Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2012, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 1,946 times

Advertisements

I've scoured the posts and don't see anything current regarding the Woodmont neighborhood.

Would anyone living there be willing to share your thoughts? Are people generally friendly? (I know. Who's going to say people here are jerks? But in some areas around McLean, there's a bit of chill in the air and people readily admit it.) Are there neighborhood events, like barbeques, fundraisers, Christmas caroling, toy drives...

The demographics skew toward people over 45, educated, and either retired or working with income in the mid-$200k. Statistics can be misleading and dry and don't really speak to how people interact with one another, so I'd love any on-the-ground perspectives.

We're a gay male couple who've been together 20 years. (Married in California.) No children. Both of us are in professional occupations. I work from home and my husband will drive to Tysons Corner.

We keep to ourselves, but always invite our immediate neighbors to functions at our house, like a our traditional Christmas Day open house.

The homes in some areas of Woodmont are appealing for the uniqueness they offer. It seems some were one-offs built in the 1960s, as opposed to all large scale developments. Plus, some areas have bigger lots with wooded outlooks.

Really appreciate it any and all comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 11:55 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,738,774 times
I'm 90% sure you're referring to the Woodmont neighborhood of N. Arlington--correct? This is just north of Lorcom Lane, near Spout Run.

I have no firsthand info, though I do know that area is among the most affluent in an already affluent area. It may skew more conservative than you might prefer; that tends to be true of the far reaches of N. Arlington, at least compared to the rest of Arl. (So perhaps it's not saying much. We know people in McLean who are fairly liberal.) That's a great location for commuting, though--close to all the major arteries.

One kooky thing about Woodmont is that one particular home (on N. 24th St.) is a group home for young Christian conservatives, called the Cedars. It's owned by the group that puts on the national prayer breakfasts.

Good luck!

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 12-23-2012 at 12:13 PM..

Old 12-23-2012, 03:54 PM

518 posts, read 1,452,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I'm 90% sure you're referring to the Woodmont neighborhood of N. Arlington--correct? This is just north of Lorcom Lane, near Spout Run.

I have no firsthand info, though I do know that area is among the most affluent in an already affluent area. It may skew more conservative than you might prefer; that tends to be true of the far reaches of N. Arlington, at least compared to the rest of Arl. (So perhaps it's not saying much. We know people in McLean who are fairly liberal.) That's a great location for commuting, though--close to all the major arteries.

One kooky thing about Woodmont is that one particular home (on N. 24th St.) is a group home for young Christian conservatives, called the Cedars. It's owned by the group that puts on the national prayer breakfasts.

Good luck!
The Cedars own more than one home in the neighborhood, and Woodmont does lean conservative. That said there are a mix of homes (original ones from the 1910s through the 1960s) in addition to newer ones built in the last decade. Sandra Bullock grew up in the neighborhood.

How important is public transportation? Metro will make it to Tysons next year, and there are lots of attractive neighborhoods closer to Metro. Also, don't limit your search to Woodmont. I'd look at similar neighborhoods in Arlington like Country Club Hills and Bellevue Forest as well.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,946 times
These are great points. Thank you!

The Metro is a wonderful thing and would love a house within walking distance. There just aren't many. I know things will perk-up late winter - early spring. Woodmont just has such nice big lots and I want an apiary on my property.

Country Club Hills and Bellevue Forest sound interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

As for the Cedars, that doesn't bother me. I image they keep to themselves. Likewise people with conservative views. My fear are those who seem compelled to go out of their way to make it clear you're not welcome in the neighborhood.

I'll look forward to other comments.

Best wishes for a happy holiday season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia