Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 02:14 PM

262 posts, read 790,510 times

Advertisements

Hopefully this is a new question on this forum! Please provide your opinion of the following:

your metro (DC metro - raising family, activities, weekend entertainment)
your state (Virginia, to include the mountains, beach, wineries, Universities, politics, etc.)
your region (Boston-Washington corridor -- economy, entertainment/travel, etc.)

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 07:33 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,700,168 times
What's this for?

Old 06-19-2012, 08:29 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,329,864 times
Rate how? What's the scale?

Old 06-19-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
What's this for?
Why I am asking about DC metro: My long-pending move to either NoVa or Philly metro

Why I am asking about the state: I was recently in Calif., and it seemed like the most "complete state" in the nation. Great cities, ocean, great mountain, food, wineries. It seems like VA might be another "complete state" - seemed like when I last drove (not I-95, but the route thru VA Tech area) from NoVa to Atlanta where I live, there was a strech of wineries. Was wondering how successful they were. I had been to VA Beach a few years back, and I thought it was pretty good. As an additional question, would you guys consider living in another part of VA as an alternative to NoVa, if the opportunity arose.

Why I am asking about the region (Bos-Wash): Seems like there is no other place in the world (including in Europe) where 5 good-to-great cities are concentrated as they are in BosWash. I was wondering if you guys appreciate that. Or is the DC metro too isolated from NYC and Boston to think of it as a region.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Rate how? What's the scale?
Either use a 1 (real bad) to 10 (great) scale. Or just provide comments about each item. Thanks!

Old 06-20-2012, 04:29 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athensvaasi View Post
Why I am asking about the region (Bos-Wash): Seems like there is no other place in the world (including in Europe) where 5 good-to-great cities are concentrated as they are in BosWash. I was wondering if you guys appreciate that. Or is the DC metro too isolated from NYC and Boston to think of it as a region.
Frankly I'd rather be living in Rome or Paris. They seem more "complete" to me.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:37 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,491,822 times
Sure...where's the ocean in Paris? Are you counting Montmartre as mountains?

Old 06-20-2012, 05:53 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Sure...where's the ocean in Paris? Are you counting Montmartre as mountains?
Depends what you consider complete. I'll take a sidewalk cafe or stroll through the garden shops along the Seine.

To answer the OP: I would not consider living in another part of VA. I actually find it kind of dull. Pretty but dull.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:57 AM

To be a little more serious, Bos-Wash can be considered as a single region, but it's kind of far to go from one end of it to the other. DC is decidedly on one end. Baltimore is an hour away by car, Philadelphia is around three, and New York about four and a half. All those are doable, and each is easily reachable via Amtrak as well. Boston is a different story. It's better than eight hours by car even if you go like a bat out of hell. It's nearly as long by train. A lot of people just FLY it. You can FLY to Buenos Aires, for crying out loud. You could probably make a better case for Pittsburgh (a little over four hours away by car) being a part of the DC universe than Boston.

No, Richmond-lovers. Unless your are from there, Richmond doesn't count.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Depends what you consider complete. I'll take a sidewalk cafe or stroll through the garden shops along the Seine.
Nice. Heckuva commute to K Street, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
To answer the OP: I would not consider living in another part of VA. I actually find it kind of dull. Pretty but dull.
I feel the same way. There are some lovely sights and some wonderful people to be found about the rest of the state, but after that, the list gets a little short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia