Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 12:35 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times

Advertisements

Enlighten me.

How is the higher education, culture, economy, cost of living, people, and lifestyle?

I have some family in Northern VA and have been thinking about moving. Tell me all you can. I'm not sure exactly what neighborhood my cousins lived in but it was 45 minutes from DC and really close to a Dennys. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 01:52 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
may I suggest you do a SEARCH of this forum. just plug in Sterling, you will find a TON of info.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:25 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
may I suggest you do a SEARCH of this forum. just plug in Sterling, you will find a TON of info.
are you sure? the only thing I found was about the ghetto neighborhood of Stirling. I think it was called Sterling Park or Stirling Pond? I don't know, is all of Stirling ghetto?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:10 PM

280 posts, read 1,072,786 times
There are nicer parts of Sterling, typically referred to as Potomac Falls, the 20165 area code. Some subdivisions include Cascades, Countryside and Rivercrest. If you run a search on those you will find answers to most of your questions. Good luck!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:49 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,737,752 times
I like Sterling. A lot. You can call it rebelling against the other "towns" close to it (i.e. Ashburn), ones with new development and cookie cutter houses. Yes, there are those areas in Sterling as well but the older parts (Sugarland Run is my favorite) have character. And if you look at one of the threads on Sterling Park, there are people who actually love living there. Big lots, older mature trees, diversity etc. I wouldn't exactly call it ghetto. It's not Hunter's Point in SF or anything. But if you're into newer construction, stay north of route 7. The location is amazing. Good luck!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:04 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,866,363 times
Sterling isn't anywhere close to a ghetto, but it is higher crime area in comparison to its neighbors. The townhome communities off cascades can be rough by NOVA standards - lots of breaking into cars, vandalism and what not.

There really aren't a lot of places in NOVA that are true "absolutely do not live here" kinds of places like you have around most cities.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:52 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
here I did the search for you...
some threads may be called Sterling Park but have others areas etc...in them read through them to get the best advise.

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...omparison.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...g-herndon.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...g-herndon.html

There are many more but these seem the most recent and have the most advise etc...

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...-virginia.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...nt-around.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...ling-area.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...-sterling.html

Old 07-18-2008, 08:42 PM

142 posts, read 567,296 times
My mother's been helping a friend who has a family move from one house to another in the Sugarland Run section of Sterling (both homes are in that area) and from what I hear, her friend likes it quite much. I would have to say Sterling Park is just a little frizzy on the edges by Nova standards, but it's definitely not a 'barrio' or ghetto of any kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia