Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 11:23 AM

39 posts, read 177,391 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I need some help. My husband has gotten a job offer in Alexandria, Virginia. Pay would be $51,000 before taxes and health benefits are taken out, so after everything, we're looking at take home pay of $2,668 per month.

I'm currently a student so won't be working until I graduate in May 2011.

My question is, what are some good places to live in Alexandria (we'd be renting)? Or, are there other places close enough to Alexandria to live, like what about Fairfax or other places close by?

I would like a place that has washer and dryer machines in the apartment. Also, the appartment complex must accept a cat.

I have an apartment guide for the NOVA area, but I don't even know where to begin. I'm really worried about being able to find affordable housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 11:52 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,953,888 times
The cheapest of cheap apartments you will find in Alexandria that are livable will run you around $1000/month. Going south will get you more affordability (Woodbridge-ish area), but the increased commute counters it.

I would be nervous about trying to support 2 people on $51k in Alexandria. I made slightly more than that at my first job, but I lived with multiple roommates to keep the rent/utilities down. I'd make a budget and figure out what you're comfortable paying for rent after you take out everything else (there are several threads on here listing what people spend on utilities/groceries if you want to search for them). Then you'll be able to figure out if it's realistic. Depending on your other expenses and your ability to budget, you may be able to get away with it.

If you have a job lined up for when you graduate in May, then I'd be more willing to stretch the budget to be up here. If there's the potential for a couple months of unemployment after graduation, that makes things more difficult.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:02 PM

461 posts, read 910,362 times
Veering slightly from the OP, it's worth mentioning that EVERYONE is moving her for a job and the even locals with inside connections are having trouble finding jobs. Couple that with one of the highest cost of living areas (esp housing) in the country and it may not be the best choice. I agree that getting roommates is definitely an option to consider wherever you choose to live in the area.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:10 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,953,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Veering slightly from the OT, it's worth mentioning that EVERYONE is moving her for a job and the even locals with inside connections are having trouble finding jobs.
That greatly depends on the industry. A coworker who flies here each week got fed up with this company, posted his resume on Monster and had 5 interviews lined up within a week. Ended up turning down a couple job offers to take the third one, which offered full relocation assistance from his place in NYC. From "I'm going to try to leave" to his first day at the new company, it took a month.

Another friend (totally different line of work) searched for a month before finding an unpaid internship, but it took another 5 months before any paid work came around--and even then it was less money than she was hoping for.

In general though, it would certainly be wise to research the market in your industry to find out the likelihood of securing a position quickly after graduating.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:10 PM

6,568 posts, read 8,415,072 times
Alexandria on $51k? That could be tough.

Make sure you budget carefully and stick to that budget.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:12 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,237,595 times
I would look in Springfield, Kingstowne, West Alexandria, and Annandale. Fairfax (if you mean the city) is too far and won't offer a price advantage over the places I just listed.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:26 PM

39 posts, read 177,391 times
We're now wondering whether it is even worth it to take this job. Looking at rents there is very intimidating. I'll check out Annandale and the rest suggested to me.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:52 PM

214 posts, read 500,066 times
I would really figure out the absolute max you could comfortably spend on rent and utilities and then see if anything is available in that price range. It really depends if you have big monthly expenses like car payments or student loans. As others have said Alexandria will probably be too expensive, even the west end/ landmark area.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:14 PM

461 posts, read 910,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklecat View Post
We're now wondering whether it is even worth it to take this job. Looking at rents there is very intimidating. I'll check out Annandale and the rest suggested to me.
Annandale is a skanky illegal immigrant area. I wouldn't wish it on you.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:38 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,786,605 times
To be honest, I think its hard to substain ONE person in Alexandria on $51k a year. Somewhat easier down near Woodbridge but commuting to Alexandria would drive you insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia