Used Tire" shops that seem a little on the shady side, thinking that this is how that racket works perhaps.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:36 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,211 times
I would do as the above suggested and definitely try to track the # on the tires first to be absolutely sure they were switched. Otherwise, it may very well be a case of confirmation bias.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:59 PM

957 posts, read 2,021,692 times
A few things
1 - Did you see the actual tire separate from the wheel (in which case there is no reason for that and your tires were likely switched), or was the wheel (metal piece the tire goes around) and tire only removed from the car (with tire still attached to wheel)? As stated, they need to visually inspect the brakes on a front and rear corner. Many wheels today have openings big enough to see through, in which case they might not be removed. If the tire was off the wheel, you are probably right, there was a switch. That takes a while though. If the wheel was with the tire, as said above, only a full wheel switch could have happened and the likelihood they have the same wheels around with older tires is small.

2 - If the tires were bought with the car, I'm not sure that the dealer would have the DOT#'s of the car. At the very least, you can check the date code on the tires, and see if it is a little before the manufacturer (not sold) date of the car. If it is much earlier (like years) or later, than a switch may have been made.

3 - A flat tire doesn't indicate the tires condition. If it is from a road hazard (nail, etc), it could happy to any tire. An older tire is only slightly more likely to leak due to thinner tread until hitting air. If the tire was flat because it was leaking from not sitting on the rim properly, that's a different story.

4 - If you have been driving with the tire pressure warning light on, you are very likely to prematurely wear out the tires. It is certainly possible that light was from a "malfunction", but more likely from improperly inflated tires. If that is the case, then your worn tires aren't a surprise. Also, don't underestimate the dangers of driving with under-inflated tires, they will overheat and may cause a catastrophic blow-out.

5 - 2008 and later Toyota's use a tire pressure monitoring system with sensors in each wheel. That means if the wheels (and not just tires) were switched, they would also need to retrain the senors, or your pressure light would be constantly on. That adds more time to the ordeal, and unless you were waiting a while, is not likely.

Good luck in what seems like a frustrating situation.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:38 PM

199 posts, read 672,546 times
How many miles did you have on your tires? Some of the stock tires Toyota puts on you're lucky to get 4 years out of.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:42 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greensleelves2 View Post
We were getting the "low tire pressure" light as well - did you know that the spare tire might have a sensor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia