Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 09:09 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,493,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleuchan View Post
One reason people pick PWC over Loudoun is it is cheaper in PWC. If you compared apples to apples houses and land, the one in PWC would be cheaper. Its based on your budget and what kind of house you want.
IIRC OP had a budget up to $500k. You will get a SFH in the older parts of Ashburn/Sterling (dates to the 80s usually) for that price. But not shiny new construction.

That is easier to meet in Prince William than in Loudoun.

But my preferences are not shared by all. I chose a 1970s house near downtown Leesburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 10:46 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,222,144 times
From Ashburn you should not be driving to Vienna METRO station.

You should drive to the Herndon Monroe parking structure in Herndon and take a Fairfax Connector express bus to West Falls Church http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/

Or you should be taking the Loudoun County bus directly into the city.
Loudoun County, VA - Official Website - Commuter Bus Service

Old 01-23-2013, 01:24 AM

693 posts, read 1,131,637 times
Thanks JfromReston, so the fairfax connector gets you to the West Falls Church metro and the Loudoun County bus takes you directly into DC proper. On the surface the Loudoun County bus seems easiest, is it also the fastest?

I guess the biggest downfall of the Loudoun service is that it is using surface roads so subject to traffic whereas the metro is not.

How long is the drive from Ashburn to the Herndon Monroe parking structure? How long is the metro from West Falls Church metro to Foggy Bottom metro?

Its strange, my entire move back to the US seems to have been dominated by commuter options and my typical drive to work each morning is 15 minutes normally only being held up by a tractor of sorts on a farmers road, BIG changes coming.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:11 AM

1,526 posts, read 2,243,996 times
Herndon-Monroe Park and Ride*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Again, it would largely depend on where exactly in Ashburn. Keep in mind that miles don't mean a lot in the area. Congestion just to go few miles can really add up in terms of time.

Secondly, really think about what type of commute you want. When I used to live in Alexandria I took the bus to the Pentagon and then metro, then walk to my office. It got really old, really fast and having to time the bus schedule was a real pain. When I lived in Arlington I had a bit of a walk, but just having to take metro and not the bus was less of a pain to me.

The link in previous posts will tell metro times. Are you sure that is the closest metro station to your office? I was just making an assumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia