Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 05:41 AM

211 posts, read 451,128 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I normally post on the Maryland Board but I have a friend in dire need of direction and I was hoping you could help her out.
The family in question is moving from MD and they have a child starting kindergarten in the Fall. They have found a couple of houses in Virginia Oaks and a couple of houses in Piedmont. All houses being equal, which community would you pick and why? Or do you have another suggestion?

They are also torn about the schools, one being Mountain View and the other Piney Grove (I think). It is difficult to get stats on Piney because it is so new. Does anyone have insight they would care to share?

The family does not appear to overly interested in new construction and so Dominion Valley is not of interest to them.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 06:26 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
They are both nice communities. I probably like Va Oaks better but Rt 29 can be a PITA at times. But so can Rt 15 and 55 in Haymarket. Va Oaks put you a little closer to shopping but it really is negligible. I can't comment on the schools but the schools in those areas tend to be better than average. It's really a matter of preference and what catches their eye better.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:25 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,610,522 times
I like Virginia Oaks. I live near there in another neighborhood. BTW, the elementary school for Virginia Oaks is Piney Branch.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:19 PM

373 posts, read 869,825 times
It probably depends on whether they would rather be in a gated community or not. Mountain View is probably the top or second best elementary in prince william.

Dominion Valley has resales also, its not all new homes.

When we were looking a couple years ago, we looked at several houses in gainesville and haymarket and picked the house we liked the best. I'd recommend doing that. I'm not sure there are any areas to avoid in gainesville or haymarket.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:45 PM

28 posts, read 50,121 times
If schools are super important to them...have them visit both schools. I've been in both, and they are VERY different atmospheres from the moment you walk in the door. There's just a different vibe, no other way to explain it. Mountain View is a much older building, obviously, but it's more than that IMO.

Piney Branch is new, but has some amazing teachers that came from other schools; I've heard nothing but good about the administration.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:37 PM

162 posts, read 358,937 times
Gainesville.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:03 PM

303 posts, read 591,970 times
I would choose Virginia Oaks also. Great neighborhood and I also have heard nothing but good things about Piney Branch. We have good friends that live there and they love it. We're not fair away in Bristow. My Dad, after retirement, worked at Virginia Oaks Golf Course for several years. Really nice place with good neighbors.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:32 AM

Thank you so much for the opinions. I have passed them on. It looks like they will be going with Virginia Oaks if it all works out.
Does anyone have suggestions for a good Mom's group? Or social group for them to join so they can start meeting people down there?

Old 08-12-2012, 07:49 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyPace View Post
Thank you so much for the opinions. I have passed them on. It looks like they will be going with Virginia Oaks if it all works out.
Does anyone have suggestions for a good Mom's group? Or social group for them to join so they can start meeting people down there?
Virginia Oaks I fear will have a lot of noise from Rt29. Also the houses are a little bit older than the newer communities. Equally nice, so it's like picking dark chocolate vs. milk chocolate.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:10 AM

Hi VRE332
Which other communities would you recommend? They are hoping to keep the price around $500K They are very interested in a community with a pool as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia