Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:05 AM

429 posts, read 1,162,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
CAVA decides. The criterion I use for a legitimate regional varaiation is the food actually has to be local to one of the places referenced in the name. For example Tex Mex is actually eaten in Texas, Cal Mex in California, and Straits Chinese along the Strait of Malacca. Anything else like ILD's Korea Mex or Polynesian Chinese is just fusion food, which is a different culinary animal.
Thanks for clearing that up. You are as entitled to an opinion as anyone else is. You sounded so authoritative at first, though, that I almost thought you were making statements of fact.

For what it is worth, Polynesian-Chinese qualifies as a regional cuisine even by your definition. Both Trader Vic's and Don the Beachcomber's served their versions of Chinese-Polynesian in Hawaii, and Hawaii is Polynesian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 02:36 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
Thanks for clearing that up. You are as entitled to an opinion as anyone else is. You sounded so authoritative at first, though, that I almost thought you were making statements of fact.

For what it is worth, Polynesian-Chinese qualifies as a regional cuisine even by your definition. Both Trader Vic's and Don the Beachcomber's served their versions of Chinese-Polynesian in Hawaii, and Hawaii is Polynesian.
Well now that's a stretch. If you know anything about actual Hawaiian food (plate lunch anyone?) you'd say there was no resemblance between what they served and what the locals there normally eat. Also, Vic's and Don's menus were developed in CA and imported to HI, basically to serve the tourists from CA who thought they were eating actual Polynesian food.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:37 AM

429 posts, read 1,162,543 times
Quote:
Well now that's a stretch. If you know anything about actual Hawaiian food (plate lunch anyone?) you'd say there was no resemblance between what they served and what the locals there normally eat. Also, Vic's and Don's menus were developed in CA and imported to HI, basically to serve the tourists from CA who thought they were eating actual Polynesian food.
True, but I"m only applying the rules you yourself declared. I guess they don't count in Calvinball.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:15 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Quote:
I've been to Hawaii a couple of times and have eaten in some of the locals-only hangouts. They serve plate lunch. It's very popular among the locals.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
True, but I"m only applying the rules you yourself declared. I guess they don't count in Calvinball.
Vic's or Don's would be considered "Cal-Poly".

Old 08-03-2012, 05:33 PM

48 posts, read 52,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaSausages View Post
There used to be a place in Alexandria called the Honolulu Restaurant. It closed when Telegraph and the WW Bridge proeject were done.

It was a great little place - known pretty much only to the locals.
That's the first place that popped into my mind when I saw the thread title. Decent food. Excellent drinks. Cool decor. We miss it.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:11 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,150,902 times
Quote:
Something to ponder.
Sadly for you, popularity is not always a mark of truth or even quality.

I can't quite ascertain -- over the internet anyway -- whether you are just being jerky here or seriously believe in this "legitimate" regional food variation nonsense.

This discussion gave me some food for thought (pun intended) -- I am going to start a thread about missing cuisines in this region. Maybe it will be actually constructive.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Sadly for you, popularity is not always a mark of truth or even quality.
Rep envy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
I can't quite ascertain -- over the internet anyway -- whether you are just being jerky here or seriously believe in this "legitimate" regional food variation nonsense.
I guess my real "beef" is with fake ethnic food. It's not unique to the U.S. though. One could write a pretty amusing book about worst faux-ethnic restaurants around the world.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 08-04-2012 at 04:23 AM..

Old 08-04-2012, 06:44 AM

581 posts, read 2,307,769 times
I guess if someone acts like a jerk in multiple postings for the same thread you better not use free speech and say so
or Tone509 will delete your post and give you a warning.. I wonder if "Tone509" even bothered to read the entire thread
to understand the situation..

Tone509: Why don't you read the whole thread and see how many times this person asserted himself as "arrogant"
and "provoking".. And how several people were annoyed as well..

Be careful IndiaLimaDelta, "Tone509" will give you a warning and delete your post for using the word "Jerky".

Last edited by HarborEastGuy; 08-04-2012 at 07:02 AM..

Old 08-05-2012, 10:52 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,150,902 times
Quote:
Rep envy?
Yup, that's what's desperately missing in my life, "rep points" on some random website.
Quote:
I guess my real "beef" is with fake ethnic food. It's not unique to the U.S. though. One could write a pretty amusing book about worst faux-ethnic restaurants around the world.
I think your beef is that the world does not recognize what a gastronomic savant you are and keep forcing you to eat this "faux-ethnic" food, esp. those made by Asian immigrants who won't live in your neighborhood, increase property value and perform community service of your choice.

My heart bleeds for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia