Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:35 AM

79 posts, read 123,426 times

Advertisements

So I am moving to Alexandria (old town) for work on 9/1. I can't quite put my finger on it. Is it left? Is it right? Old Town is certainly the preppiest place I've ever seen. It's like a walking Lands End catalog. Who knew that was still in style?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 10:43 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,576,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy skies View Post
So I am moving to Alexandria (old town) for work on 9/1. I can't quite put my finger on it. Is it left? Is it right? Old Town is certainly the preppiest place I've ever seen. It's like a walking Lands End catalog. Who knew that was still in style?!
City of Alexandria leans strongly Dem, and they tend to be somewhat more "progressive" and less "centrist" than Dems in say, Fairfax. OTOH most are still run of the mill dems - its not Berkely or even Manhattan. And Im pretty sure you can find Republicans, Libertarians etc. I am not sure how Old Town compares with the rest of the City in its voting patterns.

I haven't noticed Old Town looking that preppie, but I am typically there at times when there are lots of suburbanites and tourists around, at least lately.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:16 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,461,058 times
I think the whole point of that "preppy style" is that the people choosing it don't like wasting resources on fashion trends. They'd rather buy something of high quality and keep it rather than throw stuff out and go shopping every season. It's a choice to spend their time and $ on other stuff (or save it), rather than a belief that they are being stylish.

I agree with brooklynborndad about majority tend toward the "progressive" side (as documented in recent voting patterns) though there are people of all political views in Alex., and in Arlington, for that matter. And he's right that Old Town is full of visitors so it is hard to say whether you are observing visitors or residents.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:59 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
I think the whole point of that "preppy style" is that the people choosing it don't like wasting resources on fashion trends. They'd rather buy something of high quality and keep it rather than throw stuff out and go shopping every season. It's a choice to spend their time and $ on other stuff (or save it), rather than a belief that they are being stylish.

I agree with brooklynborndad about majority tend toward the "progressive" side (as documented in recent voting patterns) though there are people of all political views in Alex., and in Arlington, for that matter. And he's right that Old Town is full of visitors so it is hard to say whether you are observing visitors or residents.
I think the easier explanation for the preppiness of Old Town is simply the large number of associations, think tanks, and nonprofits that have offices there. Most of these places have a business casual dress code, hence the popularity of the Land's End catalog.

As for City politics, it is extremely liberal. The people that actually vote for local elections (they aren't on the same cycle for federal elections) are super liberal. The city council is all Democrats except for 1 independent, who is a black female that is moderate. The candidates for an open House Delegate seat are campaigning that they are more liberal than the each other. The local Republican Party holds their meetings in a local bar and are basically a joke.

In federal elections more people vote, so the area overall isn't quite Berkeley. A fair amount of a government workers, military personnel and veterans are more moderate.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:00 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,685,291 times
I would just like to add that it is very easy to live and/or work in Old Town all the while completely ignoring the political views of ill-dressed strangers and passers-by.

Blue, red or purple is not contagious.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:00 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,187,658 times
Alexandria is neck-and-neck with Arlington County as the "bluest" area in Northern Virginia. That said, there are still conservatives here and some have made inroads with City Council. Although Old Town residents may seem on the "preppy" side of upscale, many do have progressive concerns such as the waterfront redevelopment and the effect that gentrification has had on the more affordable housing in the city.

(Sorry if I repeated any previous points; I moved this post from another similar thread.)

Old 08-14-2012, 03:06 PM

464 posts, read 479,892 times
Lands End? Try AARP the Magazine.

Old Town is Blue. Welcome and good luck finding a parking space.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:34 PM

270 posts, read 909,581 times
Welcome to Old Town. Alexandria may be blue, but Old Town is the purplest part of the City. In 2008 some polling places in the City went Obama 80%. The City Hall polling place was 55% Obama. McCain did better in the heart of Old Town than anywhere else. I can confirm this anecdotally. We have some very politically active neighbors here, including lobbyists and politicians themselves. We have one neighbor who is a super politically active Democrat who is married to a GOP lobbyist. Maybe that's not unusual; Mary Matalin and James Carville used to live here, too.

As for preppy...well we have our share of UVA grads around here, but I suspect you might be seeing tourists and others here on the town.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 PM

79 posts, read 123,426 times
Thanks, all. I'm coming from Brooklyn where the preppy look is non-existent (and where it would be synonymous with right of center...or just plain tasteless.) I suppose it's all relative. Fashion aside, I'm encouraged by the reports of blueness, or purpleness, although the dogmatic diatribe I overheard in Misha's coffehouse the other day over the right to bear arms--M16s seemed to be the gentleman's favorite--had me thinking otherwise.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:06 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,315,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy skies View Post
Thanks, all. I'm coming from Brooklyn where the preppy look is non-existent (and where it would be synonymous with right of center...or just plain tasteless.) I suppose it's all relative. Fashion aside, I'm encouraged by the reports of blueness, or purpleness, although the dogmatic diatribe I overheard in Misha's coffehouse the other day over the right to bear arms--M16s seemed to be the gentleman's favorite--had me thinking otherwise.
Just wait until you see a person (or group of people) open carrying at a bar. Or a restaurant. Or even Babies R Us. Virginia can be shocking, even in the "bluest" of jurisdictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia