Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 12:41 PM

44 posts, read 106,616 times

Advertisements

Please, advise.
1. What should one expect when commuting from NOVA (e.g., Leesburg) to the Montgomery County, MD?
I've looked it up on Google maps, and it's showing 40 something minutes, including a ferry ride?! Is there any other way to get there w/o taking a ferry? If so, how much longer will it take? Can I take something else to get there, rather than driving myself??

2. If commuting from Leesburg to Alexandria, what's the fastest route to take? What are the best hours? Can I take something else to get there, rather than driving myself??

Thank you in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 01:01 PM

237 posts, read 392,817 times
I have a few friends who have discussed in great detail their commutes from Loudoun County, mainly Ashburn to DC and everyone must make a gut check on the trade-off between commute vs. lifestyle.

With that said, if my commute involved any ferry other then the Staten Island Ferry I would probably quit. A ferry as part of a commute sounds like a nightmare.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:55 PM

9,887 posts, read 14,159,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_M View Post
Please, advise.
1. What should one expect when commuting from NOVA (e.g., Leesburg) to the Montgomery County, MD?
I've looked it up on Google maps, and it's showing 40 something minutes, including a ferry ride?! Is there any other way to get there w/o taking a ferry?
You can take the Greenway to the Toll Road to the Beltway to Mont. County, Md. Not knowing where you are starting in Leesburg, or where in Mont Co. you are going, I would estimate the time to take anywhere from 50 minutes (zero traffic at 4 am) to an hour 45 minutes (rush hours). This route will cost you about $15/ day in tolls.

Quote:
Can I take something else to get there, rather than driving myself?
Let's see...you could drive to a commuter lot, and then take a bus to the Metro. Take the Metro to Mont Co. Depending on where you need to be, you'll probably need to take another bus or shuttle to your workplace. Expect this to take from 1:40 to 2:30 each way. This will also cost approximately $15/day, but you may work for a company that subsidizes public transportation.

Oh, you could also hire a driver......I imagine that cost is much more.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:59 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,462,038 times
Do you have to stay in Leesburg?

Old 05-07-2013, 02:16 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,520,057 times
There's a MARC station in Point of Rocks, maybe 15 minutes from Leesburg. Where in MoCo are you heading?

Anything N of Gaithersburg I'd head up 15 to 270 and avoid having to cough up $7 each way to take 267.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:17 PM

No, I don't have to stay there. It's just that housing market there seems to be a lot more affordable than anywhere closer to D.C. Would you say there are reasonably priced and safe areas in Montgomery Co. ? (I can't afford anything higher than 400 thousand, even that is a bit of a stretch.)
Thanks!!

Old 05-07-2013, 02:19 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,520,057 times
Frederick County MD is perfectly safe, last I checked and Frederick is cheaper than Leesburg.

Clarksburg, Germantown, and Damascus might also be options for you.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:50 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,811,722 times
Montgomery County is a big county. If you tell us where in the county you will be working, we can probably give you some ideas for places that work with your budget and a reasonable commute.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:45 AM

I don't know where exactly yet I'll have a job: maybe in NOVA, maybe in MD.
One thing I've learned on this forum (as well as from my research:-)) that how far one lives from his/her work is of crucial importance! :-)

Old 05-09-2013, 11:46 AM

9,887 posts, read 14,159,951 times
Quote:
I don't know where exactly yet I'll have a job: maybe in NOVA, maybe in MD.
One thing I've learned on this forum (as well as from my research:-)) that how far one lives from his/her work is of crucial importance! :-)
yes, find the job then the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia