Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 01:57 PM

19 posts, read 28,345 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am possibly locating for a job, from CT. It would be around Burke, VA. The housing costs look outrageous, even though my salary will be higher. Where is a "cheaper" place to rent? I don't care TOO much about the area.
I am living with my boyfriend who I will have to be able to support until he can get a job but that shouldnt be TOO expensive. However, he needs to be able to get into school in the area. GMU is closest. Are there any other public 4 year colleges?? His GPA is bad...failed out of college at 19 (0.8 GPA) but now went back in mid 20s and has a 3.7 since he went back (past 30 credits). He will take a year off to establish residency in a new state. Would they consider the GPA after the several years off/mess up at 19?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 02:07 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,955,204 times
You'll want to contact admissions at GMU to ask about the GPA questions. Every university calculates incoming GPA differently. Every university has different credits they'll accept as well--you may find that some schools accept more than others.

Other local universities:
Marymount (Private, catholic, but can be pretty affordable)
Virginia Tech and UVA (satellite programs in Arlington/Falls Church)
Georgetown and George Washington (expensive private schools)
University of Maryland (Public...but obviously Maryland and about an hour from Burke)

What is your budget for housing? That will help with suggestions. Burke is usually one of the more "affordable" suggestions given for townhouses and single family homes, but there aren't many apartments so there aren't as many cheap options. How long are you willing to commute?

Old 04-14-2013, 02:35 PM

727 posts, read 1,535,209 times
http://www.nvcc.edu

Check out Northern Virginia Community College. They have campuses all over, and he'll pay a fraction of the cost for tuition.

Last edited by jzcrandall; 04-14-2013 at 03:00 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 06:14 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,916,921 times
well as long as he has shown improvements in his grades i think he should be fine to get into GMU. i think he has a better shot of getting in as out of state than he would instate (more $$), but after a year he could apply for in state tuition.

im exactly like him, except im late 20s and going to pitt.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:45 PM

Well he can't do community college because he is in a 4 year school now and is done with gen eds. Just needs the other classes now. He was going to take a year off and establish residency then apply. Maybe take 1 or 2 classes in the meantime as an out of state.

I am not looking to buy a home, looking for apartments. We pay $800 in CT, but I am sure it is more expensive in the DC metro area. We can go probably a half hour radius. He does need to be able to get a job too, however.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:01 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,916,921 times
as long as he submits an personal statement stating why he messed up, what he learned from it, how he went about changing and provide his gradual improvements, i think he has a chance at mason.

also rent you should expect roughly 1k+ around here.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:21 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,929,579 times
When you say that you don't care TOO much about the area, does that mean that you aren't worried about living in an aging garden apartment complex adjacent to an interstate? Or that you are not concerned with crime? Will either of you have to depend on public transit to get to work or school?

Springfield has lots of relatively affordable apartments, but you should probably plan on spending $1500 for a 1 BR.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:03 AM

6,569 posts, read 8,418,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
as long as he submits an personal statement stating why he messed up, what he learned from it, how he went about changing and provide his gradual improvements, i think he has a chance at mason.
While this may be true, your BF should contact the admissions office directly. Only they can say definitively.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:28 PM

I care a little about crime. Don't care about the type of apartment...all we need is a washer dryer on site. Need literally no other amenities.also, no public transit.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:48 AM

979 posts, read 1,778,124 times
For cheaper rents, you might want to check on craigslist for sublets and private rentals. If affordability is top priority, you may have to be more flexible on your max commute time. When I first moved to this area, I got an apartment in Manassas because that is a more affordable area, and I was living alone and just about a year out of college, so I couldn't afford much. A commute of 30 minutes or less is, sadly, the exception moreso than the rule around here. If you have flexibility in your commuting TIMES, that may help. When I lived in Manassas, I worked in Chantilly and was in the office from about 6am-2pm, which helped me to avoid some traffic (though 28 would still get backed up even at that early hour as the majority of blue collar workers were heading out, but I avoided school traffic).

I also grew up in CT, and things can be very different around DC (although, it may depend on what area even in CT you're accustomed to, as I lived in the middle of nowhere).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia