Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:44 AM

11 posts, read 47,597 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for houses in the Sterling area and just wanted some opinions on the area. Although we're both from NoVa we're woefully unfamiliar with the area. We'd like a relatively family friendly area with decent schools and low crime. There is actually a house we're interested in so thoughts/comments/recommendations would be greatly welcomed (re: specific areas to avoid/target, etc.). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 08:26 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
Stick to the neighborhoods that feed into Potomac Falls HS. and Riverbend MS.

Cascades, Lowes Island are very nice neighborhood. Countryside is nice as well but I prefer the first two.

Sugar land run is older and the schools aren't the very best but it's better than alot of sterling. I believe they go to Dominion HS.

Basically stay East of rt7. The neighborhoods along Algonkian PKwy are nice.

Stay away from Sterling park.

Where is the house you're interested in?

Old 10-26-2007, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the response! Most of the homes we are looking at are in Sugarland Run (although we were getting pushed to see places in Sterling Park, so thanks for the heads up!). Do you think Sugarland Run is a "bad" area to be buying in?

Old 10-26-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Do you think Sugarland Run is a "bad" area to be buying in
humm that subjective.
The loudoun county market right now is very soft. so you might be able to get a great deal in better neighborhood

That neighborhood has seen changes over the last 10 years not for the best. That's not to say it's horrible.(it not crime ridden etc...) But how is it trending now? will it be a good investment and still safe in 5 years?
I haven't been through there in 3 years...we choose NOT to buy there for many reasons.

I personally would not buy a home myself in that neighborhood, but my situation may be different from yours etc...It just wasn't a good fit for us. We went out to Leesburg.

If you are in the area... drive through it on the weekend both day and night. What do you see? I think it's still a basically blue collar neighborhood with families. I'd really look hard though before I bought.

I'd look into Countryside before Sugarland run.

A TH in Cascades would be better IMO than a house in Sugarland run. But that's for me.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:45 PM

76 posts, read 345,495 times
Hi - I think Cascades is awesome and a great place for families. The schools are excellent - agree with PP about feeding into Riverbend MS and Pot Falls HS. Sugarland Run is nice, but I would first look to see what you could get in the same price range in Cascades or Countryside.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:29 PM

I think our preference is actually a house (we have 3 big dogs) and I'm having a tough time finding other homes in our price range in the other areas but I'll keep looking (my husband does tell me he has the winning lottery ticket in his pocket though ... it's part of a long-term investment strategy ...).

I probably should have been clearer in my original post - we don't have kids right at this moment but will likely have them soon enough upon moving so I just want to make sure we're not looking at a horrendous area.

I really appreciate the comments - if anyone has anymore please post them (especially if they are along the lines of "don't worry about buying in Sugarland Run, I love it there!" jk, if you have bad things too please let me know). Sterling is really as far out as we want to go - with traffic being what it is I really don't want to deal with an hour+ commute each way.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I just want to make sure we're not looking at a horrendous area.
no it's not. just older and lower income area.

Totally understand on not wanting an hour+ commute! And about no TH (we did the same, 3 kids, dog etc...)

Countryside may have things more in your price range than Cascades. Some have nice yards some are puney.

This weekend is supposed to be nice... take adrive out there and really drive around the neighborhoods to see who's hanging out etc...

Biggest NO..is Sterling Park (yes some neighborhoods are fine but as a whole it's not the nicest part of sterling)

ANd...even though you don't have kids now... schools are HUGE forr e-sale in this area. so it's something to keep in mind.

Good luck!

Old 10-27-2007, 01:42 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buyingahouse View Post
I really appreciate the comments - if anyone has anymore please post them (especially if they are along the lines of "don't worry about buying in Sugarland Run, I love it there!" jk, if you have bad things too please let me know). Sterling is really as far out as we want to go - with traffic being what it is I really don't want to deal with an hour+ commute each way.
Don't worry about buying in Sugarland Run, I love it there!

Okay, so maybe I wouldn't go that far. It's an okay place though. It wouldn't be the first place I'd recommend someone to settle in Sterling, but I also wouldn't not recommend it.

I pretty much have to agree with most of what 5stones has posted. Sugarland Run as a whole isn't awful by any means. It's the sort of thing where the homes are older and in more outdated style, and a some could use a new coat of paint, some of the yards could use a mow, and that sort of thing. It's decidedly older and middle class or working class (is that an outdated term?) which serves as a contrast to the rest of newly built, sparkly clean Loudoun County.

Dominion High is a good school, not as good as Potomac Falls (Cascades), but better than Park View (Sterling Park). It actually has a magnet program for the county's gifted science and technology students. I believe that there are two elementary schools that pull from Sugarland Run. They are Meadowland and Sugarland. If you can, try to stay within the Meadowland boundaries. It's significantly better.

One other thing to note is the fact that Sugarland Run is entirely residential. There is one tiny strip mall that has maybe four shops and that's it. The rest is homes, apartments and townhouses. They have a pool and community center too. Of course, it's not like Sterling is that massive anyways, so more shopping and dining is just a five minute drive away down over to Route 7.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:00 AM

^
good advice...

Quote:
try to stay within the Meadowland boundaries
yes! I couldn't think of the name.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:57 PM

73 posts, read 458,295 times
Ds3 just graduated from Briar Woods, first graduating class. The school is half empty so a great-to-be-at-school at this stage of the game - best teachers, best principal, new neighborhoods (read: $$$).

He was one of of four or so kids pulled from Loudoun High District based on our local - and it was a total fluke and a godsend. He got to be a big fish in a small pond for two years!

Hard to do in the overpopulated schools in Loudoun.

If you don't have kids yet DON'T WORRY! Sheesh it will all change before they are in school anyway. The worst school in the county could become the best magnet school, you just don't know!!!

Plan for the dogs you have, not the kids you don't at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia