Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 06:34 AM

247 posts, read 1,141,056 times

Advertisements

Everywhere I've lived, there have been odd habits that local people do that aren't practiced across the country. In then midwest, we turned left on red, pulling way out into the intersection, and sitting there until the light was yellow or red to turn left. When I lived in the deep south, people often let those turning left (usually out of of a driveway or small street) go infront of them, even if it meant stopping the entire flow of traffic behind them.

Is this something people do here: Do people who are turning right on green yeild as a courtsey to those turning left onto the same road? I was almost hit twice last week in the same place, and was wondering maybe people were assuming that I'd let them go infront of them b/c that's what people do here?

Each time I was traveling north on rolling road, turning right on a green light onto a small (one lane) side street. My light turned green, and I turned. Seems simple enough. But twice a car turning left onto the same street went, acted like I was supposed to yeild to them. At first I thought they just weren't paying attention or something. But after then second time it happened I started to wonder if that's something people do here? Seems strange to yield to those turning left, but maybe it's just one of those unspoken things people do in NOVA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 06:49 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibaba1579 View Post
Each time I was traveling north on rolling road, turning right on a green light onto a small (one lane) side street. My light turned green, and I turned. Seems simple enough. But twice a car turning left onto the same street went, acted like I was supposed to yeild to them. At first I thought they just weren't paying attention or something. But after then second time it happened I started to wonder if that's something people do here? Seems strange to yield to those turning left, but maybe it's just one of those unspoken things people do in NOVA?
Not that I'm aware of. Perhaps it's something practiced elsewhere and they're transplants. Good time to lay on the horn.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:13 AM

687 posts, read 1,376,886 times
I'm sure they wanted you to yield to them since they were crossing Rolling to make their left turn and they were trying to drive through a small break in the traffic. If they waited for you to go then they might have lost their window of opportunity to cross and would then have to wait until traffic eased up again. Since you were turning right the Rolling traffic wouldn't affect you.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
I'm sure they wanted you to yield to them since they were crossing Rolling to make their left turn and they were trying to drive through a small break in the traffic. If they waited for you to go then they might have lost their window of opportunity to cross and would then have to wait until traffic eased up again. Since you were turning right the Rolling traffic wouldn't affect you.
They should wait out in the intersection for the light to turn yellow and then proceed if clear, one car per light cycle. You might want to call the FCPD and ask them if they'd like to put an officer there in the morning to ticket any offenders.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:06 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times
Quote:
It sounds like you've just encountering some drivers who feel entitled and are not driving properly. You are making a right turn at a green light - you have the right of way. They should yield to you (and those who are going straight).

Old 11-05-2012, 08:09 AM

939 posts, read 1,892,513 times
Quote:
Everywhere I've lived, there have been odd habits that local people do that aren't practiced across the country. In then midwest, we turned left on red, pulling way out into the intersection, and sitting there until the light was yellow or red to turn left. When I lived in the deep south, people often let those turning left (usually out of of a driveway or small street) go infront of them, even if it meant stopping the entire flow of traffic behind them.

Is this something people do here: Do people who are turning right on green yeild as a courtsey to those turning left onto the same road? I was almost hit twice last week in the same place, and was wondering maybe people were assuming that I'd let them go infront of them b/c that's what people do here?

if you're both turning onto a two lane road, the left turning driver is allocated the lane closest to the center and you're allocated the lane closest to the outside. Pretty sure this is legal, but it makes certain drivers uncomfortable.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:41 AM

564 posts, read 1,493,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
if you're both turning onto a two lane road, the left turning driver is allocated the lane closest to the center and you're allocated the lane closest to the outside. Pretty sure this is legal, but it makes certain drivers uncomfortable.
Never heard of that before. Sounds very unsafe. I would assume that is illegal. Two cars coming into two adjacent lanes from opposite sides/angles would have a very high chance of colliding.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfs View Post
Never heard of that before. Sounds very unsafe. I would assume that is illegal. Two cars coming into two adjacent lanes from opposite sides/angles would have a very high chance of colliding.
I assumed this was a two lane road but if it's four lane I believe Gustavo is correct.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:27 AM

564 posts, read 1,493,559 times
The Virginia code states the following:

Quote:
§ 46.2-825. Left turn traffic to yield right-of-way.

The driver of a vehicle, intending to turn left within an intersection or into an alley, private road, or driveway shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction if it is so close as to constitute a hazard. At intersections controlled by traffic lights with separate left-turn signals, any vehicle making a left turn when so indicated by the signal shall have the right-of-way over all other vehicles approaching the intersection.

(Code 1950, § 46-239; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-222; 1974, c. 347; 1989, c. 727.)
Looks somewhat open to interpretation whether "if it is so close as to constitute a hazard." I would personally say yes in most situations.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:32 AM

939 posts, read 1,892,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I assumed this was a two lane road but if it's four lane I believe Gustavo is correct.
As CAV clarified, I meant turning onto a two lane road with both lanes going the same direction, which would be a four lane road if it carried traffic in both directions. I typically do not do this even though it's legal, simply because the other driver is usually confused or becomes scared or hostile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia