Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I feel more connected with:
Maryland suburbs of D.C. 27 51.92%
ROVA 25 48.08%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 06:49 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,517,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, it's good to see that people in northern Virginia don't write off Maryland completely. lol.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that's the point. Certainly, there are lots of nice enough things to say about Montgomery County -- maybe about some other nearby Maryland counties as well -- but the point seems to be over some sense of "identification" or "connectedness" with either one of MD or non-Northern Virginia over the other that I don't quite get, given that none of us by definition live in either one of those places and hence can be only visitors, tourists, and other sorts of passers-through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
BTW, I've been to the tidewater area a few times and it's definitely a cool vacation spot down there.
Yes, yes, I've spent wonderful vacation weeks in Virginia Beach, but also in Maine, Florida, Wisconsin, Californis, Hawaii, Jamaica, Mexico, France, Germany, Italy, and so forth. I don't see how that can create the sort of relatedness to and personal affiliation with location that seems to be contemplated. I do understand how living in a place for a long time can see it come to grow on you. But how that is supposed to extend to perhaps even unvisited places that are tens to hundreds of miles away is just not clear in my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 07:03 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,307,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Yes, yes, I've spent wonderful vacation weeks in Virginia Beach, but also in Maine, Florida, Wisconsin, Californis, Hawaii, Jamaica, Mexico, France, Germany, Italy, and so forth. I don't see how that can create the sort of relatedness to and personal affiliation with location that seems to be contemplated. I do understand how living in a place for a long time can see it come to grow on you. But how that is supposed to extend to perhaps even unvisited places that are tens to hundreds of miles away is just not clear in my mind.
Interesting you should say that. When I was a child my family and I took a trip through RoVA and it seemed like a foreign country. Up to then no member of my family had set foot East of the Mississippi since before the civil war and in VA since the revolution. I recall my dad being too afraid to stop for gas in Washington, VA because there was a pickup truck full of redneck looking locals with rifles (probably just deer hunters). I guess he thought we'd be lynched or something. It was amusing when I discovered years later that one part of my mom's family was from there and some of those rednecks were likely my relatives. That same area out 211 is now one of my favorite places to go for a country drive.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:06 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,517,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
When I was a child my family and I took a trip through RoVA and it seemed like a foreign country.
When I was in my 30's. I took a trip to Manassas, and THAT seemed like a foreign country. That was in the 1970's and almost everything outside the Beltway would have fallen into that sort of category back then. Fortunately, I'd spent lots of time in the Deep South in the 50's and 60's, so was able to keep my bearings. Don't recall that I was bold enough to buy any gas, though. Then last year, my daughter got married there. Ya just never know...

Old 07-01-2012, 05:15 AM

361 posts, read 738,776 times
I came up in Baltimore... still have some family in that area.
My former spouse was from Lynchburg...
I like it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia