Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 09:44 AM

171 posts, read 234,741 times

Advertisements

We just moved from Fairfax to Loudoun County and my front license plate bracket broke during the move. I was pulled over in the checkpoint on Waxpool Rd. last weekend for failing to post my front plate. I showed the officer where I had the plate in the front floorboard and explained that I had moved the previous Saturday and hadn't had a chance to replace the broken bracket, but was cited anyway. Does anyone know what the fine is in Loudoun County for a failure to post front license plate? Is it points on your license? Should I bother going to court or just prepay the violation fine and be done with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 10:45 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,225,223 times
Fine looks to be $25, with a $51 processing fee, so total is $76. I'd just pay the fine. Not sure why you would bother going to court. Just because you had a reason it was not on the car, it doesn't make it a valid excuse.

LIS > Supreme Court Rules > vscr-3B:2

Old 12-14-2012, 11:10 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,299,854 times
I would try this first. Reattach it, properly, then call the officer asking if he would stop and inspect it or let you email him a picture showing it was fixed. (Clearly show the tag and car) It's possible he will try and get it CWL for you. (Complied with law) This is not really a typical CWL ticket but it doesn't hurt to try. You can call the agency and ask for the officers office number. If he refuses to assist you call the commonwealth attorneys office and try with them. If they say no I guess you either need to contest it or pay it off. You can also go to court on the date and plead "guilty with an explanation." Tell the judge what happened. He/she can dismiss it, drop the fine (still have to pay the court costs) or he/she will hit you with the standard fine.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:16 PM

979 posts, read 1,782,113 times
When I've been to traffic courts before (in Fairfax County), I've seen judges drop tickets for folks who have since fixed whatever they were ticketed for, so I might hope that would happen for this as well.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:27 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,225,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
When I've been to traffic courts before (in Fairfax County), I've seen judges drop tickets for folks who have since fixed whatever they were ticketed for, so I might hope that would happen for this as well.
While I agree with what you (and BF) say, is it worth the time? If you still have to pay the admin fees, the most they would erase is $25. Is it worth is to take time off of work, sit in a courtroom and pay for parking for $25?

Old 12-14-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
While I agree with what you (and BF) say, is it worth the time? If you still have to pay the admin fees, the most they would erase is $25. Is it worth is to take time off of work, sit in a courtroom and pay for parking for $25?
Hence the pics and phone calls.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:24 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,437,079 times
It is like a parking ticket in that it does not carry any points. Personally I'd just pay the fine and move on. Going to court won't be worth it because even if you win the court fee will wipe out what you'll save off of the actual fine. I suppose you can call or email the cop, but if he cared that much about cutting you a break you wouldn't have been ticketed in the first place.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
It is like a parking ticket in that it does not carry any points. Personally I'd just pay the fine and move on. Going to court won't be worth it because even if you win the court fee will wipe out what you'll save off of the actual fine. I suppose you can call or email the cop, but if he cared that much about cutting you a break you wouldn't have been ticketed in the first place.
Not necessarily. The checking detail might have been for a reason. Maybe they were told to write everyone they could. I wrote a ticket, once in a while, and personally if the person wasn't a moron with a horrible record I didn't care for a moment what the CA did in court with the ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: