Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 06:55 PM

770 posts, read 3,679,796 times

Advertisements

I have family from NY that is flying to California for vacation. They have a 4 hour lay over at Dulles Airport, and we wanted to pick them up and grab dinner or do something. Any ideas on places close to the airport where we can eat or do something. I have two small children, so a bar is out of the question Thanks! Also the time will be around dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 07:07 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
4 hours is going to be awfully tough. They'll only really have 90 minutes or so because it will take them a good 45 minutes to get off the plane and ride the tram or walk the underground to get to you, and then they'll want to be back in time to go through security again, which can be a mess if you get unlucky at Dulles. I always try to give myself at least 90 minutes there, usually closer to 2 hours. I've had too many times where the security lines are humongous.

I'm not trying to be negative, but if you really want to see them I think I'd bring food to the airport and just have a "picnic" in the airport with them.

If you still want to try it, Generous George's is a pizza place just down the road in Herndon that is very kid friendly.

Generous George's Positive Pizza Place Herndon, VA

Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
There are several chains in Chantilly right at Rt. 50 and Rt. 28 if you head south from the airport. Famous Dave's, Red Robin, IHOP, a steak place (can't remember the name) plus others. If you look on Yelp you can get an idea of what's at that intersection. We did that for a morning at IHOP when our DS had a layover but not enough time to come to our house.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:13 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Time can get away from you, but it looks like there's only one sit down place outside security, Sit Down Pubs & Restaurants, Harry's Tap Room. Not sure how much of a bar it is for kids, but it would let you take your time and not worry about making connections, and the kids can always watch the planes.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:20 PM

467 posts, read 1,521,953 times
Amphora Diner in Herndon is VERY close to Dulles and can get you in and out quickly.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:47 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post
Amphora Diner in Herndon is VERY close to Dulles and can get you in and out quickly.

I second Amphora - close to Dulles and good food!

Old 04-02-2013, 10:21 PM

30 posts, read 46,495 times
4hrs is cutting it close to leave the airport and get back. Harry's Tap Room is in the airport by the ticket counters. Prices aren't too bad and the food I've had there is pretty good. Otherwise, Red, Hot and Blue is in Herndon, on Sunrise Valley Rd, about 10-15 minutes from the airport, depending on traffic. I've never had bad food there, actually, the food is pretty damn good, and the service is usually pretty fast.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:41 AM

687 posts, read 1,376,670 times
If all you have is 4 hours it makes zero sense to leave the airport. It will take you at least half that time getting out of the airport and going through security to get back in. And planes typically board you at least 30 minutes before take off. So all you realistically have is maybe an hour. And after all that hassle you would need to take a taxi to get anywhere. In heavy Route 28 traffic. Save yourself the grief. Eat dinner in the airport and find a spot to read a book or play with your smartphone.

Last edited by Fundman; 04-03-2013 at 08:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia