Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 11:52 PM

19 posts, read 55,743 times

Advertisements

I am seeking clarification that the job market is hot in the DC metro area, particularly NOVA.

As a telecommunications technician, I have worked in the central office and Network Control Center for big telephone companies. I have an Associates degree in Computer Networking, a BA in Management, and certification on the Nortel DMS switch. I am preparing to test for the Cisco CCNA certification.

After being laid-off in 2001, with about 300 coworkers, I have not been able to find a decent job since. I've been struggling to survive here, in Portland, Oregon, working as an independent computer/telecom consultant. The job market really sucks here in Portland. There has been encouraging feedback to my resume in the DC area, but they usually won't respond if the resume is out of state.

My limitations are the fact that I have no security clearance (never been in the military). I'm a network/computer technician, not a programmer. Nowadays, they want so much experience, education, and certifications, that I have been closed out of the job market. Also since my back is going bad, I cannot do the jobs requiring lots of climbing or lifting.

Do they advertise lots of jobs, but only hire a select few in NOVA? Are there unemployed computer technicians there?

Anyway, I have a couple of weeks to decide, because soon it will be too cold and snowy to drive across the country from the west coast. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 08:34 AM

261 posts, read 1,667,223 times
People here are very cert-centric, especially if you don't have a clearance. It also doesn't help that you're out of state. You might be able to talk your way into an interview if you were local.

I'm actually considering moving to Portland myself, I've heard the job market there wasn't the greatest so I'm a bit concerned.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:19 AM

414 posts, read 2,281,178 times
The job market in the DC Metro area is excellent for most career fields. But keep in mind that if you have a saturated skill-set, landing a job will take sometime...so don't expect a miracle just because you're in the DC Metro area. Folks that have both solid experience, coupled with tons of education/certifications/licenses, etc typically get first dibs on prospective interviews/job offers. Keep in mind that while the DC Metro area has steadily been a labor-force mecca, don't forget that there are also tons, and very qualified candidates in the area for employers to choose from too, which can make getting a good job somewhat difficult for many.

Good Luck!

Old 08-07-2007, 02:23 PM

Unhappy Portland Oregon...BUYER BEWARE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb124 View Post
People here are very cert-centric, especially if you don't have a clearance. It also doesn't help that you're out of state. You might be able to talk your way into an interview if you were local.

I'm actually considering moving to Portland myself, I've heard the job market there wasn't the greatest so I'm a bit concerned.
The job market is terrible in Oregon. For example, I had an interview where the IT manager really liked me and said if the HR guy approved, I would be hired. So the HR guy came into the room and berated me because my shirt wasn't ironed and my glasses are in need of repair. My heart fell through the floor and I just walked out. Just to give you an idea of the brazen disrespect and cruelty that employers exercise due to the dead job market. All of the hard work, education, and experience, mean nothing here. You must fit a certain profile, I guess.

A new pair of glasses will cost at least a couple of hundred dollars. I have put off going to the dentist and going to the doctor for a physical exam (I am suffering back pain). Furthermore, I must pay rent and buy groceries. I was hoping to get hired before spending hundreds on a new pair of glasses. This all must sound so very tawdry, but life is real, life is earnest, when you can't find a job and are low on funds.

Nobody has ever complained about my shirt not being ironed, in fact, it is common to be interviewed by somebody in shorts and sandals.

I moved to Portland from NOVA 11 years ago with a job and bright prospects. Now I am facing grinding poverty and trying to escape. Beware of Portland!

A friend of mine has a BS in Computer Science and cannot find a job here! Another friend, with years experience as an Oracle DBA, had to leave for lack of work.

Here's another example. I was treated like crap by a company that hired me in 2000. The HR representative screeched at me for complaining about my bully boss and broken employment promises. Later, after I quit due to a hostile work environment, somebody told me that the department manager was purging the ranks and filling the jobs with only people from his church!

After being laid-off with 250 others from a large telecom company here, I went back to school and got an Associates degree in Computer Networking, and still cannot find a decent job here.

The job market is BRUTAL in Portland. Do not come here unless you have a solid gig lined-up! Even the baristas and kitchen help are scrambling for work. I'd advise you check the Portland threads before making a decision. My experience is that it's very clannish and employees are treated like dirt, because of the poor job market. Do your homework and check with employers before moving.

If my escape to NOVA or Richmond or Philadelphia, or wherever, does not work out, well, it's the end of the line.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:05 PM

261 posts, read 1,667,223 times
Thanks for the info cadgbd, sounds scary!

Old 10-07-2007, 12:37 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb124 View Post
Thanks for the info cadgbd, sounds scary!
And ONE person's experience! I'm in Portland and have never had this kind of problem finding a job!!!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:52 PM

Exclamation oldintype, what do you do

If you never had trouble finding a job, what do you do? I have asked many people and the vast majority indicate that the job market is tight. So what is your profession?

You may not be having trouble, but many others do. If someone moved Portland based upon your advice and then could not find a job, you would have done a great disservice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia