U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:04 AM

4 posts, read 34,603 times

Advertisements

I have been told by numerous sources that the Carlyle/Eisenhower Ave. Area of Alexandria is a safe, decent neighborhood. I have also been told that Huntington is not somewhere you want to be alone outside at night (and during the day in some parts...). How accurate are these descriptions? The neighborhoods practically border one another, can they be that different? If they aren't that different, how safe are they?

For 1900/mo in Carlyle I want to be sure I shouldn't just find a place in ballston.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 11:37 AM

25,996 posts, read 38,377,644 times
VERY accurate. Carlyle is a very high-class area, huntington is a very low-income area. Just drvie through both and you'll see the difference.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:25 PM

43 posts, read 231,164 times
Carlyle is better than Huntington. They are physically seperated by the Capital Beltway and, even with route 1 and Telegraph Road, I really don't know of any way for pedestrian traffic to go between the two. They both have stops on the Yellow Line (Metro). I suppose that much depends on where you work and/or what you want to do? You mention Ballston in comparison. Personally, for no other pending reasons, I would prefer Ballston. However, the USPTO has a relatively new facility in Carlyle and I think that with time, it will attract the 'hi rent' district along with it. Much of it is already there in the form of condos.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:37 PM

30 posts, read 179,615 times
Carlyle is great. I'm currently in post Carlyle Square, and got a super deal on my rent from craigslist.

Carlyle Place Apartments (across from the eisenhower station) is also now leasing, and they have some very attractive deals on Craigslist as well.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:41 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,349,929 times
NOVAnovice, you are correct.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:31 PM

4 posts, read 34,603 times
Thanks to all

Old 10-11-2007, 05:56 AM

4 posts, read 22,688 times
Hi --

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but this is along the same lines as the question posed by the op...

I rode through Carlyle the other week and didn't really see any place to walk my dog (esp at night when I don't want to be too far from the building). Did I miss something?

Also, wasn't sure if all the construction posed any problems (crime or noise).

Thanks
AJ

Old 10-11-2007, 09:35 AM

3,270 posts, read 8,815,935 times
Carlyle has a dog park behind the westernmost Carlyle Towers building, next to the tennis courts. I see lots of people using it around dinner time; not so sure about later at night.

I also see lots of people walking their dogs in front of the Federal Courthouse.

Construction is noisy, but it's during the day so it won't keep you up. I've never heard about anyone experiencing crime in the area.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:23 AM

Location: Belle Haven Estates just south of Alexandria VA in Fairfax County
8 posts, read 41,899 times
I never cease to be amazed by people on the Internet who are willing/happy to provide authoritative answers about subjects that they really don't know.

Most of the Carlyle District is definitely nicer than most Huntington (Huntington Club, Hunting Creek Club, Jefferson Manor). Most of the Carlyle District is much newer than most of the Huntington Area. But some parts of Huntington (Montebello, Midtowns) are as nice as anything in the Carlye District.

As for safety, older doesn't mean unsafe and the replies above are simply preposterous. Huntington has no more or less crime than the Carlyle District.

Huntington is in Fairfax County which is generally safer than Alexandria City. Huntington is home to the Washington Metro Transit Police Headquarters. The Carlyle District used to be an upscale ghost town, because it was new and underpopulated. It's become busier recently and it is a pleasant upscale place to live. Huntington ranges from grungy to sparkling and is a much older neighborhood with economic diversity. Both neighborhoods are relatively safe at all hours. Neither neighborhood is prone to gang activity. Both neighborhoods are in the city. (Lock your car.)

Last edited by Everwill; 11-03-2008 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-02-2008, 05:05 AM

Location: Belle Haven Estates just south of Alexandria VA in Fairfax County
8 posts, read 41,899 times
The question is similar to asking if Macy's is safer than Walmart. The answer is Macy's is no safer than Walmart, but it is nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>