Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:57 AM

19 posts, read 31,030 times

Advertisements

I just got a job in Northern Virginia and need some help with regards to living situations since I am very unfamiliar with the NOVA area. Basically, I want to know where the ideal areas are for someone in their mid-20s that wants the young and fun atmosphere. So far it seems as if Ballston and Clarendon are what most people are saying. However, are there other areas that are a bit cheaper that would still be a good fit for someone like me? All help is appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 11:45 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,320,602 times
You could check out South Arlington areas, such as Shirlington. Lots of young people choose South Arlington because it's cheaper than Ballston/Clarendon/Rosslyn areas but still pretty close.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:34 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,955,204 times
Where is your job going to be, and what are you comfortable spending (and for what sort of living situation? Roommates? Studio? 1 br?) Your job location will narrow down areas you want to look at significantly.

The short answer for "young and fun atmosphere" is the orange line corridor from Rosslyn to Ballston. Creep out a little further to Falls Church or Pentagon/Crystal City, and you still have easy access to plenty of fun things, and it's just a few metro stops from the heart of it all. If metro access isn't a priority, you can shave a couple hundred a month off rent by moving a mile away from metro stops and using buses or taxis to get to happy hours and/or downtown.

But again, where is your job?

Old 07-18-2012, 12:40 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,322,567 times
I wouldn't discount the fun to be had further south off the orange line though, I mean Shirlington is not shabby, Huntington is pretty solid. And further out I think Reston is a possibility.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:08 PM

My job is located in Crystal City. I have no preference regarding roommates or not since my budget is most important. I am only making $40k/yr so I don't have too much wiggle room. Also, being near the metro is not a priority since I have a car to take to work.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:24 PM

Well you might have a car but if you are far enough out you are gonna find it difficult to get to CC during rush hour via car. Do you flexible work hours?

Old 07-18-2012, 04:34 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,391,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Well you might have a car but if you are far enough out you are gonna find it difficult to get to CC during rush hour via car.
Not to mention that CC parking is expensive. It may be cheaper to Metro, especially if your employer is picking up part of the tab, which is common here.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:35 PM

I have a parking pass right under my building that my job provides for me. Also, I can get into the office whenever really so I could get in as early as 6am if that's what it took to beat traffic. Thanks for all the answers so far!

Old 07-18-2012, 07:17 PM

8,984 posts, read 21,190,803 times
Huntington as suggested before is a good idea, but not because it's a particularly exciting neighborhood on its own. There is a relatively affordable high-rise complex called Cityside that is a healthy walk away from the Huntington Metro station. You can take that train straight to Crystal City. You could actually drive straight up Route 1 north to CC if you wanted to as well. Also, Old Town Alexandria is nearby for a decent night out and the strolling/running/biking along the Mount Vernon trail near the waterfront is a great way to pass the day. For practical needs, most of your usual retail suspects will be found due south on Route 1.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:44 PM

He clearly wants to drive, which isnt a big deal from huntington either, just head up 110 across old town, take you about 10 minutes in the morning... it pains me to suggest driving but if you get free parking and you are going in a non-heavily traversed path then you are prolly ok.

40k should be good anywhere in Huntington/Shirlington but I would advise you to get a roommate because you can get a much nicer 2br for 1800 in those two areas (900 each) or you can get a kinda weak 1br for 1600 (just by yourself which would hurt). You could always get a studio in Rosslyn that go for about 1100 if you look at the older buildings. For 40k I am not sure if you wanna be pushing the budget, I'd suggest you play it safe and find a roommate.

Also look into the Del Ray region, some townhouses there that are often looking for a 3rd roommate that come out to the same approx. amount 900-1100 and its a really fun area in its own right and even closer to Crystal City for driving. (The younger parts can have a bit of a block party feel some nights)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia