U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 07:33 AM

975 posts, read 1,532,399 times

Advertisements

I live in Sterling, and I walked out this morning to an unfamiliar stench. Honestly, I thought it was just me (I've been sick, so I can't trust my nose). But I could smell it at my office as well a few miles away, and a local friend posted on FB about an unusual "sewage" smell this morning. I'm not sure it's sewage; I went to college in York, PA, and it's very reminiscent of the paper mill smells from there. Anyone else smell it? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 AM

5,121 posts, read 5,867,562 times
I've been smelling a lot of manure lately as people are treating their lawns before winter... could that be the smell?

Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,810,366 times
Non-useful responses in no particular order

1)Are you two related?

2)Its just residual stench from the election

3)Us in Fairfax call it Kimchi, and we love it

4)I told you those cronies at MWAA were rotten

5)The stink of toll road users crapping all over themselves about the toll rate hike Jan 1st

6)I dont know what it is, but its clearly a sign of global climate change

7)I blame the republicans

8)I blame the democrats

9)Its sex panther, and 72% of the time, it works everytime

10) Whoever smelt it dealt it

This message brought to you by a slow holiday week at work

Old 11-19-2012, 08:20 AM

8,854 posts, read 13,353,005 times
I don't know about the smell, but I just want to add that Jillabean and Jillybean720, the two of you confuse me. I know one of you is in Sterling with a new baby. And one of you is a single mom (in Woodbridge?). For awhile, I thought you were the same person. That's all I want to say. I hope you figure out what the stench is.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:25 AM

5,121 posts, read 5,867,562 times
ROTFL... thanks Tysonengineer. It's a painfully slow day for me too and I needed the laugh.

I don't think Jillybean and I are related, but it's funny that our handles are similar. I based mine off a character in a book, wonder if Jilly did too.

I am the single mom... in Springfield (for the record).

Old 11-19-2012, 08:59 AM

975 posts, read 1,532,399 times
ha, nope, not related (as far as I know!). I'd be the new mom in Sterling (but previously lived in Woodbridge, so that's probably where that confusion came in). My name has nothing to do with any book characters - I've been using variations of this name online since I was in high school!

Bonus point to michgc for excellent recall, though I won't say it's not slightly disturbing

Oh, and, apparently, it may actually be a sewage issue. My HOE discussion group has been chatting about it this morning, and Loudoun Water has been alerted. Hopefully, the stench will be a thing of the past soon...

Old 11-19-2012, 09:20 AM

8,854 posts, read 13,353,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
ha, nope, not related (as far as I know!). I'd be the new mom in Sterling (but previously lived in Woodbridge, so that's probably where that confusion came in). My name has nothing to do with any book characters - I've been using variations of this name online since I was in high school!

Bonus point to michgc for excellent recall, though I won't say it's not slightly disturbing

Oh, and, apparently, it may actually be a sewage issue. My HOE discussion group has been chatting about it this morning, and Loudoun Water has been alerted. Hopefully, the stench will be a thing of the past soon...
If it makes you feel better I remember people's birthdays from high school and my kids' friends' middle names. I promise I'm not a crazed stalker. Besides, I live 4 1/2 hours away now.

Glad you found the source of the stench. A few years ago we were driving down south and there was an awful sewage stench for miles on the highway. I think there was low water that summer or something. It was gross; I cannot imagine smelling that for very long. Hope they clear it up soon!

Old 11-19-2012, 10:35 AM

227 posts, read 503,060 times
I smelled it this morning also when I went to take my kids to school. I live in Chantilly. I even told my kids "phew! What is that smell!!". I hope it goes away soon

Old 11-19-2012, 03:09 PM

165 posts, read 180,948 times
Maybe it's the wind coming from Alexandria.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:42 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,097,949 times
That's gotta be my mum-in-law's Thanksgiving meatloaf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia