Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 03:30 PM

13 posts, read 15,026 times

Advertisements

I accepted a job offer near Mclean and I am trying to figure out where I should live, I am 29 and my salary is around 83k. I would like to find a place that is not a terrible commute, I guess 30 mins maybe, that also has some sort of nightlife. I don't really need a rocking bar scene on the weekdays but having a few places I can watch football and have a few beers would be nice. I guess decent metro access would be a plus as well. As far as rent goes I don't really have a range but 1,500 to 2,000 seems to be the norm, let me know if I am wrong. Any advice or suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Last edited by elpiochnb4; 07-13-2012 at 04:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 05:30 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpiochnb4 View Post
I accepted a job offer near Mclean and I am trying to figure out where I should live, I am 29 and my salary is around 83k. I would like to find a place that is not a terrible commute, I guess 30 mins maybe, that also has some sort of nightlife. I don't really need a rocking bar scene on the weekdays but having a few places I can watch football and have a few beers would be nice. I guess decent metro access would be a plus as well. As far as rent goes I don't really have a range but 1,500 to 2,000 seems to be the norm, let me know if I am wrong. Any advice or suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Having that good of a salary, any reason you aren't looking to buy? Mobility?

For 83k you can likely get a 250-300k mortage and get a 2br condo in Tysons. Albeit Tysons is no Arlington, but it has plenty of happy hour choices, is a very safe area, and best of all will be a 5 minute drive (or bus ride or future metro in a year) to your job. The prices are pretty stable in the condos in Tysons as well, in fact most have risen since 2007 prices (though obviously the metro coming has part to do with that). I am also a 29 year old and I find it to be the perfect pace for me. Good sports bars, good prices on drinks, good people.

If you are looking for renting, there are lots of choices in the 1500-2000 in Tysons as well. Low range is Commons of McLean which you could afford a 2br at that price, higher end but really nice units are (Avalon, Park Crest Lofts) which for that range you can get a really baller 1br with nice spacious open feel kitchen etc, have a gym, pool, all that stuff.

If you do move to Tysons let me know I can tell you where the better spots after work hours are.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:35 PM

518 posts, read 1,450,914 times
Look also at the neighborhoods along the Orange Line in Arlington. That's the part of Northern Virginia where most young professionals live.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:33 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
Look also at the neighborhoods along the Orange Line in Arlington. That's the part of Northern Virginia where most young professionals live.
Post-college beer fest for 20-somethings? If that's not the scene one is looking for. the expense of that area will not be worth it. Within a 30-minute commute of Tysons and with decent Metro access, I'd look around in areas quasi-close to the Dunn Loring/Merrifeld, West Falls Church, and East Falls Church Metro stations. As TE has noted, Tysons itself has a lot going on, and Falls Church does too, but with a little bit of a different vibe. There is a lot of construction in Dunn Loring/Merrifield right now, but as that area begins to come on line it should be an attractive one.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:02 PM

518 posts, read 1,450,914 times
What type of neighborhood do you prefer?

If you prefer an urban area, I suggest Arlington along the Orange line or even nearby DC. The metro neighborhoods in Arlington are the premier party region for 20-somethings, but there is also a mix of families and older couples. Arlington is a demographically diverse community even in the urban areas. There are quite a few empty nesters in the Clarendon condos and the adjacent single family neighborhoods are popular with families. The Washington Post wrote a story on retired couples living in Clarendon a few years ago. In Arlington you will have your choice of sports bars from the independents like Clarendon Grill to the chain establishments like the Green Turtle and Hard Times Cafe. Many of these restaurants are also open well into the night on weekdays. I think Hard Times closes at 3 or 4.

If you prefer living in a more suburban environment Tysons, Merrifield and the other neighborhoods that Saganista mentioned are great options. Merrifield and Tysons are urbanizing. And in a couple years the Metro Silver Line will open in Tysons.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:18 PM

3 posts, read 8,882 times
Agree with the above poster. If you want to live in the burbs, also check into Vienna. They have a metro and people that I know who have lived there say its a nice area.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the help, at this point I am looking at Tysons followed by Arlington. I figured I can get a better place for less money in Tysons and its closer to my job. Traffic pisses me off pretty bad so if I can live close to the job and still have a few things to do I feel that is the best bet. It seems like Arlington or DC is where the party is at and if I want to I head to those areas I can just grab a cab. That is my thought process so far, if I am wrong please let know because I know very little about this area and I will not have time to visit before making a decision on where to live.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:02 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,722 times
You will rarely regret the decision to live close to your job, especially if traffic really bothers you. Most people spend more time commuting to and at work than at "fun," so it makes sense for you to focus on Tyson's. You can always move elsewhere after a year.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:44 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpiochnb4 View Post
Thanks for the help, at this point I am looking at Tysons followed by Arlington. I figured I can get a better place for less money in Tysons and its closer to my job. Traffic pisses me off pretty bad so if I can live close to the job and still have a few things to do I feel that is the best bet. It seems like Arlington or DC is where the party is at and if I want to I head to those areas I can just grab a cab. That is my thought process so far, if I am wrong please let know because I know very little about this area and I will not have time to visit before making a decision on where to live.
I think you will likely enjoy living in Tysons, it has a lot to offer for later 20 somethings who want to be able to have fun, but dislike the college feel of the younger 20 crowd. There are a lot of great wine bars for dates, my favorite sports/happy hour places are Chef Geoffs, and OMalleys. La Sandia has a really good happy hour deal with endless guac and cheap beers. Best of all theres plenty of mass transit as is if you are ok grabbing a 3 stop bus ride (almost every street in central tysons has a bus access) and as said above the silver line will be in place this time next year.

If you do move into town, let me know if you are living at the Post and play tennis, I am looking for someone to play with.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:37 AM

It seems like Tysons is going be the winner unless I am hit with some new info.

As far as the tennis goes, I can play tennis but I don't play tennis. I will let you know where I end up and we can give it a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia