Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 04:34 PM

24 posts, read 37,485 times

Advertisements

We are moving to NOVA this summer. Husband's job will be in Reston,we have 3 kids, one finishing HS, one last year MS and one entering HS, so HS more important. We would love a SF house but come to realize a townhouse will give us more space, etc and happy with that. We want to buy and have a budget of $400-425k, would like 4 bedrooms. So our delima is where to live. I have read there may be re-districting in Brambleton area, meaning Ryan Road the dividing line. We found a new development Dunlap Heights Terrace in Ashburn with houses within our range. HS all seem great just down to personal preference, but we like Stone Bridge, Brair Woods, Hertitage, and Loudon County thus far. Our kids enjoy sports and are good but may be behind due where we are living, and read some schools are very competitive that it may be hard to make school teams. I have also read more "things" in Leesburg area compared to Ashburn, though Ashburn offers a lot. We have considered Fairfax County like Chantiliy and Vienna, but not sure money will get as much or about commute. Lastly, I have been told to be carefu and to buy in between the 2 major roads from DC to airport so we would not have to use them for commuting. I'm sure I have learned more,but someone else's input would be nice. Thank you in advance for your thoughts, input and opinions.

So what are your thoughts
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 08:10 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,293,930 times
The redistricting will not only affect Brambleton. HS-6 will open in Loudoun Valley Estates in fall 2014; HS-8 will open in Lansdowne in fall 2015. The redistricting process for both will happen this spring, and will affect the boundaries for Tuscarora, Stone Bridge, Broad Run, and Briar Woods.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:47 AM

24 posts, read 37,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
The redistricting will not only affect Brambleton. HS-6 will open in Loudoun Valley Estates in fall 2014; HS-8 will open in Lansdowne in fall 2015. The redistricting process for both will happen this spring, and will affect the boundaries for Tuscarora, Stone Bridge, Broad Run, and Briar Woods.
Is there a website I can use to keep track of redistricting? Do you know a "safe" place to buy I really don't want the kids to change schools, they have done it enough over the years. We will be ther 5+ years, maybe longer. Thanks

Old 02-10-2013, 05:09 AM

162 posts, read 357,849 times
I don't think you can count on anywhere in Loudon not redistricting within the four years your kids are in HS. And living right next to a HS does not mean you will be districted for it. The neighborhood right next to the HS I worked at (in LC) was not districted for the HS. Weird, but it happens. I think redistricting is less likely in Fairfax, but not out of the question. Apparently there are plans for a HS in the Centreville area, so that could impact Western Fairfax.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:27 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,303,029 times
Western Fairfax yes, Eastern Fairfax, the next 15 years is gonna be interesting as far as school districts.

I hadn't heard about the new HS in Centreville.

There should be a special button to call Jeb who is the most knowledgable on schools

Old 02-11-2013, 09:43 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,293,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrodz View Post
Is there a website I can use to keep track of redistricting? Do you know a "safe" place to buy I really don't want the kids to change schools, they have done it enough over the years. We will be ther 5+ years, maybe longer. Thanks
This is from LCPS Board Chairman Eric Hornberger's Facebook page:

Quote:
ASHBURN AREA MS/HS REZONING:

The School Board will be voting at its regular business meeting tomorrow (2/12/13) on opening a school attendance zone review process affecting all Ashburn area middle and high schools and resident MS/HS students in anticipation of the opening of Trailside MS and HS-6 in the Fall of 2014 and HS-8 in the Fall of 2015.

That process is proposed to include the following school attendance zones:

INVOLVED MIDDLE SCHOOLS:
Belmont Ridge Middle School
Eagle Ridge Middle School
Farmwell Station Middle School
Stone Hill Middle School

INVOLVED HIGH SCHOOLS:
Briar Woods High School
Broad Run High School
John Champe High School (specifically those planning zones also assigned to Stone Hill MS)
Stone Bridge High School
Tuscarora High School (specifically those planning zones also assigned to Belmont Ridge MS)

Below is the proposed calendar for that process:

PROPOSED CALENDAR:
Thursday, March 7: Overview/Public Hearing
Monday, March 11: Work Session
Monday, March 18: Public Hearing
Wednesday, March 20: Public Hearing/Work Session
Monday, April 1: Work Session
Thursday, April 4: Staff Briefing/Public Hearing
Tuesday, April 9: INFO ITEM at Board meeting
Monday, April 15: Staff Briefing/Public Hearing
Tuesday, April 23: ACTION ITEM at Board meeting

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments about this process. Once the process and calendar has been approved by the School Board, notifications will be sent home with all potentially affected students at the HS, MS and ES levels.
The process will be documented throughout on the LCPS Planning and Legislative Services site.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:17 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,500,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrodz View Post
The town of Leesburg and points west should be pretty safe. Likewise NE Loudoun (Sterling/Sterling Park).

Old 02-14-2013, 08:35 AM

4 posts, read 7,405 times
I have been living in Ashburn since 2003 and love living here. The Loudoun Valley community is a nice community and so is Brambleton. I prefer the Loudoun Valley community because Toll Brothers builds a much better house then some of the other builders in the area. The schools around these areas I hear are good. And all sort of new shopping & restaurants pop up as the area becomes even more developed. Metro will eventually make it to the area (farther down Loudoun County Parkway). When that happens you can take the Metro to Dulles airport or to Reston for work.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:57 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,126,066 times
Some areas of Loudoun have switched elementary schools every year for the last four years. Reston area schools are much more stable as Fairfax is pretty much built out. Be careful of where you relocate. My son took the bus 50 minutes each way to Oakton HS. A few blocks away they went to South Lakes which was less than 10 minutes away. We moved, after my son's freshmen year and he went to Lake Braddock HS after that. His bus ride was less than 10 minutes, which meant he got an extra 40 minutes of sleep each day.

Loudoun is still many years behind on building schools, so there are lots of trailers and shifting boundaries every year. If you are considering Loudoun, I suggest you review their school plans and google for articles on Loudoun and schools, you should find several in Washington Post.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,953,648 times
Everone seems to have skipped over Sterling but you should take a look at that area, it is very close to Reston and the likelihood of school boundaries changing is very low as there is very little new construction. The 20164 zip area north of route 7 goes to Dominion High School, which has a very good reputation. Students from the Lowes Island section of Sterling attend that school as do the students from Sugarland Run. The Sugarland Run area has homes built in the 70's which may be a little older than you would like but you can find a 4 bedroom in your price range. You might ask Jilllybean, a poster on this forum, for her opinion of the area. I personally like it, the lots are wooded with mature trees, there are paved walking paths throughout the community, and there is Northern Virginia Community College in walking distance of a large part of the community.

The high school in the 20165 zip is Potomac Falls, also a good reputation. Students from the Potomac Lakes, Countryside, and Cascades areas go to that school. You may find a detached home in your price range in that area later on in the year, there is not much on the market now. If you want a newer home, you are probably looking at a townhouse. Occasionally you will find one with 4 bedrooms but you probably will have to convert the lower level family room into a bedroom. Some of the 4 level townhouses have lofts which could also be used as a 4th bedroom.

Use homedatabase.com to check out the available homes in the area. I personally would live as close to work as possible, a long commute affects everyone in the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia