U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:41 PM

755 posts, read 1,547,450 times

Advertisements

Here's my stats:

Mid-twenties, single, female, two small dogs, no children, will work at either the Pentagon, Anacostia or the Navy Yard (I will know for sure in a few weeks). I am really looking for atleast a two bed/two bath and prefer to stay in the Arlington/Alexandria area (I am open to other areas that are safe, close to shopping, and with a commute 30 minutes or less). I want the option of either taking public transportation or driving when I want (without my commute time jumping to an hour plus). So, if you were in my shoes...where would you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 07:02 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,125,623 times
If you want a commute of 30 minutes or less, I'd do Crystal City.

However, to answer the original question in your title, with 2600 a month to live, I'd find a 1 bedroom that's about 1000 with utilities at 300 at the most and then save the rest for an early retirement

Old 10-24-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
If you want a commute of 30 minutes or less, I'd do Crystal City.

However, to answer the original question in your title, with 2600 a month to live, I'd find a 1 bedroom that's about 1000 with utilities at 300 at the most and then save the rest for an early retirement
My budget includes saving for my retirement. I am coming from a 5-bedroom house, so I do not think a one bedroom is going to work for me.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:38 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,746,394 times
I'd wait to see which of the three possible work locations you had before getting too serious. There are no locations that are 30 minutes or less form all of them unless you live on a houseboat. $2600 is going to stand you in pretty good stead no matter where you end up, and if it's Pentagon or Navy Yard, you'll likely want to rely on Metro, so basically, you're going to need one of three possible strategies rather than just one...

Old 10-24-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I'd wait to see which of the three possible work locations you had before getting too serious. There are no locations that are 30 minutes or less form all of them unless you live on a houseboat. $2600 is going to stand you in pretty good stead no matter where you end up, and if it's Pentagon or Navy Yard, you'll likely want to rely on Metro, so basically, you're going to need one of three possible strategies rather than just one...
So where can I buy a houseboat?

Old 10-24-2007, 08:11 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,746,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
So where can I buy a houseboat?
Actually, a friend of a friend did it for years. Great place to go hang out for a few beers. He had a berth along Maine Avenue. And assuming that by Anacostia, you mean something at Bolling, all three are water-accessible. But I think 'maintaining the boat' needs to be your only outside interest. That would be a drawback for me. Otherwise, if you're at the Navy Yard, you might think about Penn Quarter/Gallery Place downtown. At the Pentagon, there's everything from Springfield, to Alexandria, to Crystal City, and on out to Ballston to think about. If it's Bolling, you'll pretty much have to drive, so that would be more of a challenge...

Old 10-24-2007, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,162 times
Default Where to live...

Your budget allows for a sky's the limit approach. It is much like picking a college, and having a proper fit. Do you what a "walking" community, wher you can walk to get groceries, walk the dog to a local park? An area that has an active, 20-30's night life? Or do you want a neighborhood which is quieter. In some communities just a few blocks, and make a world of difference.

I am looking for a local website that gives great community profiles. I can't find it just yet. I will try to post it within a day or two. It has a community by community break down with a really commentary.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:18 PM

This is such a hard choice to make. To add to my confusion, I was contacted on Friday about a position at Ft. Belvoir. Although I am not sure I would enjoy working there versus say the Pentagon. I have worked at Bolling before (for six months) and lived in the Pentagon at Metropolitan Row, my hours at the time was 6:30 to 3. I took 395 to 295 going and hoped on us 1 (is that the one that runs parallel to 395?) on the way back. It never took me more than 20 minutes and I averaged 15 minutes door to door. I also loved being able to walk to the bed, bath and beyond/grocery/ice cream shop etc. but the Pentagon at Metropolitan Row runs an average of $3k+ for a 2 bedroom..NOT. And I also do not want to work somewhere that forces me to drive (I took the metro once from Crystal City to Bolling and then the bus to the gate...NEVER AGAIN). SOOOO, I am thinking the pentagon job will be my main focus.
I would love to be close to a night-life, but most importantly I would love to be able to walk a block or two and grab some Starbucks or do some shopping. My dogs are my babies and I would love to be able to take them to a near park..etc. I saw some great condos in Lorton but am thinking this will be quite far from the Pentagon. I also liked Avalon at Cameron Court (only place I saw with individual garages), but the amenities that some of the high rises have in that area is nicer. The whole garden style versus high rise is another thing I am struggling with.

So I go back to my original question, what would you all do for a budget of $2,600?

Thanks again for the assistance!

Old 10-28-2007, 08:46 PM

349 posts, read 1,307,762 times
Have you thought about looking at the Shirlington area. It has most of the amenities you would see in Pentagon City for about $500-$1000 less a month. At the $2600 you could even get a nice townhome in the area; there is a new community down the street from me that just went from condo to rental that 3/3/2car for about $2500/mo. The commute to the pentagon would be about 5-10 minutes and the Navy Yard is 20-30 depending on traffic. Park wise you have most of 4 mile run in your backyard.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:19 PM

Zack - Is Shirlington metro accessible? Or would the only option be to drive? Sounds like it would be a great area to consider, do you know what zip? Thanks for the response!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia