Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 PM

99 posts, read 190,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Under the proposal, the combined one-way rate for a ride on the length of the toll road, which connects Dulles International Airport to the Capital Beltway, would increase from $2.25 to $2.75 in 2013, $3.50 in 2014, and $4.50 in 2015.
Public comment on proposed Dulles Toll Road rates | InsideNova

Your comments can be submitted online. What are your thoughts on the proposed toll increases?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 08:56 PM

448 posts, read 870,586 times
The silver line is not free, so everyone must pitch in to pay for it. Are there any estimates for how much a ride from Dulles to Tysons would be on the metro? At current rates, I would think it would be about the same as the toll - excluding gas

Old 08-21-2012, 06:27 AM

939 posts, read 1,893,003 times
I feel for everyone that moved to points west when toll prices were low, but they had to consider this a possibility. This means that it'll cost 10-11$ one way to get from Ashburn to Tysons in 2015. That's about 60-70 cents a mile plus gas. I remember living in Herndon in 2006 and I think it was .50 to get on and .25 to get off at the spring hill exit.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:15 AM

92 posts, read 201,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
The silver line is not free, so everyone must pitch in to pay for it.
Um, the residents of Herndon, Reston, and Tyson's Corner are not "everyone" and they should not be excessively milked to pay for it.

As the project connects the nation's capital to its major airport, there is an excellent case that a lot more Federal funds should be used to pay for it.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:26 AM

810 posts, read 1,025,293 times
I wonder when the Silver line is done building (will it ever finish?), will the toll prices be reduced back?

It just seems like an excuse to jack up prices.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongyang View Post
I wonder when the Silver line is done building (will it ever finish?), will the toll prices be reduced back?

It just seems like an excuse to jack up prices.
Toll prices only go one direction.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehuster View Post
Um, the residents of Herndon, Reston, and Tyson's Corner are not "everyone" and they should not be excessively milked to pay for it.

As the project connects the nation's capital to its major airport, there is an excellent case that a lot more Federal funds should be used to pay for it.
They're the ones who will benefit from the Silver Line. Do you think the residents of Burke or Springfield should be milked for it instead? How would they benefit?

Old 08-21-2012, 08:41 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,628 times
Quote:

Yes, the general public pays for that with federal funds and the rest is left to the towns directly benefiting from the metro, which is the strong majority of funds. The strong majority of riders on the Silver Line will NOT be going to Dulles Airport.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 AM

448 posts, read 870,586 times
Quote:
As has been mentioned, the citizens in those areas will benefit greatly from the metro.

Quote:
Those going to the airport can go for free - unless they are planning to eliminate the dedicated lane going to and from Dulles.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:37 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,556,796 times
Here's what I want to know - if $3.50 from Dulles to 495 can build and maintain a friggin train, then what the heck am I paying $4.85 for to go less than 4 miles on the Greenway? Lawn service next to the highway? I want to know when VA is going to take that stretch of road into consideration for price adjustments. I don't like these elevated tolls on the public roads, but can live with them if it creates something tangible and usuable. I can assume that having the metro option will ultimately only make Ashburn more desirable to those wanting to move here, and will elevate the housing market prices. That, I am willing to pay for... But to be charged the full $5 bucks to go from exit 6 to the toll gate, the SAME fare those coming in from Leesburg pay, is just criminal. Someone around here has to have the ability to argue that it's wrong and they should stop it. Call it discrimination or price fixing or whatever, just fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia