Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,914,467 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving from Bethesda to Arlington at some point in the next 6-12 months. Obviously the prices now won't be the same as they will be in a year, but I have to say I'm shocked at the prices in South Arlington (I know...I know...you probably hear this all the time).

Maybe there's a drought on Craigslist right now, but the only studios I found close to metro station are hovering around $1500. Now, these are brand-new looking places, so is the problem that there just isn't any older housing stock in that area? Or is now just not the time that they tend to post? (which would leave me hopeful of some deals later). I suppose I'm just surprised that I'm seeing prices similar to North Arlington or Bethesda.

My goal:
apartment within 10 min. walk of either CC or PC metro
studio (currently live in 3 BR apartment and hope to live alone, but I could settle for 1 roommate)
Budget < $1100
Free parking

Is this at all realistic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 05:58 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,454,783 times
They have always been around that relative level. PC/CC is more like 22201 than it is like 22204 or 22206. It is a desirable area and always has been. Aside from that, you are paying to be close to 2 metros, near shops, and a quick commute by car to Georgetown, downtown DC, Capitol Hill, Old Town and other places people need/want to go.

There are a lot of older buildings in that area. But I don't know if you will find anything $1100 without sharing. You might want to consider places on Columbia Pike (not close to metrorail).

Old 01-22-2013, 06:08 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,943,013 times
No, a studio under $1100 is not realistic in CC/PC. It wasn't realistic when we were looking back in 2008 either. We had a budget of $1800 for a 1 br at the time and couldn't find anything (not even including parking--which ran up to a couple hundred more in some places).

Old 01-22-2013, 08:06 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,853 times
You will have a hard time find anything decent in arlington/alexandria for $1100 without having a roommate, especially within reasonable walking distance of a metro. Columbia Pike is still $1300+ for a 1br.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:52 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,378,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
No, a studio under $1100 is not realistic in CC/PC.
When I moved to that area in the early 2000s, the cheapest studio was just under 1100. Needless to say, that's an extremely unrealistic budget now.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 PM

518 posts, read 1,450,479 times
It is realistic. Look for income-restricted apartments. Most high-end buildings usually set aside around 20 apartments for those that make either less than 80% or 60% of the median income. So you can find studios with all the bells and whistles for about $1000/mo! Otherwise it's $1,600 and up for studios close to DC in a nice neighborhood.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:55 AM

6 posts, read 7,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
It is realistic. Look for income-restricted apartments. Most high-end buildings usually set aside around 20 apartments for those that make either less than 80% or 60% of the median income. So you can find studios with all the bells and whistles for about $1000/mo! Otherwise it's $1,600 and up for studios close to DC in a nice neighborhood.
Can anybody provide some tips on how to look for these subsidized apartments that are part of the "high-end" apartments? I have gone to the HUD website and some other websites (can't remember now) to look for subsidized housing, but I have only found apartments where the entire community is HUD. I don't have much experience with living in a big city, and I am not sure about the safety and quality of these apartments. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 02-23-2013, 10:31 AM

199 posts, read 333,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongPigeon View Post
Can anybody provide some tips on how to look for these subsidized apartments that are part of the "high-end" apartments? I have gone to the HUD website and some other websites (can't remember now) to look for subsidized housing, but I have only found apartments where the entire community is HUD. I don't have much experience with living in a big city, and I am not sure about the safety and quality of these apartments. Any help would be appreciated!
Arlington County has a comprehensive list on their website: http://www.arlingtonva.us/Department...ffordable.aspx. It's not an ironclad rule, but a lot of the buildings listed "Elevator" are more modern, luxury units, while garden units are pretty much always the older ones.

You should also be able to search for them on this site: http://www.socialserve.com/tenant/Se...rental&basic=t

It appears the majority of affordable units are in north Arlington, which is also a nice area (I live there myself). The bad news is that as you might expect, there is a waiting list for virtually every one of these income-restricted units. Still worth a shot to get on a few of them and see if anything opens up in a few months since it seems you don't have to move right away. Good luck!

Old 02-23-2013, 02:50 PM

231 posts, read 575,424 times
my husbands cousin is renting a 1 bedroom apartment in CC and he is paying $1800. I about fell over when they told me it cost that much for a 1 bedroom! We live in Chantilly and rent a 3 bedroom townhome for $1650

Old 03-14-2013, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,027 times
Default Four Mile Run Area?

Can anyone describe the Four Mile run area in Arlington VA? Is the area high crime, or could a single female live there ok? Is any there going to be any development along Columbia Pike either?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia