Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 09:55 AM

43 posts, read 67,741 times

Advertisements

Has anyone lived in both? Can you compare the LA area to Prince William County?
How are the people of NoVa? Respectful? Friendly? Or are there lots of feelings of entitlement and knowing everything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 10:14 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,118,638 times
I'm a native fifth generation Southern Californian, grew up in coastal Orange County and have lived in Fairfax County for the past 20 years. People seem pretty similar - lots of transplants. You pretty much get the respect you deserve. I'm a white male so was born with a sense of entitlement and I do know a lot but am happy to share with whoever cares to listen. Most of my neighbors are similar.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 09-02-2012 at 10:26 AM..

Old 09-02-2012, 10:36 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,900,169 times
I'm from Santa Barbara. While it's not quite LA, I've spent tons of time down there for various reasons, and Santa Barbara is still very So Cal. I also live in Fairfax County, not PW, but again--close enough.

The biggest difference, imo, is the mentality of the people. There is no way, under any circumstance, that I would describe NoVA as "laid back". Everyone is busy, rushing around, and often stressed. Traffic is a nightmare, which contributes to the stress I think. It depends on your definition of "friendly", but this isn't southern hospitality, invite your neighbor over for dinner land. People are generally polite, but overscheduled and busy. I wave to my neighbors, but have never had a conversation with any of them.

The makeup of the areas are similar. It's suburban sprawl, much like LA. Tons and tons of transplants, both from other regions of the US and other countries. It's a diverse area with lots of difference cultures. You won't find good Mexican food, but you'll find plenty of Peruvian, Bolivian, and Salvadorian restaurants. Strip malls and chains make up the majority of the area.

The toughest part of all for me has been the climate. If you are an outdoorsy person, this is a tough place to be. While we have lots of hiking, bike trails, and lakes, the weather is not nearly so accommodating as it was in So Cal. This week it's finally started to cool down to where it's comfortable to go for longer walks without melting in the humidity! It's also been hard for me to be so separated from the ocean. I didn't go all summer because it's a good 3.5 hour trek from my house to the beach--major change from the 5 minute bike ride I was used to back in California!

That said, the jobs are here, so we are here for the foreseeable future.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:48 AM

722 posts, read 1,914,064 times
I grew up in southern Orange county, lived in Long Beach for college, then Oceanside for 8 years after college. I currently live in western PWC.

I think politically, the area I live is pretty similar to Orange county--conservative. We find people friendly and most things here are very family oriented.

What part of Los Angeles are you in?

Old 09-02-2012, 10:56 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,462,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I'm from Santa Barbara. While it's not quite LA, I've spent tons of time down there for various reasons, and Santa Barbara is still very So Cal. I also live in Fairfax County, not PW, but again--close enough.

The biggest difference, imo, is the mentality of the people. There is no way, under any circumstance, that I would describe NoVA as "laid back". Everyone is busy, rushing around, and often stressed. Traffic is a nightmare, which contributes to the stress I think. It depends on your definition of "friendly", but this isn't southern hospitality, invite your neighbor over for dinner land. People are generally polite, but overscheduled and busy. I wave to my neighbors, but have never had a conversation with any of them.

The makeup of the areas are similar. It's suburban sprawl, much like LA. Tons and tons of transplants, both from other regions of the US and other countries. It's a diverse area with lots of difference cultures. You won't find good Mexican food, but you'll find plenty of Peruvian, Bolivian, and Salvadorian restaurants. Strip malls and chains make up the majority of the area.

The toughest part of all for me has been the climate. If you are an outdoorsy person, this is a tough place to be. While we have lots of hiking, bike trails, and lakes, the weather is not nearly so accommodating as it was in So Cal. This week it's finally started to cool down to where it's comfortable to go for longer walks without melting in the humidity! It's also been hard for me to be so separated from the ocean. I didn't go all summer because it's a good 3.5 hour trek from my house to the beach--major change from the 5 minute bike ride I was used to back in California!

That said, the jobs are here, so we are here for the foreseeable future.

At some point you just have to come to the realization that you have to quit being miserable just for a little extra cash

Old 09-02-2012, 10:59 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,429,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post

I wave to my neighbors, but have never had a conversation with any of them.
Unfortunately, I have never lived in So Cal and don't live in Fairfax or PW, so I can't address OP's question. However, I did want to chime to say that this small part of CaliTerp07's characterization fits some neighborhoods but definitely does not fit mine (in Arl. Co.). While people are busy (esp. with kids) many of us know each other, have been in each other's homes for parties and dinners, help when there are emergencies and health issues, etc. Some families have gone camping together. We aren't all BFFs (or at least no one has invited me to be) but it definitely is more than waving. One major reason may be that our houses are very close together, so we need to get along, and another is that most people have been in the neighborhood for 10 years--it's not very transient. So my advice would be if you are seeking a friendly neighborhood, or if you would rather that people keep a respectful distance, ask people when you are looking for a house or apt. It really varies.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:00 AM

43 posts, read 67,741 times
I have worked in the OC (north and south, with south being the worst) and eastern LA county. There is a definite sense of superiority there. I have come across several people being downright mean and disrespectful to professionals, to the point of yelling at professionals in office buildings over just estimates for services. Not to mention the demanding mentality.
I am trying to research if the rumors of Northern Virginians being unfriendly is of the same type of behavior or just "busy".

Old 09-02-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
At some point you just have to come to the realization that you have to quit being miserable just for a little extra cash
I re-read my post, and it is really negative. I'm not miserable...just liked the atmosphere and mentality and opportunities in California a lot more. It's not just "a little extra cash" though. It's employment vs. no job. Pretty easy decision there

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Unfortunately, I have never lived in So Cal and don't live in Fairfax or PW, so I can't address OP's question. However, I did want to chime to say that this small part of CaliTerp07's characterization fits some neighborhoods but definitely does not fit mine (in Arl. Co.). While people are busy (esp. with kids) many of us know each other, have been in each other's homes for parties and dinners, help when there are emergencies and health issues, etc. Some families have gone camping together. We aren't all BFFs (or at least no one has invited me to be) but it definitely is more than waving. One major reason may be that our houses are very close together, so we need to get along, and another is that most people have been in the neighborhood for 10 years--it's not very transient. So my advice would be if you are seeking a friendly neighborhood, or if you would rather that people keep a respectful distance, ask people when you are looking for a house or apt. It really varies.
Valid point! My friends in townhome communities are much more in touch with their neighbors than I am. I think the close proximity and the smaller square footage means they are outside far more often than people with large yards and basements to hang out in.

I also made the mistake of buying in Burke with no children If I had kids, I think I'd have much more to talk about with my neighbors! Arlington would have been a much better fit, but we couldn't afford it.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:06 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,566,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabound2012 View Post
I have worked in the OC (north and south, with south being the worst) and eastern LA county. There is a definite sense of superiority there. I have come across several people being downright mean and disrespectful to professionals, to the point of yelling at professionals in office buildings over just estimates for services. Not to mention the demanding mentality.
I am trying to research if the rumors of Northern Virginians being unfriendly is of the same type of behavior or just "busy".

Nope, it's just a "busy" unfriendly.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabound2012 View Post
I've never been yelled at/cursed/insulted anywhere but on the freeway As long as horns and aggressive driving don't bother you, I don't think you'll find the area mean or disrespectful at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia