U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-29-2013, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
169 posts, read 458,974 times
Reputation: 138

Advertisements

I live in Fairfax area (zip:22033) and my 2 year old son goes to Chesterbrook Academy which is very close to our house. Over the last couple of months we observed that he is absolutely not liking to go there. In their toddler room there are around 20-24 students (including part-time) and 4 teachers. I think the ratio is fine but the space of the room bothers me. I think its too small for 20-24 students. We observed that when there are less number of students in the room mostly by evening he is more active and playful otherwise he just shut himself down.
We talked to our pediatrician and she suggested that he is probably overwhelmed with the number of students and recommended that we go to a center which has smaller groups. She suggested to look into NAEYC accredited centers which enforce smaller groups. Another option is home day care which we are not very comfortable with but ready to explore that option.

So far we found only Reston Children's Center | Infant & Toddler, Preschool, Private Kindergarten, Before/After School and Summer Camp Programs which has 12-15 group size and is within a reasonable commute. Anyone has any experiences with them?

Does anyone has personal experiences with licensed home day care?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2013, 03:06 PM
 
976 posts, read 1,548,150 times
Reputation: 651
We use a home daycare, and I absolutely love it. My son has been with her since he was 7 weeks old (he just turned 1 last weekend). There are never more than 5 kids there, often only 4, and they're all pretty close in age. I would easily consider our daycare provider to be a friend of mine now. I had toured multiple commercial facilities and just didn't care for the, IMO, factory-like setting of the infant rooms (rows of cribs, rows of swings, etc.). I much prefer my kids be in a more homey environment until they're a bit older, at which point we'll look into preschools. I'm currently expecting a second baby, and she's already agreed to take the new one as well so my kids can stay together, whereas they would be in separate "rooms" at a commercial daycare facility.

The challenges with a home daycare are that it is really up to you to ask lots of questions and what you feel necessary to "screen" the care provider. I know my provider has a Bachelor's degree, I've met her husband and her two elementary school age children (everyone else who lives in the home), and she provided both references and a contact list for the parents whose children she was watching when I interviewed with her. She's also somewhat picky about the children she will watch and meets with the child and parents more than once before "accepting" them, which I also like.

Another challenge is scheduling for vacations. I am fortunate to have the ability to work from home when needed. My daycare provider takes off for her kids' spring break, which was this whole week, so I've been home with my son all week. If my provider gets very sick or has a family emergency, we're on our own to find backup or stay home. She will take another week in July or August for summer vacation. She also takes all Federal holidays, but I get most of those off as well anyway, so that's not much of an issue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2013, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Reston, VA
2,035 posts, read 3,722,200 times
Reputation: 1181
I have a friend who loves Reston Children's Center.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2013, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
169 posts, read 458,974 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
We use a home daycare, and I absolutely love it. My son has been with her since he was 7 weeks old (he just turned 1 last weekend). There are never more than 5 kids there, often only 4, and they're all pretty close in age. I would easily consider our daycare provider to be a friend of mine now. I had toured multiple commercial facilities and just didn't care for the, IMO, factory-like setting of the infant rooms (rows of cribs, rows of swings, etc.). I much prefer my kids be in a more homey environment until they're a bit older, at which point we'll look into preschools. I'm currently expecting a second baby, and she's already agreed to take the new one as well so my kids can stay together, whereas they would be in separate "rooms" at a commercial daycare facility.

The challenges with a home daycare are that it is really up to you to ask lots of questions and what you feel necessary to "screen" the care provider. I know my provider has a Bachelor's degree, I've met her husband and her two elementary school age children (everyone else who lives in the home), and she provided both references and a contact list for the parents whose children she was watching when I interviewed with her. She's also somewhat picky about the children she will watch and meets with the child and parents more than once before "accepting" them, which I also like.

Another challenge is scheduling for vacations. I am fortunate to have the ability to work from home when needed. My daycare provider takes off for her kids' spring break, which was this whole week, so I've been home with my son all week. If my provider gets very sick or has a family emergency, we're on our own to find backup or stay home. She will take another week in July or August for summer vacation. She also takes all Federal holidays, but I get most of those off as well anyway, so that's not much of an issue.
Thanks for the good insight into home day care. If she is in or around Fairfax, can you let me know if she has space? Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2013, 03:45 PM
 
10,742 posts, read 12,911,113 times
Reputation: 6672
I'll chime in as someone who used a daycare center extensively and also had a "stint" in home daycare.

They both have their plusses and minus. I was lucky in that I found a center that had very low daycare provider turnover and there were never more than about 12 kids in the toddler room and no more than 8 in the infant room. I never felt like it was too overwhelming for my kids. However at 20-24, I certainly agree that for many kids--especially ones that might be more quiet/introverted--that could be just way too much.

When my son was about 2.5, I did move him into a home daycare that was very well regarded and had about 4 kids there. While he loved the provider, he was so used to the daycare center and the high level of activity that he had a really hard time adjusted to the very slow pace of being in the home. We ended up moving him back to his center and he went there through Kindergarten.

I think it's worth investigating a home daycare for your child. I bet the sheer numbers there are just exhausting for him. I think there are a lot of very high quality care providers in this area and you'll know the right one when you find it. Fortunately, you child is past the infant stage and it's going to be a lot easier to get in somewhere.

Oh, the other thing. The centers did work for me with regard to leave/closures, etc. When my kids were young I had absolutely very little paid time off. I could not have tolerated a daycare that closed with each school break as well as school days. One of my employees is going through this now. Her daycare provider closes with PWC schools close--which recently has been often. Doesn't matter that there was only one inch of snow on the ground, she closed. My employee has missed a lot of time off work and IMO that sort of time off for the provider seems a little unreasonable. I never had to deal with that at the center I used.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2013, 01:12 AM
 
2,359 posts, read 2,517,820 times
Reputation: 1141
fairfax county is going to implement daycares down from 12 to 7 soon for private(home) daycares. so good luck in searching for an open space and have enough money to pay whatever private daycare is still open.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2013, 04:55 AM
 
10,742 posts, read 12,911,113 times
Reputation: 6672
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
fairfax county is going to implement daycares down from 12 to 7 soon for private(home) daycares. so good luck in searching for an open space and have enough money to pay whatever private daycare is still open.

Did they actually go through with that. I know I saw this on the news 2 weeks ago but I had not heard if it was official.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2013, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Fairfax County
1,534 posts, read 3,429,132 times
Reputation: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Did they actually go through with that. I know I saw this on the news 2 weeks ago but I had not heard if it was official.
It is still in the review process. The Board of Supervisors has to approve it and there is another Public Hearing in May.

Home Child Care Facilities in Fairfax County*- Fairfax County, Virginia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2013, 12:37 PM
 
2,359 posts, read 2,517,820 times
Reputation: 1141
the town of vienna has already ruled to cut it to 7, regardless of the county.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:13 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top