Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 06:12 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,731,804 times

Advertisements

Since there are some bikers here...

My daughters bike lost the bearings out of the pedals. Of course she didn't tell us, but the chain kept coming off and another kid would fix it. She finally mentioned the wobbly pedals and the fact that some metal balls rolled out!

Any rec's for a cheap bike repair place? This is just kids bike, but is less than a year old and slightly too big for her, so has about another 2-3 years before she outgrows it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 07:15 AM

437 posts, read 1,230,045 times
You can maybe get the bearings re-packed or simply get a new crankset "bottom bracket". It's not hard to do but you need special tools. Try Performance Bike, Spokes Etc., Hudson Trail, REI or a local bike shop. I'd call around and see what a few of those near you will charge to do it, obviously you don't want to spend a lot on it. If you are mechanically inclined you can get some tools and instructions from one of those places.

The bike techs in Performance in Springfield and Spokes in Alexandria have always been very helpful with my needs and will usually try to help you out with the cheapest option if they know you have a budget on your repair. Sometimes they will even have used parts around they can let you have/use etc.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:39 AM

Thanks, Performance is where I was headed, since it is the only one I know about, but nice to hear they wouldn't try to stiff me on a bike that isn't worth a major repair.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:11 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,683,601 times
A repair shop for pedals?

That's a really simple job...go to Walmart and grab a universal set for $10-12 and put them on. All you need is an open end wrench (probably 9/16 or 5/8).

The only glitch is that one of the pedals has a left hand thread...I believe it's the left side crank. You have to turn that one clockwise to unloosen it and counter clockwise to thread it in....this is the opposite of how you normally do it.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:23 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,732,688 times
This place is great. Basically one guy. Reasonable prices and no attitude.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:45 PM

437 posts, read 1,230,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
A repair shop for pedals?

That's a really simple job...go to Walmart and grab a universal set for $10-12 and put them on. All you need is an open end wrench (probably 9/16 or 5/8).

The only glitch is that one of the pedals has a left hand thread...I believe it's the left side crank. You have to turn that one clockwise to unloosen it and counter clockwise to thread it in....this is the opposite of how you normally do it.
A kid's bike may have a real simple set up like this now that I think about it. Look at the place where the pedal arms (cranks) go into the bike (bottom bracket). If there is just a basic hexagonal wrench-type setup this will work. If there are a lot of little slots/teeth all the way around the bottom bracket that you need a special wrench for you'll need to hit the bike store.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:16 PM

Thanks, DH said it would need a tool he didn't have. What about the bearings, do those come with the new pedals?

Old 10-12-2012, 07:50 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,701,690 times
Check out this place:

The Bike Lane-Springfield & Reston, VA - Road Bikes, Triathlon, Mountain Bikes, fitness & youth bikes

Old 10-13-2012, 07:00 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,683,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Thanks, DH said it would need a tool he didn't have...
Mmmm, I've always used that as an excuse to buy a tool! LOL

I even used that premise to buy a diesel tractor with backhoe for a sewer line replacement job I wanted to tackle. I thought my wife was going to kill me for buying it! She softened her stance somewhat during Snowmageddon when I used the thing to dig out our little enclave.

As far as pedal bearings, I've never seen them sold separately...pedals are normally sold as an assembly. If ball (or roller) bearings "escape" from a device, it is usually the result of extreme wear or damage.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Mmmm, I've always used that as an excuse to buy a tool! LOL

I even used that premise to buy a diesel tractor with backhoe for a sewer line replacement job I wanted to tackle. I thought my wife was going to kill me for buying it! She softened her stance somewhat during Snowmageddon when I used the thing to dig out our little enclave.

As far as pedal bearings, I've never seen them sold separately...pedals are normally sold as an assembly. If ball (or roller) bearings "escape" from a device, it is usually the result of extreme wear or damage.
Are you my dad??? He had so many speciality tools it wasn't funny! My DH, is well...not my Dad. I could probably fix the bike before he could. He was apartment raised, I was raised by Tim the Toolman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia