Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2007, 02:05 PM

11 posts, read 39,057 times

Advertisements

My husband is planning to fly in for a second interview for a job in Herndon, va. We are looking at Leesburg as a place to check out or somewhere around there. Does anyone have any advice on the area we have never been to Virginia. Does Leesburg feel like a small town or a big city feel? What about Lovettsville or Purcellville? Does Leesburg feel like a town of it's own or does it back up right to the main sprawl of DC? We are looking for a small town feel with a few amenities and not too, too far of a drive. We also looked at Winchester a little online if anyone has any advice about this town. Thank you SO much for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 03:22 PM

12 posts, read 95,389 times
I think Leesburg would be a great spot for well populated area, with a lot of businesses (not to mention the outlets) but also feel not crowded.

Leesburg is the last stop on the toll road/greenway roadway... it isn't the cheapest road to take, but is time effective.

I've lived in Herndon and in Sterling over the years and felt more "crowded"... mainly because there was that next town next to you (Herndon, Reston, Sterling, Ashburn). Leesburg, to me, feels like the end of the line of stacked towns etc.

Only a couple mins outside of Leesburg and you get that back country feel (which I enjoy since I grew up on the Eastern Shore of MD).

Winchester, Lovettsville or Purcellville are nice but just a little further out.

Coming from the Eastern Shore I am used to the country sites and sounds... over my 5 years in NoVA (from Herndon to Sterling to Leesburg) I have really enjoyed my time in Leesburg!

Best of luck!!

Old 10-13-2007, 02:24 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
we love Leesburg.
We choose it over Ashburn and Sterling because of the real "town" feel it has. Leesburg has a old historic downtown that is thriving. we even still have the old 2 screen Theater "The Tally Ho" that is still family owned. It's close enough to DC to enjoy weekend jaunts but far enough out for elbow room. The is a mix and diversity of income levels here which is nice.
I still has retained it's hometown feel. we have Town parades at 4th of July, Halloween, Memorial day etc... First Fridays in downtown with music etc... Garden Festival, and summer concerts on the old courthouse lawn.
IDA LEE rec center is here for swimming, tennis, gym basketball, raquetball etc... and they are expanding.

I really like Purceville too it has some amenities like grocery and a few resturants etc... but you will find your self comming into Leesburg for lots of things.

Lovettesville is pretty far out...traffic can get bad. Not too many amenities out there.

Luckettes is north on 15 and growing like crazy and has NO amenities...traffic on rt15 has gotten horrible. You have to come into Leesburg for everything. They do have an elementary school but the MS and HS are both in Leesburg.

PM if you have any questions.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:36 PM

11 posts, read 39,057 times
Thank you both SOOO much! Do you have any advice on which side/part of Leesburg feels the most rural? Thank you so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia