Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:48 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,315,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I've been there. Picante is Tex-Mex and the employees are Central American, not border Mexican. It was meh. We've covered this before.
You are so right. BUT! That shouldn't be a degradation of the food available.

While there aren't for real mexican options like you might find in LA, there are amazing Peruvian chicken and central american restaurants in this area. Different vibe, different flavors, just as amazing when its done right and authentic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 07:02 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
You are so right. BUT! That shouldn't be a degradation of the food available.

While there aren't for real mexican options like you might find in LA, there are amazing Peruvian chicken and central american restaurants in this area. Different vibe, different flavors, just as amazing when its done right and authentic
Peruvian chicken's not my thing.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:12 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,129,740 times
Quote:
I've been there. Picante is Tex-Mex and the employees are Central American, not border Mexican. It was meh. We've covered this before.
One girl I spoke to was from TJ and another was from Juarez. While I am unfamiliar with TJ, Juarez was my back yard. She knew Juarez enough to have been from there.

As to tex mex, of course. You aren't going to get Mexican food in most of America.

I haven't seen it here, in Indiana, most of Cali and few real places in Chicago.

But they do have Mexican dishes...

Mole isn't tex mex, their antohijtos were decent.

But what is true Mexican food?

Food from Jalisco is different then Oaxaca, Chihuahua, etc...

Even Anita's, while corrupted by time and distance, is pretty close to New Mexican.

If I want real Mexican food or even tacos I fly home...

I stand by them. I have yet to find better. If you know one feel free to point it out and I will see.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post

I stand by them. I have yet to find better. If you know one feel free to point it out and I will see.
Well if you don't mind driving to Mount Vernon perhaps you can try the taco place I mentioned in my earlier post and see what you think. Although it's kind of a hike to go if you're out around Chantilly just for tacos. However if you have a hankering for beef brains on a steamed tortilla, it might be worth it.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Well if you don't mind driving to Mount Vernon perhaps you can try the taco place I mentioned in my earlier post and see what you think. Although it's kind of a hike to go if you're out around Chantilly just for tacos.
I'm in Reston.

I'll drive. Good food is worth it.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I'm in Reston.

I'll drive. Good food is worth it.
Gotta warn ya though, it's pretty basic. No margs or sangria.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:29 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Tacos El Mirador: El Mirador Restaurant - Manassas, VA

3 Tacos, your choice of meat. Each taco has a nice big slice of avocado, cilantro, lettuce. Comes with rice/beans, pica de gallo and cucumbers on the side. And another big slice of avocado. You essentially get about an entire avocado per order, it's insane. They also serve with a few pieces of tortillas and a green sauce that I just can't figure out. All for less than $10. Plus you get to watch free Telemundo while dining. Nothing helps with digestion than a nice novela.

Very popular with the ethnic crowd. I remember taking my coworkers there for the first time. They were the only white people in the entire place Now they always want to eat there.

Forgot to mention, it's kind of in a run down shopping center but that helps with the ambiance. You'd probably drive by and never think of stopping. Give it a chance. It might surprise you...

Old 02-08-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Gotta warn ya though, it's pretty basic. No margs or sangria.
Lol

That's alright...

Old 02-08-2013, 08:31 PM

152 posts, read 179,842 times
I really like the chicken tacos at Tipicos Don Gloria in Herndon. I'm a native Northern Virginian, so I don't know if they're authentic, but they taste good to me.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:33 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,149,430 times
Quote:
Even Anita's, while corrupted by time and distance, is pretty close to New Mexican.
I am a big fan of New Mexican food. Anita's tastes nothing like New Mexican to me. It's "American Mexican." Does Anita's even use New Mexico green chile?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia