Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:03 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,741,467 times

Advertisements

Good synopsis, ACWhite.

Evidently the vice rectum--I mean, rector--of the Board of Visitors has resigned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 09:05 AM

404 posts, read 1,149,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
What's the difference between UVA and a bowl of cheerios? Cheerios know what to do in a bowl.
haha

Does the UVA name even hold any weight/clout outside of Virginia? I only know of UVA's prestige because of my own college application process but name dropping UVA doesn't seem to impress people outside of VA.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:19 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,464,170 times
Thanks, C.

Polo, look at the Business Week and US News and World Report rankings, for a start (these are online). UVA is near the top of public universities and competes well with the much richer private universities. It has been there a long time, though one of the BOV members was concerned that it has been dropping (though still near the top)--no surprise given state funding issues.

Disclaimer--I have friends on the faculty there but otherwise no connection.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:53 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,513,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post
haha

Does the UVA name even hold any weight/clout outside of Virginia? I only know of UVA's prestige because of my own college application process but name dropping UVA doesn't seem to impress people outside of VA.
UVA is considered to be one of the "public ivy league" schools, along with William & Mary, U of Michigan, UC Berkeley, UCLA, SUNY Binghamton, UNC Chapel Hill, and a few others.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:23 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,464,170 times
Smithy77, I don't know of any rating system that puts William & Mary and SUNY Binghamton in the same league as the others you named. Would you have a link? Thanks.

Of course, for any individual student, the best match is more important than a ranking number.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Smithy77, I don't know of any rating system that puts William & Mary and SUNY Binghamton in the same league as the others you named.
Actually, I've heard that too--from someone who went to UVA. (I know--Binghamton? But evidently it's quite good!)

Old 06-21-2012, 04:13 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,729,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Smithy77, I don't know of any rating system that puts William & Mary and SUNY Binghamton in the same league as the others you named. Would you have a link? Thanks.
Not Smithy77 but I do have a link.

The Princeton Review's 2012 Best Value Colleges

Old 06-21-2012, 07:35 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,913,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post
haha

Yes it's a good school and better than VT. Their programs of prestige aren't in jive with the "new economy" of IT, Engineers, Architects, scientists, technology etc. We simply don't need more lawyers and investment bankers which is sort of UVA's niche in Virginia. Still, as I said, great school, but you'll find they fall behind VT in the "real world" based on payscale.com's salary rankings and in the WSJ poll where employers ranked schools, for example. Note that this is from 18 months ago.

Best Colleges & Universities - Ranked by Job Recruiters - WSJ.com

Old 06-21-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Yes it's a good school and better than VT. Their programs of prestige aren't in jive with the "new economy" of IT, Engineers, Architects, scientists, technology etc. We simply don't need more lawyers and investment bankers which is sort of UVA's niche in Virginia. Still, as I said, great school, but you'll find they fall behind VT in the "real world" based on payscale.com's salary rankings and in the WSJ poll where employers ranked schools, for example. Note that this is from 18 months ago.

Best Colleges & Universities - Ranked by Job Recruiters - WSJ.com
I question any list that puts Arizona State above Cornell.

I didn't go to school on the East Coast, but everything I've heard is that VT is a great school for the fields you mentioned. I think UVA is (as you said) probably better for pre-law/pre-med. Yes, there are too many mediocre lawyers out there now, but there's always room at the top; I think the ones with degrees from the top schools are finding jobs.

OHMYGOD. They put Texas Tech above UVA! That's absolutely hilarious! Yeah, maybe in animal husbandry or pre-NFL.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:35 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,300,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I question any list that puts Arizona State above Cornell.
Or Maryland 15 slots ahead of MIT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia