Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 06:34 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times

Advertisements

According to this table from WaPo, we're looking at $55 billion in federal cuts next year, including $30 billion in defense spending. Since this entire metro area's economy is basically engined by the Federal Government, there is a huge multiplier effect (compared to other metro areas) from just a small cut (Bob works for the Pentagon, he gets paid by the Feds, he uses his income goes to buy groceries at Harris Teeter. This income pays the cashier at Harris Teeter. The cashier gets paid and he goes to Best Buy to purchase a DVD, which sale funds the employment of the Best Buy employee, etc. etc.).

What do you think the impact will be of these cuts will be on the area's economy if they go through? Even if a small portion, say 5 billion of that 55 billion only applies to the DC area, that's a lot of dough sucked out of the local economy even without a multiplier effect.

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 08:36 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,319,029 times
Big, which is why I keep insisting that we can no longer sustain NOVA on federal money. We have done well in diversifying to one off consultants (accounting, legal, etc) but non-federal associated employment makes up only 50% of the work force in Fairfax/Arlington/Loudoun and as you said the other 50% is dependent on that federal money continuing to pay their clients.

We have done well in spreading out to health care services (INova/Kaiser/Biotech research) and we are doing well in diversifying into financials/banking (Cardinal Bank and Capital One to name a few) but unfortunately if you are an Aerospace Engineer, Defense IT, or other technical field for the Feds there aren't many other private companies out there looking for their expertise (ie unemployment will likely increase in this area in 2013 due to this).

Its really unfortunate that so much hardship will be encountered from this, but I gotta say the Federal Government should not be an employment program, it should be a system to govern the central functions of our country. As a federal consultant I am worried, but worst case scenario I know my education and hard work will find me something.

I wish that for that hardship the GOP would concede a marginal change to the taxes for those making greater than 250k back to the Clinton levels and stop this insane GW Bush policy that got us here, but I guess thats me getting political (you know talking about compromise and all).

PS let me go on the record as saying if this trend continues Grover Norquist might go down as one of the biggest villains in our Countrys short history.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:00 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
I doubt you'll see much impact. These things generally get worked out since there are a lot of inside players with a huge stake in the status quo. Phone calls will be made.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:08 AM

448 posts, read 870,918 times
And this is exactly why I am dubious of these continued projections for growth in the area - particularly the exurbs. The gov't spending - especially defense spending - that has fueled the growth in this area can not continue, and I don't think that it will regardless of who wins in November.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:17 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I doubt you'll see much impact. These things generally get worked out since there are a lot of inside players with a huge stake in the status quo. Phone calls will be made.
Yup. Doesn't matter who gets elected.
Big wheel keeps on turning'. Proud Mary keeps on burning... Rollin', rollin', rollin' down the river....

Old 07-22-2012, 04:22 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Yup. Doesn't matter who gets elected.
Big wheel keeps on turning'. Proud Mary keeps on burning... Rollin', rollin', rollin' down the river....

I agree. Until there is a total shake-up in both sides of Congress where every member of Congress is not in the pocket book of defense, you will see no changes.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:50 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,092,438 times
It is probable that defense spending will decrease after November and combined tax increases will also help make a small dent but overall (OP calls it a fiscal cliff) government spending is what is driving off the cliff. Far more is spent on home bailout programs, medicare, medicaid, unemployment, food stamps, subsidized housing and pet programs by our elected officials. I'm sure when NoVA feels the effect of reduced defense spending, it will be for naught without significant reduction in other federal spending.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:22 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
It is probable that defense spending will decrease after November and combined tax increases will also help make a small dent but overall (OP calls it a fiscal cliff) government spending is what is driving off the cliff. Far more is spent on home bailout programs, medicare, medicaid, unemployment, food stamps, subsidized housing and pet programs by our elected officials. I'm sure when NoVA feels the effect of reduced defense spending, it will be for naught without significant reduction in other federal spending.
The economy will recover and there will be no cliff. It's not government spending that's the problem as that's remained pretty flat over the past few years but is instead reduced tax revenues from a slow economy that's deleveraging. We'll work through that and consumer spending and tax collections will return to normal levels. Enough with the Chicken Little histrionics that only serves short term political aims.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:00 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,319,029 times
Thats actually a good fact to point out Cava, federal spending growth is the slowest since before Eisenhower (something missed by many in the GOP) at 2%. If you listen to Romneys ads it would make you believe that spending jumped in double digits as those crazy liberals are "spending us to bankruptcy". Truth is, Bush was the only president in the past 25 years to grow spending in double digits... and was smart enough to do so at the same time as reducing tax revenue...

How did we get here again?

Old 07-22-2012, 12:33 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
The economy will recover and there will be no cliff. It's not government spending that's the problem as that's remained pretty flat over the past few years but is instead reduced tax revenues from a slow economy that's deleveraging. We'll work through that and consumer spending and tax collections will return to normal levels. Enough with the Chicken Little histrionics that only serves short term political aims.
You just had to do it and try to ninja to political economics. Point is, Cava, the LAW states 55 billion will be cut. IF it goes through, what is the impact on the area. Lets stay on topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia