U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2007, 12:40 PM

4 posts, read 34,383 times

Advertisements

I will try to be as specific with my questions as possible. I took a job in crystal city and will be moving from CO in a month. I have been monitoring the forum for months but have some specific questions.

I am looking at Alexandria and would like to be within walking distance to the Metro- how is the area around Eisenhower Ave. Could my wife feel safe walking around the area? Are there places to get basics needs (Grocery, Pharmacy, Wal-mart, etc.) Is there nightlife of any kind in the area? Are there these amenities near the Van Dorn Metro? Any info would be appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 03:27 PM

25,611 posts, read 37,377,449 times
Eishenhower Ave is very safe to walk around. You have everything (grocery, mall, wal-mart) within a 10 or 15 min drive. All the nightlife is nearby in Old Town Alexandria.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:50 PM

42 posts, read 268,590 times
Yeah, Eisenhower Avenue is a pretty good location--depending on what kind of housing you're looking for, you may also want to look at the Carlyle area (north of Eisenhower Ave, closer to the King Street Metro).

Van Dorn Street wouldn't be a good location--it would be tough to walk to the station from the south since you'd have to cross the intersection with the beltway, and to the north is mainly a commercial and industrial area. There are some apartment complexes along Edsall Road west of Van Dorn, but I think that's a sketchy area. On the plus side, there's a good Afghan restaurant in the strip mall on Van Dorn where the Comcast office is.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:43 PM

3 posts, read 10,455 times
Hey there, I live off Eisenhower Ave @ Avalon at Cameron Ct...pretty safe and pet friendly. You can walk to the Eisen. metro and ride the free shuttle to Van Dorn or King. Its a pretty safe area, very convenient, easy access to 495, Old Towne etc. I just relocated here myself so take it for what it's worth. HTH.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:51 AM

30 posts, read 178,544 times
Oh yeah, it's very safe walking on Eisenhower. I think there's a police substation on it actually, and from the latest crime statistics, there's a bubble devoid of crime along Eisenhower.

You might want to look at the two new apartment high rises along eisenhower- carlyle place apartments and meridian at eisenhower. They're running some great specials on craigslist.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 34,383 times
Thanks for all the info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia