Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times

Advertisements

Aww yeah, wassup yo, when you say hip hop and rap, only one thing comes to mind: Honey Pig Korean barbecue, yo! Try the awesome bulgogi and peace out, yo!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 01:40 PM

206 posts, read 432,301 times
Yeah, that definitely did not make me want to visit that place.

I wish I could find a decent Korean restaurant that served bulgogi that wasn't like 25% gristle (I'm looking at you, Yechon).

Old 03-19-2013, 02:47 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,377 times
Love me some Honey Pig

Old 03-19-2013, 11:26 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,149,430 times
I am confused by this ad. Judging by the music, this is clearly not meant for the immigrant Korean community. However, it's not exactly inviting to non-Korean clientele either.

There is certain vibe of poseur to this ad.

I like Cho's Garden on R50/29.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:56 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,402 times
Learn how to make your own bulgogi. We have Korean neighbors and when the parents visit, we have the mom teach us how to make a Korean dish (one is bulgogi). She can't speak much english but she'll do a little cooking show for us while her daughter translates. She holds up each ingredient and we video tape the whole thing. I will never buy bulgogi at a restaurant again....I've been spoiled.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:46 AM

244 posts, read 565,418 times
Honey Pig is awesome. This ad, not so much. Their Galbi cooked over charcoal is pricey but extremely good. I like Honey Pig partly for the food, partly for the atmosphere. If I wanted to get stuffed like a pig, I go to Il Mee in Annandale, which also has a good sushi section as far as buffet goes.

I've never had as good Bulgogi as what I've eaten from a Korean friend's home. That and the seaweed they used was not available in the US. I cry each time we try to cook Bulgogi at home, knowing that it will never be as good. Even the stuff hand-packed by Korean old ladies at Super H doesn't taste nearly as good.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:59 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrekyos View Post
I wish I could find a decent Korean restaurant that served bulgogi that wasn't like 25% gristle (I'm looking at you, Yechon).
I was there back in February, the bulgogi that I got was nothing like yours.

Did you ask them to return it and get a better bulgogi dish?

Old 03-20-2013, 08:08 AM

47 posts, read 109,827 times
Yechon is way better than Honey Pig...

Old 03-20-2013, 11:25 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,149,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
Learn how to make your own bulgogi. We have Korean neighbors and when the parents visit, we have the mom teach us how to make a Korean dish (one is bulgogi). She can't speak much english but she'll do a little cooking show for us while her daughter translates. She holds up each ingredient and we video tape the whole thing. I will never buy bulgogi at a restaurant again....I've been spoiled.
I worked in Seoul, ROK for a while and the restaurant Korean BBQ there cannot be beaten by home-cooking only because some of these restaurants had incredible setup for grilling meats that couldn't be replicated at home. The BBQ we get here in NoVA is bit of a sad imitation of the real thing it seems. I think our Korean food is not as authentic or "advanced" as Korean food in L.A, NYC, etc... yet. But that goes for other cuisines too, such as Thai and Moroccan.

But things are getting better everyday here.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:21 AM

206 posts, read 432,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
I worked in Seoul, ROK for a while and the restaurant Korean BBQ there cannot be beaten by home-cooking only because some of these restaurants had incredible setup for grilling meats that couldn't be replicated at home. The BBQ we get here in NoVA is bit of a sad imitation of the real thing it seems. I think our Korean food is not as authentic or "advanced" as Korean food in L.A, NYC, etc... yet. But that goes for other cuisines too, such as Thai and Moroccan.

But things are getting better everyday here.
Yeah, Yechon just uses those portable gas stoves (called "konro" in Japanese, I dunno the Korean word for it). I have one of those, and a bulgogi pan from H-mart. I got gristly stuff twice from Yechon, so I just make my own now when I get the craving for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia