U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-28-2014, 06:18 PM
 
94 posts, read 156,044 times
Reputation: 55

Advertisements

I am also considering Warrenton, thank you all for the info. I visited it and agree that it is really nice. The county had some rather remote areas. I was most worried about school quality, I'll check out the ones mentioned.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2014, 10:54 AM
 
18 posts, read 51,881 times
Reputation: 23
Im a fromer NJ/NY metro guy living in Warrenton. Im moving back to my home area soon, but I will tell you if it wasnt for Warrenton, id be out of here sooner. I have to tell you that its a change of pace and scenery once you go over that hill on Dumfries Rd. People are friendly if you are friendly, a rare mix of country/suburban, and good shops all around. I would have never though I would get used to living here, but its a great place, especially if you are moving your family in. Im hispanic (a mild skinned one at that) and I have had ZERO racist encounters. Just show some manners and a smile, and youll be fine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2014, 09:40 PM
 
94 posts, read 156,044 times
Reputation: 55
Awesome. Warrenton is sitting toward the top of my list. Also from ny here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2014, 09:41 PM
 
94 posts, read 156,044 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejiax55 View Post
Im a fromer NJ/NY metro guy living in Warrenton. Im moving back to my home area soon, but I will tell you if it wasnt for Warrenton, id be out of here sooner. I have to tell you that its a change of pace and scenery once you go over that hill on Dumfries Rd. People are friendly if you are friendly, a rare mix of country/suburban, and good shops all around. I would have never though I would get used to living here, but its a great place, especially if you are moving your family in. Im hispanic (a mild skinned one at that) and I have had ZERO racist encounters. Just show some manners and a smile, and youll be fine.
Do you recommend living close in to town, or were you out in the county?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2014, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
1,559 posts, read 1,619,940 times
Reputation: 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiquitin View Post
I live in Falls Church VA and I would like to move out to a small town like Warrenton VA if what most people here says it is. Falls Church is too racist a town for my taste. I am a Hispanic and I used to go to the Farmers Market there but I get too many hate looks and when women see me they clutch their handbags thinking that I am going to steal them. I have three academic degrees and I don't dress like a homeless person. Nevertheless I am Hispanic, I look Hispanic and for them I am a thief. I have stopped going to the farmers market.
Wow a third of the folks selling at the Wakefield farmers are Hispanic. Wonder why Falls Church market is so different.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2014, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Pahrump,NV
13 posts, read 13,716 times
Reputation: 11
Will have to take a look at Warrenton next week, sounds promising...I too will be relocating Summer of 2015...So going by mapquest/google maps etc it shows about a 35min drive from Warrenton to Tysons corner. Is that about right?

Thanks, Phil
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2014, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
7,054 posts, read 11,744,506 times
Reputation: 6489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-NV View Post
Will have to take a look at Warrenton next week, sounds promising...I too will be relocating Summer of 2015...So going by mapquest/google maps etc it shows about a 35min drive from Warrenton to Tysons corner. Is that about right?

Thanks, Phil
Between 11PM and 4AM. Then from, wait, that's it. I may be fibbing a little but most times I don't see you making it there that fast. If you lived off 17 closer to 66 it might be possible but driving 29 through Warrenton can be a pain with traffic and lights from RT 15 through Gainesville.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2014, 04:38 PM
 
1,316 posts, read 1,851,382 times
Reputation: 953
I live in Bristow and have friends/neighbors that commute to Tysons from Bristow (i.e. Warrenton add at least 30 minutes) and unless they leave by 6:00, it generally takes 90 minutes

So you're looking at 2 hours unless you leave exceedingly early
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2014, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Pahrump,NV
13 posts, read 13,716 times
Reputation: 11
*GULP! wow 1.5-2hrs...I had no idea. I would leave by 0530/0600 at the latest for work and plan to commute back around 1500.
Was originally looking at Ashburn and surrounding areas when I came across Warrenton. It looked promising until I heard about the commute times!
Back to the drawing board.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2014, 02:45 AM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
7,054 posts, read 11,744,506 times
Reputation: 6489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-NV View Post
*GULP! wow 1.5-2hrs...I had no idea. I would leave by 0530/0600 at the latest for work and plan to commute back around 1500.
Was originally looking at Ashburn and surrounding areas when I came across Warrenton. It looked promising until I heard about the commute times!
Back to the drawing board.
530 might be OK but 6 will put you in the mix. I work very close to Tyson's and I've never seen a 90 minute commute. Generally if you leave late enough it might take an hour and maybe less.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top