Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:13 AM

939 posts, read 1,893,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrekyos View Post
Hoffman Center is quite a trek, and there's nothing much there. Ruby Tuesday? Blech.
Quite a trek from where? It's 2-3 blocks from the center of the Carlyle... (USPTO). Ruby Tuesdays is literally the worst option in there, it has Teds, Deliahs, some mexican restaurant that isn't half bad, and a few other small quick places. Everywhere in Carlyle is literally a 5 minute walk to everywhere else in Carlyle.

The only thing inconvenient in the entire Carlyle area is that odd garden style apartment complex next to the sewage plant that doesn't blend in or is attached to anything, yet is somehow considered a part of Carlyle. I'm guessing the management company did some creative marketing with that..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 07:29 AM

206 posts, read 432,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Quite a trek from where? It's 2-3 blocks from the center of the Carlyle... (USPTO). Ruby Tuesdays is literally the worst option in there, it has Teds, Deliahs, some mexican restaurant that isn't half bad, and a few other small quick places. Everywhere in Carlyle is literally a 5 minute walk to everywhere else in Carlyle.

The only thing inconvenient in the entire Carlyle area is that odd garden style apartment complex next to the sewage plant that doesn't blend in or is attached to anything, yet is somehow considered a part of Carlyle. I'm guessing the management company did some creative marketing with that..
They are not nearly that close, stop exaggerating. Google Maps calculates it as 11 minutes from Dulany St, and that's being generous.

And there are no garden-style apartments here, I don't know what you're talking about there.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
They are not nearly that close, stop exaggerating. Google Maps calculates it as 11 minutes from Dulany St, and that's being generous.

And there are no garden-style apartments here, I don't know what you're talking about there.
Considering I walk the area daily, I know I'm not exaggerating unless you move at a snail's pace.

Here are those out-of-place garden style apartments, wedged in between the jail and sewage plant:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=22314...22314&t=h&z=18

I think it's these: 800 Carlyle | Contemporary Apartment Homes

Old 02-06-2013, 08:07 AM

That's not garden style. That's a mid-rise. They're not next to either the ASA or the detention center. Jungle's Gym is on one side, and there's a cement place on the other. Look at the map. Then again, you seem to have trouble judging distances, so I guess I'll have to forgive you for that one.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:15 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,176,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
^What s/he said.

I believe the Mexican restaurant is called San Antonio Bar & Grill.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:17 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,176,024 times
Quote:
11 minutes is a quick walk to me. The old Dash lunch loop bus (RIP) would probably take that long just getting to King and Washington Streets - the "center" of Old Town - from the Carlyle area.

I would imagine that the restaurants at Hoffman offer lunch specials that are served up quickly to accommodate those taking roughly 20 minutes of their lunch hour to walk to and from there.

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-06-2013 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 02-06-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
That's not garden style. That's a mid-rise. They're not next to either the ASA or the detention center. Jungle's Gym is on one side, and there's a cement place on the other. Look at the map. Then again, you seem to have trouble judging distances, so I guess I'll have to forgive you for that one.
3-5 stories are typically considered garden style, but if you want to say it's a midrise, fine. The point is, it's not really a part of the Carlyle development, and is the only thing truly (sort of) inconvenient to anything else. If I lived there, I could see complaining about the walk to some places like the metro or the rest of old town, but anywhere in the actual Carlyle is quite convenient.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 AM

Garden style apartments do not have internal hallways, 800 Carlyle does.

Now, you DO realize that the place in the OP (Carlyle Plaza One/Two), if and when it's ever built, will be DIRECTLY to the north of 800 Carlyle, right? Literally right next to it, across the street. So if you think that spot is inconvenient, then you're saying the same about where they're proposing to move the NSF.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:36 AM

I was unaware there were interior hallways. Good for them.

NSF proposal is to be in the parking lot in front of the Hoffman movie theater (check my original link for renderings). That would be Carlyle Place Two. Carlyle Place One would be built in that empty lot between 800 carlyle and the rest of Carlyle. By building that, and leveling that warehouse shopping center and building more highrises (the ultimate goal), then 800 would be linked to the rest of the community. As it is now, it's sort of out there by itself, but they likely have some sort of shuttle service to the metro, Carlyle and the rest of Old Town one could take advantage of.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:38 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,385,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Not to mention that there are some slightly more sophisticated sit-down options just across the way at the Hoffman Center on Eisenhower Ave.
And there is now a sushi place and a Thai place in Carlyle, and a Chinese place and a Mediterranean place across Eisenhower. And there's always been a Chinese pay-by-the-pound place in Carlyle as well as an Italian/pizza place across Duke.

There are still way too many vacant retail slots in the neighborhood, but it is improving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia