Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 03:22 PM

9 posts, read 12,961 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just got a job in the Clarendon section of Arlington and I need to make plans immediately to move everything down there.

I'm a white male, 34yo, no kids, no wife. I do have 2 cats. I don't really mind where I live all that much. I'm just not that picky.

My new salary is going to range from the high 40's to low 60's. I know this isn't much, so I'll move in with roommates if needed.

My two questions are what is the maximum distance I should live from Clarendon to accommodate a 45min commute time and what are some of the areas that I should avoid looking? Crime would be the biggest factor here.

So what would you say? I'd consider DC as well if it would be cheaper than places in VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 03:37 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,499,259 times
Your biggest concern is not much of a worry. There are very few places in Northern Virginia where crime is an actual factor at all, including Clarendon. Clarendon itself however is quite expensive. It sits right on top of Metro's Orange Line and its upscale, walkable, smart-growth, high-density environment is a mecca for yuppies. You can easily get to Clarendon on the Metro from DC in less than 45 minutes, but the nicer places in the District are expensive as well. You'd be better off cash-wise looking out to the west. You could conveniently Metro from areas like West Falls Church, Dunn Loring, Vienna, and nearby and beyond. Your employer might pick up part of the cost. Many do. Driving would mean parking in Clarendon every day, which is difficult to afford even if it can be accomplished. A handy free spot from your employer would of course change all that, but not very many provide it. How's that for starters?

Old 07-11-2012, 04:21 PM

518 posts, read 1,451,850 times
Check out the Merrifield / Dunn Loring area on the Orange line about 6 miles west of Clarendon. New retail and urban-style apartments have recently opened within walking distance of the Metro stop. That area is much less expensive than Clarendon itself.

Or you could look for apartments along Lee Highway in Arlington a short walk from Clarendon. The apartments are cheaper along Lee Highway because they are not right on the orange line but about a 10-15 minute walk away. They are also older (built in the 1930s-60s).

In DC I'd look at Columbia Heights, Petworth, and Bloomingdale. Those are very popular and beautiful DC neighborhoods with Metro access lots of small bars and cafes. Apartments there would be cheaper than in Clarendon.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:24 PM

518 posts, read 1,451,850 times
To address your main concern, I should add that there is more crime in the DC neighborhoods I mentioned than in the Virginia suburbs. But nothing to cause any alarm.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:41 AM

9 posts, read 12,961 times
Thanks for your help. I think I found a few places out in West Falls Church. The metro rail is pretty close by and only seems to be about a 10 min ride to Clarendon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia