U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 02:54 PM

45 posts, read 130,384 times

Advertisements

OMG if you can live in Warrenton, by all means do so!! You will LOVE it! It is VERY family friendly and progressive. Don't even worry about race, you are thinking too much. When people say "mexicans" they are talking about the illegal-immigrant types. And there is nothing wrong with that either. You should not at all feel that people are "looking" at you, that is definitely in your head. This is a military area and there are so many mixed couples it's ridiculous! EVERY lady should be guarding her purse! those days of leaving it hanging out & open are OVER because of iphones etc...When your kids start school, everyone will be different. Warrenton is an awesome place. Be happy! People give some Hispanics hate looks because it's very frustrating when they pay with $20 bills for everything (bring small change!! to markets) also to be honest, it can be frustrating when they don't even TRY to speak a few words of English. Our experience is my hubby understands Spanish as most American people have a basic understanding...and the cleaning lady was talking about him in the office, and he would always treat them w/honor and respect!! He couldn't believe it. Just being honest. I'm in a mixed relation and my hubby taught me to stop using the "race" card. And take responsibility for MY actions, demeanor, & attitude! And it worked. You are fortunate to be able to live in Warrenton. You will be surrounded by fresh air, land and good folks. Lucky you!: )
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 03:55 PM

7,054 posts, read 11,744,506 times
Wow.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:18 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,051,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiquitin View Post
I live in Falls Church VA and I would like to move out to a small town like Warrenton VA if what most people here says it is. Falls Church is too racist a town for my taste. I am a Hispanic and I used to go to the Farmers Market there but I get too many hate looks and when women see me they clutch their handbags thinking that I am going to steal them. I have three academic degrees and I don't dress like a homeless person. Nevertheless I am Hispanic, I look Hispanic and for them I am a thief. I have stopped going to the farmers market.
If you think folks in Falls Church are unfriendly, I'm not sure you'd enjoy Warrenton very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiShisHouse View Post
OMG if you can live in Warrenton, by all means do so!! You will LOVE it! It is VERY family friendly and progressive. Don't even worry about race, you are thinking too much. When people say "mexicans" they are talking about the illegal-immigrant types. And there is nothing wrong with that either. You should not at all feel that people are "looking" at you, that is definitely in your head. This is a military area and there are so many mixed couples it's ridiculous! EVERY lady should be guarding her purse! those days of leaving it hanging out & open are OVER because of iphones etc...When your kids start school, everyone will be different. Warrenton is an awesome place. Be happy! People give some Hispanics hate looks because it's very frustrating when they pay with $20 bills for everything (bring small change!! to markets) also to be honest, it can be frustrating when they don't even TRY to speak a few words of English. Our experience is my hubby understands Spanish as most American people have a basic understanding...and the cleaning lady was talking about him in the office, and he would always treat them w/honor and respect!! He couldn't believe it. Just being honest. I'm in a mixed relation and my hubby taught me to stop using the "race" card. And take responsibility for MY actions, demeanor, & attitude! And it worked. You are fortunate to be able to live in Warrenton. You will be surrounded by fresh air, land and good folks. Lucky you!: )
(1) Just how are "illegal-immigrant types" different from other Hispanics?
(2) Why do you think residents of exurbia will take the time to differentiate that PP from "illegal-immigrant types"?
(3) How is paying with $20 bills annoying and worth giving hate looks?
(4) Perhaps the office cleaning lady has a different opinion of your husband than you do?

With that said the color that matters most in exurbia is green.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:26 AM

142 posts, read 242,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiShisHouse View Post

This should be nominated as Post of the Year.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:31 PM

3 posts, read 1,696 times
Unhappy Jackson VN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacker17 View Post
I grew up in Warrenton and attended the public schools-went on to college in new england. I have to say that is was a great place to grow up. I now live in the NY metro area and I dream of living back in Warrenton especially for the small town feel and of course the property that we weren't on top of our neighbors. There is something special about Warrenton. Good for you I hope it works out for you.
There's not much "small-town feel" here anymore. Big developments are coming in, and 10,000+ people live here now. All of the old bypass on Rt. 29 has shopping centers all along it from Dumfries Road to Alwington Boulevard. It's still a nice place, but there's a bunch of Yankees moving in all the time and it's harder to find the real local folks like myself anymore. Gainesville over in Prince William County is now completely developed, they tore up all the old stores and built bridges over 55 and the NS Railroad Tracks, and built a bunch of new shopping centers. The development stretches all the way along 29 from Gainesville to Opal; you can still see an occasional farm in between all of the junk but their ranks are getting thinner. Marshall is a REAL small town and a much nicer place to live, but they now have a shopping center, and there are two new housing subdivisions being built. You'll have to move to Woodstock or Edinburg to stay in the country anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia