U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 03:30 PM

6 posts, read 7,563 times

Advertisements

Hello:
I am a 50 something professional woman who will be relocating to NO VA (Oakton) in the fall. I am single and not necessarily looking....but I do enjoy a glass of wine and perhaps a smooth jazz band concert in the evenings. I'm physically active...I like to jog and I have two small spoiled dogs who keep me company. I also have a show horse which I will keep with a trainer (currently in Georgia) but eventually near Culpepper or Staunton. So reaonable access to the pony is helpful but I'm expecting a 2 hour commute to ride so there won't be too many surprises there.
I love nature, outdoors and eclectic surroundings like antique shops, small boutiques, and coffee shops or cafe's with outdoor sitting.
I'm looking to rent right now--and my goal is to find a community which is comfortable for me. I obviously want a reasonably safe neighborhood even though I provide my own security in the form of a 357 pistol. I understand that 'affordable' and Northern VA seem to be mutually exclusive--but I'd still like to keep my rent fees under $2K/month. I'd prefer maintenance free--and a carport/garage.
So--first of all, I'd be grateful for suggestions about a community. And secondly if you know of a specific development or even (shudder) and apartment complex, I'd appreciate your input.
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 06:51 PM

588 posts, read 1,301,380 times
Are you only interested in Oakton? Is that where you will be working?

Oakton is a fairly pricey area, thought it is close in proximity to much of what you described. It isn't within walking distance of most of your wishes, but it is close to Vienna, which does have much of what you described. I went to high school in Oakton and have MANY friends who still live there, and they love it.

If you are wanting a little "town-like" environment, it might be worth looking in one of the town centers-- Reston or Fairfax. There is the East Market area in Fairfax, as well as the Camden area and some townhouses in Fairfax Corner.

Finding a home in that price range, with those wishes, and with a garage or carport, might be difficult, but I'll go search.

Last edited by patriot201; 07-19-2012 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-19-2012, 07:09 PM

588 posts, read 1,301,380 times
Fair Lakes area (has a garage)- http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ental=1&row=12

Fairfax, but close to Oakton (has garage/surface parking)-- http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ental=1&row=17

East Market (Fairfax)-- http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ental=1&row=24

East Market (Fairfax)-- http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ental=1&row=27

Reston (Hunters Woods area)-- http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...rental=1&row=1

Reston (Town Center area)-- http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...rental=1&row=1

Herndon-- http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...rental=1&row=3

Old 07-20-2012, 05:45 AM

Thank you so much for your responses. What do you think of the Manassas area as an option?

Old 07-20-2012, 06:47 AM

8,918 posts, read 11,307,429 times
Even though I love my town, I rarely recommend it, because it is not a good fit for most people. But your entire "wish list" (besides being near Oakton) describes Middleburg. Is Oakton where your job will be? If so, the commute will not be pretty.

But, even if you don't move to Middleburg, be sure to come out and visit on a weekend. Coffee shops, outdoor cafes, antiques, and super dog friendly. Oh, and feel free to wear your riding clothes; everyone else in town does.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:52 AM

Yes I will be working from Oakton--with some trips into the DC area on a fairly infrequent basis.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:15 AM

303 posts, read 839,490 times
I am sorry to say that there aren't any eclectic surroundings near Oakton. I wish there were, but there aren't. The best match I can think of is Reston Town Center, which is essentially an outdoor mall making a decent attempt at looking like a small-town downtown area, with both residential and commercial areas. I don't know if the apartments meet your price criteria.

Maybe you'd like living in Old Town Alexandria, but you wouldn't like driving to Oakton. Old Town Manassas is also very charming, but ditto on the commute. Driving to DC from Manassas is intolerable, though people do it. Downtown Falls Church City might be a close approximation to your wish list, but I'm not sure the .357 would fit in. The commute would probably be tolerable but not fabulous. One other option might be downtown Herndon, which has a small amount of what you describe (more of the older stuff, though, and not the newer apartment developments right in the downtown.)

Are you sure about the Culpeper and Staunton for boarding your horse, or do you need recommendations for that, too? There is at least one place much closer to Oakton, and several that are somewhat closer.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:31 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,887,223 times
How is Vienna not eclectic?

I think Culpeper and Staunton are simply unrealistic unless you enjoy waking up at 4am and spending 500 bucks a month on commuting.

Manassas... I'll hold my opinion but it aint no Vienna/Oakton

Old 07-20-2012, 03:30 PM

Thanks so much tysonsengineer and Doppelganger69:
The reason that I'm looking at Staunton/Culpepper is that the trainers in that area specialize in AQHA (American Quarter Horse) events that I compete in. There is one other AQHA barn that I'm aware of in Catlet, VA. I do realize that these places are 2 hours away--and while it would be nice to have closer access--I would be competing in Lexington and in points south of NO VA anyway.
But if you have other suggestions for AQHA horse trainers who are closer I am definitely willing to listen.
Also--I sense a tiny bit of negativity about Manassas. Your opinions are really useful to me--and I do appreciate them...so please speak your mind.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:46 PM

231 posts, read 409,347 times
Lexington...VA Horse Center. That's a nice long drive from the DC area (ca. 2.5 to 3 hours).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia