Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 07:57 AM

27 posts, read 86,409 times

Advertisements

Most of you have likely been reading about the upcoming Fiscal Cliff, with it's resulting deep cuts in government spending and tax increases. For years everyone said we needed to make deep cuts in government spending and raise some taxes to make up for our massive budget deficits, but actually doing so will destroy the Washington DC area economy.

Even if at the last minute Congress does something and puts off the cliff for another few months, the trend is apparent- the Federal Government can't afford to spend as much money has it has in the past.

If you want to sell a home in Northern VA the real estate market has been good the last six months but my real estate agent says 2013 is not going to be as good. About half of the people in Northern VA either work for a government contractor or the Federal Government and the rest the people would be impacted if the government related jobs went away. A ripple effect.

Have you thought about selling your house and getting out while the getting good (before the major cuts start), or are afraid to buy a house here because the real estate prices are going to start dropping once government spending starts to finally drop?

This is still really a one industry town. I suspect that start next year the home prices in DC are going to drop once they finally determine that Federal Spending has to drop and fall significantly. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 07:58 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
We're retiring and considering a move next fall. So far have no fear putting our house on the market. We'll see what happens.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:04 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,267 times
Not worried. No sense in worrying. We didn't buy a house as a short term investment, we bought it to have a place to live.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:07 AM

27 posts, read 86,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Not worried. No sense in worrying. We didn't buy a house as a short term investment, we bought it to have a place to live.
I know quite a few people who said that when they bought their homes in 2006 just at the peak of the market and now are upside down.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,678,258 times
"Fiscal cliff" is nothing but political BS.

Nothing of signifcance will be done about our fiscal problems until the TOTAL collapse of the economy occurs.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:19 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Home Seller View Post
Most of you have likely been reading about the upcoming Fiscal Cliff, with it's resulting deep cuts in government spending and tax increases. For years everyone said we needed to make deep cuts in government spending and raise some taxes to make up for our massive budget deficits, but actually doing so will destroy the Washington DC area economy.

Even if at the last minute Congress does something and puts off the cliff for another few months, the trend is apparent- the Federal Government can't afford to spend as much money has it has in the past.

If you want to sell a home in Northern VA the real estate market has been good the last six months but my real estate agent says 2013 is not going to be as good. About half of the people in Northern VA either work for a government contractor or the Federal Government and the rest the people would be impacted if the government related jobs went away. A ripple effect.

Have you thought about selling your house and getting out while the getting good (before the major cuts start), or are afraid to buy a house here because the real estate prices are going to start dropping once government spending starts to finally drop?

This is still really a one industry town. I suspect that start next year the home prices in DC are going to drop once they finally determine that Federal Spending has to drop and fall significantly. What do you think?
Gosh, if Northern VA is heading towards a "fiscal cliff" I can't imagine what'll happen to the rest of the country. This post is loaded with hyperbole. Even if Romney were to win, Dems in Congress wouldn't let him gut the gov't in every way except the military. But yes, I believe we can expect some contraction, but not enough to shatter home values. And WDC is much more than a one industry town as you say. Besides, you are so sure the govt has to be cut, but assume Fed revenues cannot/will not be raised (??)

Old 10-02-2012, 10:19 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post

Nothing of signifcance will be done about our fiscal problems until the TOTAL collapse of the economy occurs.
agreed. Why would you mess with people in a battleground State. It's political pandering.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:33 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,726,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post

Precisely. People that are "in the know" are very much aware of this and realize the "fiscal cliff" proselytizers are just trying to stir up a frenzy, either for their own financial gain or just because it is "fun" to be akin to Chicken Little.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:34 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,450,197 times
Romney already said he would primarily use attrition to gradually shrink some agencies.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:05 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,196,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Home Seller View Post
Quote:
I know quite a few people who said that when they bought their homes in 2006 just at the peak of the market and now are upside down.
2006 was only 6 years ago - a blink of an eye.

Come back in another 25 years.

THAT'S what "buying for a place to live" means.

==========

In my neighborhood I imagine there are quite a few who are "underwater" as above.

But then there are folks like me who have been here 20+ years living in our "place to live" and are hundreds of thousands of dollars "above water'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia