Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2012, 10:47 AM

13 posts, read 26,786 times

Advertisements

Retired single female, active 65 year old, moving to DC area to be near family.

Family is in Glover Park area of DC (north of Georgetown). Want to be within 10 miles of them. Closer is better. They cross the river at the Chain Bridge, so the more northern area is probably better.

What REALLY is the difference between NOVA and MD? Taxes? Real estate closing costs? In Md, I'm looking in Bethesda, Potomac, N. Bethesda.

Townhome. Price range $500-650.

Would love to be within walking distance of shops, etc. with a feel of town/community.

The usual suspects of affordability, safety, etc. etc.

Hopefully since you are all at home today due to Hurricane Sandy, I'll get some good advice At least while the power is still on....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 10:50 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,876 times
Start off by using ... , and enter your min-max requirements, and press enter.

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-29-2012 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: Only generic MLS sites can be referenced on the forum.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:38 PM

560 posts, read 1,291,610 times
Not a townhouse and slightly over budget, but what can beat direct elevator access-

A listing of a 2BR condo on Clarendon Boulevard in Arlington.

I think the real estate transfer taxes are one of the reasons that closing costs in MD are usually a bit higher than VA-

Real Estate Transfer Taxes

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-29-2012 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: Only generic MLS sites can be referenced on the forum.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
You might want to look into the taxing of your retirement pension and social security, etc. Yes, they have higher closing costs and car insurance costs (although no car tax), but I think if you find one of those state-by-state charts of which states are good to retire to, that might be a bigger chunk. I'm guessing that VA would probably be cheaper for retirees, but you should look into it.

Taxes aside, Bethesda is a perfect place as far as your requirement go. Although, I'm not sure of the cost of townhomes. There is so much to walk to and do in Bethesda and there is a nice mix of singles, couples, and families. North Bethesda is nice, too, but you will be doing most of your "going out" in downtown Bethesda. Potomac wouldn't be on my list - there's not really a downtown, and it's more families and big homes.

You could also look into Chevy Chase or Friendship Heights and Cleveland Park if you are willing to do the city.

For Virginia, you can look into Arlington, Falls Church City, McLean, and Vienna. They all have a bit of a downtown area. Arlington is the most urban of that list, with probably the most to do. Falls Church would be the next most urban. Vienna is suburban with a nice, but not large, downtown. McLean's downtown is probably smaller - it's also suburban.

With everything else being equal, I'd probably pick downtown Bethesda as the best downtown with the most to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia