Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:26 AM

402 posts, read 746,040 times

Advertisements

You should be able to find some places in Reston that meet your needs although it is a little tight there. If you want more space but still the family atmosphere Asburn is a good option where the commute shouldn't be that bad.

P.S. You will have sticker shock up here after living in SC. You will get used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 08:36 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaSausages View Post
Oh, they all have AAP centers somewhere in the area, but there are some pretty rough and tuble zones of Reston (Glade Ave. area) which feeds into the local elementary and then into Langston Hughes and South Lakes.

Put it to you this way: if Hughes and South Lakes were so good, then why did parents create a FIRESTORM when FCPS announced that many school boundaries would be revised to move more students into South Lakes?
The only elementary school of concern in Reston is Dogwood, which is in the Glade Road area you reference. That is where the low-income housing is - so the school is a Title I school.

And the South Lakes fight was several years ago now. People were upset about getting rezoned out of Oakton. A lot of families have found that they like South Lakes. The biggest issue at this point seems to be the IB program vs. AP. Average scores for South Lakes are rising, and will continue to do so based on the demographics of the area.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:51 AM

231 posts, read 455,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
The only elementary school of concern in Reston is Dogwood, which is in the Glade Road area you reference. That is where the low-income housing is - so the school is a Title I school.

And the South Lakes fight was several years ago now. People were upset about getting rezoned out of Oakton. A lot of families have found that they like South Lakes. The biggest issue at this point seems to be the IB program vs. AP. Average scores for South Lakes are rising, and will continue to do so based on the demographics of the area.
You forgot about the entire Madison "island" deal as well...

Old 07-18-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaSausages View Post
You forgot about the entire Madison "island" deal as well...
fair enough. I wasn't involved in those discussions, as I believe they took place before I even had my child. I just remember what I read in the local papers, and most of the Herndon area neighborhoods that were rezoned had been zoned to Oakton.

But I stand by my original premise - South Lakes is getting better, and I think a lot of its bad reputation is based on old stereotypes/information.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:52 PM

560 posts, read 1,292,055 times
South Lakes High is ranked No. 39 in the DC area (No. 317 nationally) compared to Oakton ranked at No. 10 (DC area)-

South Lakes - The Washington Post

There isn’t very much affordable housing in Oakton, though. Also, the high school that I attended is ranked No. 900+, so 317 looks pretty good to me.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:33 PM

490 posts, read 649,967 times
Cost of living is high, and the further away you move the worse the commute is. Do yourself a favor and figure out how much you will be ahead after paying more for living (rent), taxes (noone ever talks about the f'ing car tax) and time you'll spend on the road (every 3-5 miles add 30+mins to the commute). If its not enough to fatten your bank account you might be better off staying put or going somewhere else.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:55 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,994 times
Welcome to Reston!

Check out the link below - this is in a great neighborhood and the elementary school is Sunrise Valley - considered by many to be one of the better elementary schools in Reston.
10931 HARPER'S SQUARE CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com

Old 07-23-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
South Lakes High is ranked No. 39 in the DC area (No. 317 nationally) compared to Oakton ranked at No. 10 (DC area)-

South Lakes - The Washington Post

There isn’t very much affordable housing in Oakton, though. Also, the high school that I attended is ranked No. 900+, so 317 looks pretty good to me.
Honestly, I do not feel much separates the HS's in Fairfax except for the combined socioeconomic status of their student bodies, which of course shows up in the test scores. It is all based on the makeup of the neighborhoods within their boundaries. South Lakes has a lot more THs and condos and apartments within its boundaries than Oakton, which has a large number of high income neighborhoods it draws from. Bottom line - South Lakes is more middle class and diverse than Oakton.

I have seen a lot of data on this and other boards that shows that there is little separating the caucasian students at Oakton from South Lakes. For those students, the true difference comes in the programs - some do not like that South Lakes only offers the IB program and not the AP classes at other schools.

One of my daughter's best friends from her Reston daycare had an older brother who just graduated from SLHS and was the quarterback on their football team. Wonderful family - dad works for Verizon and mom works for FCPS. 3 kids, live in one of the TH communities in South Reston. They had a wonderful experience at South Lakes and had nothing but good things to say about it.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,153 times
I'm a long-time Restonite - I think you can rent a decent house here in your price range. Try checking out real estate sites and their rental sections. The good rentals here are a little hard to find, but they exist. We've rented (in and out of area for job reasons sometimes), and we've found the apartment complexes are more expensive per square foot than houses. Again, look at real estate sites, maybe Craig's list. There may be some housing just south of here - between here and Fair Oaks - that's newer than what you'll find here. Herndon is an option as well. Much farther than that and you're looking at commuting hell...to get to a suburb.

I disagree on trying to do Ashburn to Reston during regular commuting hours - unless you find a back way that avoids Route 7, you'll be smelling tailpipes for a good 45 minutes and going nowhere fast. Route 7 commuting is truly awful.

Last edited by Restongirl; 07-24-2012 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Thought to add something about Ashburn commute...

Old 07-24-2012, 05:15 PM

18 posts, read 81,873 times
I used to live in Reston 1977 , after reading this forum , everything changed . What area's considered the best in Reston .
Money isn't the issue , just looking for the safest place to live . Are there Gated Communities ? Your input is appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia