Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 01:20 PM

162 posts, read 357,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
Thanks for all replies.

@ spleuchan, If I was commuting to G street in DC, wouldn't the best option to be to drive from Dominion Valley to a metro or VRE, park it and let the train drive? I grew up on Long Island, NY with everyone commuting to Manhattan, you would drive to the station that was closest to your home, park, and train it in then walk from the closest stop to your office.

It seems bizarre to me that lack of mass transit infrastructure throughout the DC metro area. NoVA has a huge population yet in 2013 there isn't a strong network of mass transit, seems like people are driving their commute too much, disappointing.

This is why you should consider the Ashburn area. That will likely get you closer to the Metro, which is already in the process of heading that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 01:32 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,246,840 times
That would be the Vienna metro stop which has the benefit of being the last stop so you actually get a seat. Can I assume G Street means near the Foggy Bottom metro stop? 66 can be a real crap shoot in the am even at that time of the morning. At a minimum I would plan on 1 hr to drive, park and walk to the platform.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:41 PM

693 posts, read 1,132,345 times
So, it seems like the smarter commute is from the Ashburn area then the Haymarket area.

@ middlin: Are you saying from my home in the Ashburn area, I should plan on 1 hr to drive, park and walk to the platform for the Vienna metro stop? Is this at 6am'ish?

Is Vienna currently the last stop heading out to Ashburn/Loudoun County? Once the Ashburn metro stop is completed shouldnt that cut the commute significantly into DC?

Old 01-21-2013, 02:08 PM

693 posts, read 1,132,345 times
Also,

What is the transit time from Vienna to Foggy Bottom on the Orange Line?

Does Vienna metro have a parking problem?

Old 01-21-2013, 02:37 PM

I like Haymarket a lot, and do like DV, but in all honesty there is not a lot to distinquish Haymarket, Gainesville & Bristow in terms of family friendly, more affordable newer homes, community amenities, etc. If for instance you found a house you liked in Piedmont, you wouldn't be missing out on anything special or unique that DV has but could save you some time. When we moved to this area I had a coworker that lived in the area and asked him about the differences in the neighborhood and beyond liking a particular house or school boundary issues, we opted to live the closest we could to 66. I especially appreciated that advice at the time since the roads in the area are no one near to what they are today. We moved in 2009 just a few miles away from our old neighborhood and if we have lived here in 2003 it would have easily added 20-30 minutes. I will say that Battlefield HS is very overcrowded. It's gotten better since the opening of Patriot HS, but still way over capacity.

Given your choices I would take Aldie off the list. You aren't gaining much in terms of commute since Route 50 is such a nightmare and even when metro opens in Ashburn without the widening of the roads to get there.......I just don't see where you would get that much more house and not improve the commute that much in comparison to something closer to the new metro

Old 01-21-2013, 02:57 PM

No, I meant from Haymarket. I have no experience living in Ashburn

There are old threads about parking at Vienna metro but if recollection serves, it gets full around 7:30am

Here is the link to metro so you can use the metro trip planner, but again if memory serves, the train ride itself is 30 approx 30 minutes

Metro - Home page

Old 01-21-2013, 02:59 PM

Here is link describing the metro plans in Loudoun county

Dulles Metrorail - About Dulles Metrorail

Old 01-21-2013, 04:30 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,496,775 times
Metro to Reston is opening this fall. It is perhaps a 15-20 minute commute from Ashburn-Leesburg to Reston if you take the Greenway/Toll Road (but it'll cost you), or 30-35 if you took 7 to 28 to whatever backroads.

Now, Metro to Dulles is almost certainly going to happen, and Metro to Ashburn is probably going to happen (I assume the No Metro folks don't have a lawsuit or two up their sleeve.)

I'm not sure why you'd prefer Prince William to Loudoun -- there's more jobs in Loudoun, a better commute to where the jobs are (along 267 and even to some extent 270 if you're willing to take MARC), and better (or at least higher-scoring) schools.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:34 PM

373 posts, read 866,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
@ spleuchan, If I was commuting to G street in DC, wouldn't the best option to be to drive from Dominion Valley to a metro or VRE, park it and let the train drive? I grew up on Long Island, NY with everyone commuting to Manhattan, you would drive to the station that was closest to your home, park, and train it in then walk from the closest stop to your office.
Yes, to DC, metro would be much recommended. I thought you wanted to drive the whole way. So to the Vienna metro station that early in the morning would probably take around 25-30 minutes. Going home, I'm on I-66 a little after 3 pm, and its about 35-40 minutes (well was when I was in the regular lanes, now I ride in HOV so its a little less for me). I will very occasionally get on around 5 pm, and its probably more like an hour at that time for your I-66 portion in the regular lanes. Someone might have better info for the afternoon commute. I like the haymarket/gainesville area, but I'm sure Ashburn would be nice too.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:37 PM

373 posts, read 866,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I'm not sure why you'd prefer Prince William to Loudoun -- there's more jobs in Loudoun, a better commute to where the jobs are (along 267 and even to some extent 270 if you're willing to take MARC), and better (or at least higher-scoring) schools.
One reason people pick PWC over Loudoun is it is cheaper in PWC. If you compared apples to apples houses and land, the one in PWC would be cheaper. Its based on your budget and what kind of house you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia